QLD North suburbs of Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dan2101, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The houses around Bells Pocket Rd and Spitfire Avenue are older but have been well looked after. The western side of the rail line are the newer estates, although some "new" estates date 40 years. Strathpine and Bray Park are good as long as you stay elevated. You will see the flood markers on the roadsides at a couple of creek crossings. Check for tyre burnout marks on the roads!

I would never buy any property that backs onto a creek or river or is in a gully like near the train crossing adjoining Samsonvale Rd

2. Drizzt Do'urden

Drizzt Do'urden Well-Known Member

I live on Buckby St, which intersects both Bells Pocket Rd and Spitfire Avenue. I guess it's personal preference as to which side of the rail line is better. Some of the home owners are more house proud than others, but overall it's fairly neat and tidy. There are quite a few homes though that you wouldn't live in if someone paid you. It's all personal preference.

The shops on the corner of Bells Pocket Rd and Gympie Rd are quite good, and it's always busy. Because I work from home, I'll be lucky to use the car at all. Westfield is walking distance as well although I don't go there except on weekends to do grocery shopping.

I think the area has some potential (ie. it's still kind of cheap), but who doesn't think that about where they live ...

As far as infrastructure goes, Strathpine Railway Station is getting a $15M upgrade and the council recently purchased the old Amcor site in Petrie with the intent of getting a University there, although I haven't heard anything since the purchase of the land.

Other than that, it's still definitely on the lower end of the socio-economic scale, but I can only see it improving. Like a lot of suburbs, it's just going to take time.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  3. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help.
    Very interesting trip as never been to Strathpine or North Brisbane for that matter.
    I like the are between Peter St and Bells Pocket Rd although as with any area I'd be picky.
    I missed an open on Saturday for a rather large block adjacent to the train line but a little beyond my expertise at the moment. Most properties seem to be under offer or sold and little stock available.
    I'll be keeping a close eye on the area.

I also really liked the Zillmere/Boondall/Aspley area, so much small development going on there and quick sales. I drove around Boondall on both days I was there. My jaw was on the ground driving around Lyndhurst/Queenstown Rd with the large blocks with small houses on them and 3m either side to the boundary, just asking for a battleaxe development. Every third house is an opportunity. gimme gimme gimme.

Went to a few opens in Slacks Creek also, need to do a bit more research on others experience with Slacks Creek but could happily make an offer on 2-3 tomorrow.

4. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering why it's been on the market for so long. Disappeared, then came back on again, maybe another sale fell through.

6. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

thought this one appeared to be too cheap, the low price to attract more buyers....

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-arana+hills-120547409

Thank you very much for your e-mail to Ms Christine McKay regarding the property at 20 Cuphea Street, Arana Hills. Christine has asked that I respond to you on her behalf.

Please be advised that there was an unprecedented amount of interest in this home and that, unfortunately for you, it is now Sold, following over 45 inspections and 16 written offers in the first week of the campaign.

Tekoz likes this.
  7. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

@R377 -- did the RE agent indicate how much it sold for? Is that a bit of a slope for the property as well, or a poorly taken photo?

8. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

He was not giving too much away - median is around 470k. He told me it went higher than 470. Offers over 420k

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Tekoz likes this.
  10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the street but at first glance it looks like good value. Decent size block, needs a little up dating.
    It would be interesting to know why it fell over?

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I am looking at a high which is about 180k less much further our than 8 klms...mine will be about 30 klms out......and will rent for $330 per week. What is the rent for stuff like this?

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, seems there's a couple falling through because of finance, but it would be good to know more about this one.

13. Fungus

Fungus Well-Known Member

I'm looking into a few of these suburbs at the moment. Any tips on what streets/areas to avoid in the above mentioned suburbs? I know with Strathpine I normally like to stick to the west side of train line.

Tekoz likes this.
  14. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

I think yields are better further out. I am getting 375 Arana hills and 460 kedron. Not much difference for a 150-200k savings on purchase...

15. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

That's it. 10% more than listed price and Brissy is not in news yet.

Tekoz likes this.
  16. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

$470 is fair given other properties sold in the area recently above that but nicer.

That agency is terrible at underquoting and REIQ really should have a word with them.. Anything they have listed recently has been about 10% under the realistic price. It gets people in the door thinking these places will go for the prices listed - but its not even close! They are also terrible with updating the listing as well when it goes under offer which can waste people's time.

I looked at that property, was swarming with people, but to be honest was nothing too fantastic and the photos made it look nicer than it was.

Spend $30k more and there are a few nicer places.. been much quieter at those inspections.

17. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

18. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a decent handyman and painter ? northern subs - arana hills

19. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

think the median is around 470. is presented nicely, probably an Owner Occupier may have bought it

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The house in Hakea St...
    Who would want to look out over the back of a shopping centre? That area is very hilly too, rules out some residents who have fitness/mobility issues.