QLD Northern suburbs of Brisbane feedback

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Santaslayer, 23rd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Why would you go so far out with $500k?
    You can get a house on very small land under 400m2 in Wavell Heights north for under $500k. Or a regular block in Zillmere. Maybe Geebung.
    Stay close as you can

rookie101 likes this.
  2. natolmi

natolmi New Member

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts on a Bracken Ridge Townhouse.

We had looked at a house proper either in Bracken Ridge or in Deagon however we had shied away from it as we have only been considering newer properties (for the 4 reasons called out a couple of posts up) and newer houses in both suburbs seem to be out of our price range. That was our reasoning, rightly or wrongly, behind looking at the townhouses in Bracken Ridge.

What are peoples thoughts on not buying a newer property and missing out on the non-cash depreciation deductions? It's something my partner and I have focused on but I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts around the importance of it.

3. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

But the houses in the closer areas are very old and require either some renovation or repairs &maintenance..

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You could get closer in for that.
    I remember someone else saying they preferred brick, there are still some around.

Whitecat likes this.
  5. Whitecat

13 St. Lawrence Street Wavell Heights Qld 4012 - House for Sale #121992450 - realestate.com.au

No where near murrumba downs. Twice as nice suburb. Close to chermside. Close to trendy Nundah.
    Totally different world.
    Doesn't appear to need any renos and you would have 50k left over.
    I get it that the small land is a downside but in that case look at somewhere like aspley or geebung.
    The suburbs you are talking about are much more bogan than these suburbs and by bne standards really really far.
    Just trying to help as I've only seen those far away suburbs finally start recovering from 2008. Closer in on the other hand has done better.

6. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

You don't buy property for depreciation purposes. It's got to do with capital growth. I'm sure you'll do better buying an older house in a well located suburb on some decent land than a new townhouse on little land in a suburb further out.

Whitecat likes this.
  7. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

This one in wavell heighgs is already under contract. The issue now a days is that the houses are going under contract very soon. I saw a house listed in Murrumba downs on Monday and it went under offer yesterday even before I could have a look...

Zillmere and Geebung not much stock. The ones available are mostly old Queenslanders. Aspley quite expensive.

At the moment I can strect my budget upto $600,000 if I can find a good property but some one suggested not to buy en expensive IP. Instead buy two cheap ones.

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

yea, for CG ( assuming thats the goal), location and size would be imo the top 2 drivers for CG.
    Id say more important than quality ( eg new build). sydney has shown that ( eg people buying unliveable dumps for millions)..why? because those dumps are well located and have some room to renovate/build etc..

Whitecat likes this.
  9. Whitecat

There are others just like that not sold. Well if you now have 600 then buy something in wavell or somewhere. Even less reason to go so far out. And stop worrying about whether it's new. Up to you Pash but going further out to buy a new property won't get you the growth. I've seen it.

19 Wirega Street Wavell Heights Qld 4012 - House for Sale #122128702 - realestate.com.au

Pash81 likes this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I think it's a good strategy to spread your risk a bit.
    Expensive is subjective though.

11. Matt64

Matt64 Member

New to this and like you have the same budget and looking in these areas as well as Bald Hills. However I was talking to a BA and he recommended against Bracken Ridge due to been an estate suburb. Don't know what others think!

12. nth brisbanite

What's an estate suburb? What's the problem with an estate suburb?

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

There are huge differences and implications between both these strategies ie multiple cheap vs one expensive. Clarity on which strategy you want to pursue is important.

Whitecat likes this.
  14. Sam Yue

Sam Yue Well-Known Member

Looking to buy a house below 400K. North Brisbane looks like a good option for CG.

Whitecat likes this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is it like houses where you have to pay like a body corporate?

16. nth brisbanite

Never heard of the term estate suburb before. Bracken Ridge is just a normal residential suburb. Don't know of any houses (maybe townhouses) that pay body corporate.

17. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Estate = English term I think. Planned communities like Delfin or Lend lease.

Cookie cutter house and land packages.

That's my interpretation.

Whitecat likes this.
  18. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

That's the first time I had heard that Bracken Ridge was an estate suburb... although the newer part of Bracken Ridge (i.e., Enbrook Heights) and around the Bracken Ridge Plaza (i.e., Coles complex with all the other smaller shops) were built around the 90's and could be why it might be termed that.... Estate suburb or not... I'd encourage you to coordinate a drive through as you'll see the houses aren't "cookie-cutter" style builds.

Very handy that BR has both a Coles and a Woolworths in the different "corners" of BR and they are also widening Telegraph Rd from a 2-lane to a 4-lane to cope with the transport throughput adjacent to the new Bracken Ridge Aquatic Centre and Recreation area.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Bracken Ridge is much nicer to live in than Zillmere. Land size is generally larger than the tiny plots in Taigum. Perhaps the BA meant Taigum?

jchan86 and Sam Yue like this.
  20. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

Or Fitzgibbon - a neighbouring suburb?