NSW North shore - upper or lower, IP now with view of PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by OllyOliver, 2nd May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. OllyOliver

OllyOliver Well-Known Member

Seeking some input in terms of where I should be looking.

30yo couple. Just had newborn. Current PPOR in Balmain purchased Dec 2019, and have an IP in Rozelle purchased Nov 2020.

Thinking of purchasing a landed IP in north shore with a view of moving there as PPOR when bubs is a bit older (before kindergarten) for the public schooling, and holding current properties.

Havent worked out the budget but would say 2.3-2.6 million. Looking ideally for somewhere with good capital growth, connectivity, good public schooling, easy and quick commute to city for the missus.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

There’s a new school called Lindfield learning village, it’s at the old UTS site.
    It’s very popular and there’s 3000 plus applications to get into the school.

It’s Montessori like, but a publicly funded Government school.
    I’d look to buy in that catchment….

School website: Lindfield Learning Village
    Catchment area for 2022: Lindfield Learning Village Catchment Map For 2022 – Australian Public School Information

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I would think the upper North would be a bit more difficult to get into the CBD, but I love the easy travel from some parts of the lower north, esp on public transport.

Maybe look at something with potential to rebuild or extend to maximise the land value down the track and as the family grows.

I love Inner West for younger kids with proximity of cafes/parks/lifestyle but want the room as the kids get older, we went from IW to east a few years ago to be closer to my parents but would have otherwise considered lower North.

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

People commute to the city from anywhere in the north shore . Most via train which is a good service . Check the time table to give a idea of time . The lower you get in , harder to get a seat some trains start at Gordon .

we live in turramurra and many of our friends commute to the city and never complain about it . Catch up on emails , read a book , paper or listen to music .

the lower you go the more expensive . The closer you are to a station , the more expensive .

generally east side walk station is considered best . Don’t think you’d get a house for that price in that location .

there are lots of good schools on the north shore , public and private .

You might get a free standing house in St Ives , Gordon or north . Hard to get a superficial idea on prices as at the moment everything seems to be auction , though a search on 2.25 and below gives lots of options .

lower north shore you’ll on a smaller block or townhouse . Upper north shore you’d get a nice town house or unit probably east side walk station.

lower north shore , harder to get street parking though generally more restaurants . Upper north shore much better than it used to be .

I quite like being close to Mona vale road as that gives you easier access driving west or to the beaches . Also easy to get to Macquarie centre which is a good alternative to Chatswood or Hornsby as a major shopping centre and has gold class at cinemas ...

Any specific questions ?

cliff

inertia likes this.
  5. Liquidity

Liquidity Well-Known Member

We were in a similar position (but no kids). Bought a landed IP in the upper north shore last year as a future PPOR, which is walk to station. Needs a small Reno in the future

If you want to a proper sized land and house, then upper north shore with walk to rail is the best bet. Most of the public primary schools are quality, so hard to go wrong

If you are happy with smaller land or townhouse, then opens up a lot of options in the lower north shore.

6. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

I was thinking closer to Turramurra/Pymble (East side only) for $2m in 2019 flat block large land size say 1000sqm plus but nearly impossible due to slope, higher costs etc. slowly moving up towards wahroonga/hornsby. Bought in Asquith (East side) for $1.3m.

Lower north shore is getting busy, i wouldn't be surprised with lots of apartments in 5-10 years. As everyone said closer to station, east side if you can find just grab it my preference upper north shore.

7. Gockie

Anyway, go for the freestanding house. No strata title. :)

8. See Change

That's a personal choice . Lots of people I know prefer a unit / townhouse . Less maintenance , easier to look after ) .

Cliff

David_SYD and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. Gockie

For capital growth though, houses are better. Land appreciates.

10. OllyOliver

All good points, thanks for the insight. I'm also leaning towards landed non strata. Slight leaning towards lower north shore, just because I like the extra connectivity and centrality but aware of the price difference. Thinking artarmon public school or cammeray public school catchment would be good, and hopefully he can get into North Sydney Boys HS. Forward planning much . That would mean either Naremburn, Cammeray, Artarmon, Crows Nest. Realistic budget or do I need to look elsewhere?

11. See Change

go to RE.co,.au - Put in houses / below 2.25 and see if you like what you come up with . Then go to a couple of auction and see what they actually go for . Unless you're actively looking at the moment it's hard to judge .

My niece who started with a budget of around 2 for lower northern beaches just ended up paying low threes for what they wanted .

Cliff

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  12. OllyOliver

Interesting. Wonder whether this sort if approach is better?

13. OllyOliver

Crazy. Looks like artarmon's out, but could also be lack of stock. Naremburn or crows nest seems more affordable. Possibly due to smaller land size.

14. Gockie

It is very popular... the school should cater for kids whatever their level. Definitely the parents are very happy and there are reviews saying the kids don't want to go on school holidays...
    Quite unbelievable.

15. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

Cammeray Public is a great school. My son goes there, so I can vouch for the quality of teaching. As for the suburb, it's great for young families and you can get to the city very quickly (depending on where you are, you may only be 1 traffic light away to the Harbour Bridge). As for your budget, there may not be too many choices for houses in Cammeray though.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Last edited: 14th May, 2021
  17. See Change

Interesting little pocket . Between the highway , freeway and railway .

Not you typical ‘ North Shore ‘ location . Have had a look there before but decided it was just too close to things.

Cliff

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Best of all worlds, traffic/rail/aircraft noise, tunnels, ex-substation site (possible contaminated land) - what more could you want? :oops:

19. See Change

high density zoning , but then the rumble from the rail/high/ freeway .....

don’t think the aircraft noise would be an issue , no way you’ll hear it over the rest .....

cliff

Scott No Mates likes this.
  20. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

The land comes with the strata property, you just own a parcel of a shared piece. You can’t make a blanket statement “houses are better” as that really is not true.