Not commenced------ Dwellings approved but not commenced. Going down

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Illusivedreams, 25th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

This from Matusik Missive news letter:

The chart shows the number of dwellings approved, but not yet started.

It is one of those rare property charts where, if the lines go down, it is a good thing.

At present, some 9,500 detached houses have been approved but haven’t yet commenced construction. This is about a ten percent of last year’s detached house approvals.

But it is the attached dwelling figures that remain alarming, with about 32,000 apartments/townhouses approved, but still waiting in the wings.
    matus.png
    When breaking it down the supply of approved but unbuilt dwellings is spread out as follows. Both tables are for the year ending March 2018.

Some comments

Despite the recent surge in population growth, there now appears to be an oversupply of new housing construction.

In addition, there is a mismatch between the type of new dwellings being delivered and what the local market really wants.

Many new residential projects are no longer viable.

Some are saying that the lack of housing starts is due to a shortage of skilled construction staff. Maybe? But according to the bureau of statistics, 140,000 construction jobs were created over the three years, but construction jobs declined by 20,000 over the three months alone.

In short, new housing construction is now well passed its market peak.

Comments? Contact me via [email protected]

Good reports and info its free to subscribe to the reports. matu.jpg

2. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Mismatch between what is being delivered and what the market wants is an interesting one.

As more Australians move away from the idea of detached housing and embrace well located apartments I can see good size 3 and 4 bedroom apartments attracting massive prices in the future due to the sheer lack of them being created

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I agree larger apartments. 120-200SQm rather than 75sqm boxes.
    Town houses villas(well panned and executed.)

I think 3 bedroom apartments will definitely increase in demand and vogue soon.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.