North Perth WA: 5 'apartments'

Discussion in 'Development' started by Westminster, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Is the exit in first gear policy for a major road a city of Vincent thing or does it apply everywhere in WA?

Can you use a turning circle instead?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm not certain. It's pretty common and logical though.

3. property world

property world Well-Known Member

What's this loophole you talk about?

4. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

R Codes 6.3.5 (C5.3) (iii) - covered there.

Also in AustRoads and AS2890 Off Street Parking.

5. property world

How are you allowed 5 dwellings on an R40 787 sqm block?

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Haha, because they're 'apartments'.

7. property world

Is that the loophole with COV?

8. Westminster

That if you overlap the floor of one dwelling with the floor of another dwelling they meet the technical definition of an apartment. So they are technically 5 x 2 storey apartments. In my case they don't overlap by much, maybe 1m in some sections.

See above

No it is in the WA Residential Design codes. Some Councils will fight it tooth and nail, some don't mind it. Vincent don't mind it and it helps with providing more diversity to housing.

There was a push to remove this 'loophole' and make the definition so that the majority of the area (ie more than 50%) had to overlap. This was a proposed amendment to the Design Codes scheduled to be released next month but it seems that the amendment might not have been approved so it might remain as is.

Jmillar and Cruskits like this.
  9. property world

Interesting stuff these are the loopholes that people need to find to try and make it a winner with development.

So all of your dwellings overlap by about a metre or so? Interesting because looking at the 3d models it doesnt seem like they do, but obviously they must.

Can you us those sections by any chance? Id like to see the design and how its done

Edit: also where in the r codes does it say how many apartments (multi dwellings) you can do for your sized block for R40 i thought it would be an avg of 220sqm per dwelling?

Last edited: 7th Sep, 2015
  10. Westminster

Definitions start at page 53 of the RCodes

A Grouped Dwelling (commonly called a villa, townhouse etc)
    A Multiple Dwelling or apartments
    For apartments you look at page 60 and it tells you the plot ratio you can use. For R40 it is 0.6, this is 0.6 x landsize or 0.6 x 787 = 472. That means I can have apartments totally up to 472sqm on the block - this can be split up into any number of ways - you could have a 400sqm apartment and a 70sqm apartment if you wanted if it met the definitions

Cruskits and property world like this.
  11. Westminster

To see how it works look at the first floor of the plans - these two storey apartments are reversed living so this is the first floor not the ground floor.

You can see blue lines on the plans going from the edge of the land. These are the guidelines where the ground floor boundaries are

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muxfeyajs...ere Street_DA REV 03 FF _ 20-04-2015.pdf?dl=0

If you look at Unit 1 part of it's kitchen and ensuite is on top of Unit 2 ground floor. Unit 3's living area partly overlaps the ground floor of Unit 2 as well. And so on

darrenonsnow and property world like this.
  12. property world

Edit: Had a look on comp and now i see it. Thanks for that. Those blue lines help in showing the ground floor and where its situated.

What sqm floor plans are your 3 bed, 2 bed, single bed dwellings?

Would love to still see that clever use of overlap to see how youve done it for design and compliance.

Also surely there is a restriction on whether you can go with grouped dwellings or multi dwellings on certain lots of resi land? Or can you build what you like as long as it meets criteria (ie: street scape, overshadowing, privacy ect?)

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2015
  13. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

the group housing provision used to have an allowance for "minor overlap" for build stratas - so it didn't immediately default to a multiple dwelling - for sloping and difficult sites etc.

however, this pearler says otherwise.

http://archives.lists.highway1.biz/maillists/rcodes/1501/0006.html

darrenonsnow likes this.
  14. Westminster

I only have a 2 x 2 and 1 x 1s in this development. At the top LHS of the plans you can see a box with the sizes. 63sqm for the single bedder and 93-98 for the 2 bedders. They are larger than a standard apartment - for example a 1 bed apartment would be around 50sqm, 2 x 1 60sqm, 2 x 2 65-70sqm and a 3 x 2 90-100sqm

Local Councils can restrict over and above the Rcodes so it's important to look into their local town planning schemes. For example in the City of Vincent there are certain precincts where multiple dwellings are not allowed.

Some Councils are also trying to stop multiple dwellings on densities less than R50.

property world likes this.
  15. Westminster

Ok so I forgot to update this.
    This block is R30/R40. You could only get R40 if you were retaining the dwelling which I was not so I was going for R30 multiple dwellings. As such I was in a race against time to get it approved before the changes to the RCodes at the end of October OR the block being rezoned to plain R40 in the Vincent TPS2
    Unfortunately the DA wasn't approved before the end of October so it has to go on hold until the Vincent TPS2 is approved by WAPC and the block becomes R40 then it will finish it's DA process.

16. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ouch. Any idea of timelines?

17. Westminster

Shouldn't be too long. Last I heard Vincent were hopeful TPS would be gazetted in the coming 6mths. In the meantime the tenants are happy to stay.

18. sanj

So you can only start the DA process at very earliest 6 months from now? Certainly throws a spanner in the works timeline wise, shame it didn't sneak through.

Vincent planners must be sick of fighting with u!

19. Westminster

Once it is 'seriously entertained' by WAPC we can probably pick up the DA and finish it.
    Vincent are getting fresh planners to be entertained by my projects. Petar M has gone and I loved him :(

20. sanj

damn, agreed he was fair and at least would say yes or no instead of **** farting around like most and wasting everyones time

mrdobalina and Westminster like this.