VIC Not every resale makes a profit

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Scott No Mates, 20th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In an article from the Aust Financial Review today (this may be behind a paywall), commentary from Core Logic reveals that 25% of resales in Melbourne CBD are made at a loss :eek:

Other interesting stats:

upload_2017-12-20_22-45-55.png

Biggest $ loss - Strathfield - more than triple the loss achieved in Melbourne (& double of Palmerston)

Also interesting to note is that East Fremantle has over 90% of resales in profit (after 11 years holding).

ellejay and Perthguy like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The image isn't comparing apples with apples though... looks like they are only taking one council area from each city.

And in the case of Strathfield, only 5% of properties sold result in a loss anyway, and these properties making a loss only have a median hold period of 3.6 years. If you do that to every council, and looked at what made a gain and what made a loss, Strathfield did well (only 5% of properties sold at a loss) compared to every council areas in most other states, especially Darwin where what's noted as a well performing council area still has 1 in 5 homes selling at a loss, and I'm sure the hold period would be longer than just 3.6 years.

The loss number - Strathfield houses are expensive, often 3 mill plus. This is contributing to that "big" number for average loss. But that would be small dollars relative to the value of the housing.

This is also from the article (believe it to be the properties of homes resulting in a loss) - you can see everything in and around Sydney has performed, thanks to this recent boom: 1513667034692.png

Last edited: 21st Dec, 2017
    legallyblonde likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Playford in Adelaide doesnt surprise me. Lots of people who bought poorly at the peak of last cycle here would be losing money when they sell now. But on the flip side, those who bought well at the bottom of the current cycle are doing well.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would be the same on the inner south-side of Brisbane in 4-6 pack walkup 2 bedroom units ,some we have looked at are over 50-70 k down from what the title holders paid 7 years ago..
    Looked at one yesterday-one bedroom small under 200k-7 klms too the CBD and on the market for over 8 months and they paid 230k many years ago,not everyone wins in real estate as 2018 in that quite large market will be crunch time..

Antoni0 likes this.
  5. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

There's an over supply in some south side areas especially small units.

willair likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I could not get out of that one bedroom unit quick enough ,but the daughter thought because of the cost location it would be somewhere to start,and the agent did have a very solid sales pitch ..The Lady bypassed me and kept telling the daughter compared to all the legal granny flats in peoples back yard's in the area that unit was a winner..I asked the Agent how do people go with insurance and if someone makes a simple phone call to the BCC about the granny flat what happens from your experience,all she said it does not happen ever..

I only let them lie to me 3 times then it's finished say nothing say thankyou for their time and walk out,at least every time we look as it above 30 units now the daughter is starting to understand the real estate agents have no more chance of getting it right then you do..

MTR and Antoni0 like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This comment took me to re.com to check out values nearby. The six-packs locally are very cheap and don't seem to have gone up much in the past few years.

Our son holds one, doesn't have much of a mortgage and it puts money into his pocket each week so I guess he will hold long term and keep renting it out. Rents don't seem to have dropped, but values seem to have flatlined on the old walk-ups.

Last edited: 21st Dec, 2017
    willair likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I don't know what these stats means, because we don't have stats on the product its all lumped together, so it becomes meaningless.

In term of Melb one would assume it is in the main apartments?? because I do know that highest growth in this cycle has been houses/development sites.

radson and willair like this.
  9. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Have a look how many are going up in the Richlands and Forest Lake areas.

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Dec, 2017
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

His unit is in Greenslopes. But there are plenty of the old six-packs in the area that don't seem to have gone up in value. And there are plenty of new builds not too far away - Buranda, Stones Corner (high-rises - hundreds of new units) but as long as he makes more in rent than his mortgage, he will be ok.

Antoni0 likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Summed up perfectly @MTR. Holding period, property type, suburbs, o/o or ip etc all lumped in together.

No serious attempt to create substance just to establish a trend. As sales data goes across states and different property cycles no meaningful comparison can be made.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Richlands and Forest Lake is not investor quality.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF