QLD North suburbs of Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dan2101, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

First post here (come over from Somersoft) just looking for some advice on Brisbane. I've currently got 3 properties in regional areas so looking for a long term hold in a capital city.

I've done a fair bit of research into Brisbane but was just after some perspectives from those that have purchased or are locals. My budget is the mid $400's. I've been looking at the following:

- aspley
    - zillmere
    - geebung
    - Fitzgibbon
    - boondall
    - taigum

Just wondering am I on the right track. I know they have experienced some growth in the past year. Have I missed the boat? All look to be in my price range with reasonable rental yield. Any pros/cons for each suburb or things to look out for? Will be heading up in a couple of weeks so would be good to narrow down to 2 or 3 suburbs to make things easier!

Cheers!

Dan

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

They're all about the same distance from the City. I've only been to Boondall once, to go to the Entertainment Centre. Seemed like a long way out. Maybe because Sandgate Rd is busier than Gympie Rd. Aspley doesn't seem that far out, being just past the Westfield in Chermside.
    Anywhere near a train station is good. Well maybe not anywhere, but it helps a lot.
    I haven't looked at the market for those suburbs for a while, but looking at their past performance is a good start. A lot of suburbs have had recent growth.

3. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Strathpine is 35mins from Brisbane central by train. As a Sydney-sider I find that very acceptable but my view might be skewed...

Compared to some southern suburbs these have only just started to go recently so I wouldn't say you've missed the boat.

I've keen on a bit further out in areas like Mango Hill and Strathpine, mainly due to proximity to westfield shopping centers and the moreton bay rail project. Can anyone comment on these areas?

Property#4 likes this.
  4. dan2101

Thanks Azazel,

I know most of those suburbs have experienced between 5-15% growth over the past 3 years but coming from Sydney they still seem like good value. I was leaning towards Zillmere or Boondall just because of the cheaper buy in price ad proximitiy to Zillmere train station. Boondall seems to have experienced the least growth recently.

If anyone thinks there are better options in that price range i'd be interested on your thoughts!

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It all gets a bit weird up there. There's semi-industrial parts everywhere. You'd really need to go and have a drive around there if you're not familiar with it.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Unless you are married to the idea of the north side, you could also look at Mt Gravatt, Carina, Greenslopes, Holland Park on the better side of town :p.

733 likes this.
  7. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Are you willing to get a fixer-upper ?

I'd be looking to get as close in to the CBD as possible and then add some sweat equity.

With that budget you should get in a lot closer if you can compromise on some other things.

8. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip

9. dan2101

No not married to the idea of the north side! Just seemed to be more in my price range.

Wylie I thought those suburbs you listed might be a bit more expensive?

Tonibell would love to but i'm from Sydney so it would be difficult. Most I could take off work is 2 weeks so couldn't do a lot more than a coat of paint, tidy up etc.

10. dan2101

Look like you get could into Holland Park for maybe say 50k more than Zillmere. Is this a lot more desirable suburb?

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, for 50k more...

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I prefer the southside. Driving on the southside: you get on pacific motorway, you drive, you get off the pacific motorway, 2 sets of traffic lights and then you are wherever you wanted to be.

Driving on the northside: Traffic light, 2 changes of the light and finally you get through, you drive 5m to another red light, you wait then drive another 5m to another red light, you wait then drive another 5 m to another red light... repeat process a million times.

13. AaronR

AaronR Well-Known Member

I would be tempted to get something not as great closer in. Some deals are still happening from Stafford to Chermside West for mid 4's. Might need a bit of cleaning up though.

14. Amberlee

Amberlee Active Member

I bought an IP in Aspley last September. It's walk to Chermside Westfield and was mid 400's. Had to pull out of a contract on another one prior to securing that one due to termites. I'm from Sydney and researched the northern suburbs a bit prior to purchase and flew up there twice and went to OFI's and drove around checking the suburbs out.
    Zillmere has a lot of housing commission. Boondall and Taigum are pretty rough too apparently.
    Don't know much about Fitzgibbon.
    Some of Geebung is OK if it's away from industrial pockets. Some of Chermside is OK too and still affordable.
    I think there will probably be more CG in the south, I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap house in the Mt Gravatt area in the coming months.

15. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

Aspley is probably the most expensive of the 6 suburbs. You should be able to get something in mid 400s in other suburbs but may need a bit of work.

16. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

This works if you live within one traffic light of the motorway and you're driving at midnight..

Not too long ago I was living at gabba and it would take 20mins to get into the cbd during peak hour.. From Ashgrove (4kms further out on the northside) it takes 15mins.. No way I could live on the southside again..

propertylad and Hoffy like this.
  17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I live 4 traffic lights from the motorway, but on average only get stopped at two.

I don't drive in peak hour due to my work hours though. But northside driving to Zillmere the other day at 11am had terrible traffic. Multiple light changes to get through a set of traffic lights. That wasn't peak hour either but the drive still took forever. Salisbury to the city took me 12 mins, then from the city to Zillmere took 35 mins...at 11am!

18. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

Alot of those subs you mentioned there is just too much vacant land.

I did orig look to buy in Zillmere but when i looked around its still going to take alot of gentrification. Its quite run down, flat with no much scenery. I can see from google map it looked good, close to city, beach and air port but once you get there and have a look around i was quite disappointed. Heaps of investors looking to buy there. I can see a massive oversupply and high vacancy rates there in the future. So many investors will buy and/or build town houses and units.

I would try and buy as close to city as possible. Chermside and Stafford would be a stretch. Aspley, McDowall, Everton Hills and Arana Hills would be options. I absolutely love Mitchelton to live and to raise a family but prices are too high. These 4 suburbs are close by....

19. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

It is well worth the inconvenience !

For our big Brisbane reno one of us travelled up every weekend for 3 months to coordinate trades and do some work ourselves. We booked cheap fares in the sales and stayed on site to keep the costs down.

It is a sacrifice but if it means getting into a better area and also creating some capital gain and cashflow right from the start - then well worth it. Our big reno meant was hard in some ways - but it meant we avoided a lot of the stress associated with property purchases (eg. worrying about whether we spent too much).

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2015
  20. dan2101

So much good info. Seems like perhaps I'm looking in the wrong areas. Will head up for a look in the next couple of weeks. Tonibell you are probably right it's probably worth doing a few trips up for a Reno. Am I best targeting the high set quesnslander style for a renovation?

Thanks everyone for the help. Seems like there may be better options than zillmere