Not happy with real estate agent 's services

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Michaelthebest, 7th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Michaelthebest

Michaelthebest New Member

I am selling my unit and get a sales agent to organize it.

The agent has a good sales record and I am quite comfortable with it. However, the agent passed my unit to his assistant to sell. On the advertisement, both of their name are listed. His assistant just do everything (put ad on the web and arrange for inspection) and that's all. The unit has been on the market for 3 weeks and so far they only arranged for 1 open inspection. And no more scheduled inspection listed on the ad. Since I signed the agreement, the agent never answer my call(simply ignore), my main contact is the assistant. The assistant never call me as well, I need to call him and ask for update. And the response are always the same: the market is weak, will take a while to sell, say 2 months..etc)

I am really disappointed on the arrangement and also their attitude. It seems that both of them are not motivated and just let the advertisement sits there. We signed the exclusive sales agreement, I am liable for the advertising regardless sold or unsold. On top of that they will receive commission as well. I thought they will do a good job with all those benefits.

Just wondering, is it normal for the real estate agent act like that? They used to be very nice before signing the agreement, however they just ignore customer once the agreement is signed.

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation? I was thinking to change agent, but there is no guarantee the other agent is better. My unit is around $430k, will property value be a reason that makes the agents not motivated? And also the weak market?

Also, they put 'contact agent' as the price, rather than a real number. Is there any advantage of this? I don't understand the purpose of this strategy.

2. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

I had issues with my place not selling after 2.months and now I'm arguing that they failed to supply service as discribed.
    I posted it all on threads on here but consensus is I'm screwed and have to pay out the adertiadver cost before I can move to second.company to sell.
    Price as contact agent is common since they brought in statement of information so people are ment to look there lol
    I never do. If it's not visible I just move past it.

Remember they work for you so you can get them to change that.
    Ask to speak to the person in-charge of property sales and say you lost confidence is sales staff and they should change them around

The Y-man likes this.
  3. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Where is the property? $430k in a small country town might be a lot of money.

Did you agree in your meeting what the advert would look like?

I personally don't like the "contact agent" price strategy - to me it says "we don't want to show because it is so high it would scare you"

The Y-man

5. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Sad to hear..

I would interview at-least handful before picking one and if possible get feedback from some of the sellers who have used them in the past.

Not to mention, websites like RateMyAgent

Cheers,

6. jim1964

jim1964 1941

[QUOTE "contact agent" price strategy [/QUOTE]

It is also sometimes code for the agent has no idea what the house is actually worth, as bad as best offers.

7. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I never contact any one who has contact agent for price.
    stupid and lazy strategy and will put off a lot of potential buyers
    it has a touch of arrogant to it too, I want sell you something but I don't give a #@#$
    call me for price :)

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• What was the strategy discussed between you and the agent?
    • Is this documented in the marketing strategy?
    • What are the contact points in the proposal/agency agreement?

9. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Unless it’s in Victoria and then you just look at the statement of information which has the price. Makes me laugh every time I see contact agent on a Victorian add....what’s the point???

10. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Some one put up a post a few days ago about a property that had been on the market for almost 100 days in Syd or Melb and wanted to know what was wrong with the property, but in the link it said contact agent for price.

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

add to that, we dont put prices on the ads because we want you to call us and so we can do the sales pitch on you and do pressure tactics

different if the property is $40m or a huge development site

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

TMNT likes this.
  13. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

This tactic may work for potential overseas buyers. Saw an ad, using contact agent, no SoI and contact for inspection...

14. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure it is illegal to list a property in Victoria without an SOI. I’ve seen maybe 1 or 2 out of hundreds I’ve looked out without a SOI which shows the asking price and comparable sales

15. Michaelthebest

Michaelthebest New Member

Thank you all for all opinion. I get used to it now and decided to leave it to the agent. I don't have any expectation on the agent. Just tell them what I want and leave it with them. I believe the issues of customer services happen regardless whoever the agent is. When I spoke to many many agents before using their services, they always say sth nice but blurred. It just the nature of the industry. The mistake I made is to put my property for sale at the wrong time, especially now as it's buyer's market, and seller don't have too much power on negotiation. If I sell it last year during the peak time, it properly easier and less time of worries. Btw, my unit is in south-west Sydney, it's a 3 years old one bedder