VIC North East Link

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by woofwoofpawpaw, 19th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. woofwoofpawpaw

woofwoofpawpaw Active Member

With the planned North East Link, which are the suburbs likely to gain or lose?

2. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Greensborough, Watsonia, Macleod, Rosanna, viewbank, Yallambie and maybe montmorency. However, if they are close to the highway, tunnel, then it's a different story

3. woofwoofpawpaw

No winners from the Eastern suburb?
    Bulleen and Templestowe Lower are generally cheaper than surrounding - will it pick up some gains ?

Prices of houses besides the Eastern freeway (assuming that there will be additional lanes) will be dropping - freeway will now be even closer to their homes
    E.g. Mont Albert North, Box Hill North, Balwyn North, Doncaster

4. Baza

Baza Active Member

They’ll all be loser for the next decade until it’s built. Who wants noise, pollution and construction destroying their local suburb? Plus uncertainty about what houses will be destroyed etc. Stay clear until it’s almost complete. Have a look at the suburbs surrounding WCX in Sydney.

5. SLP07

SLP07 Well-Known Member

Do you think eltham / eltham north will have any positive impact? Thanks

6. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

I think the nearest entry to the free way for Eltham would be the one on lower plenty road, bit of a distance. But I think overall would have a positive effect, not too familiar with Eltham though..

SLP07 likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

IMHO too far to make a diff.

The Y-man

8. The Y-man

Question is - who is going to benefit? Other than trucking companies, it's not really a commute route. It will give a new route to the airport from the east but that's about all I can see.

On the other hand, the dedicated bus lanes (as in separate from the eastern freeway) could be a big winner for the eastern bus routes (Doncaster, Templestowe, Bulleen).

Busway

Sounds great on paper, although others have questioned it's usefulness.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...ter-rail-transport-group-20190618-p51yze.html

The Y-man

9. woofwoofpawpaw

there will be additional lanes to Eastern Freeway

Will the pockets on either sides of the freeway be affected (drop in value), given that the freeway will now be nearer to their back / front yards

10. The Y-man

Already have (bulleen area).
    The rest of the freeway is fringed by parks, golf courses, so probably not a huge impact.

11. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

Wanted to continue this discussion regarding NE Link. I believe buying next to the region where surface work will take place, is probably not good. What about the region around the underground tunnel? Buying on or close to the tunnel, can experience noise and vibration I understand. However is it OK to buy within the project boundary? Please see the map (taken directly from NE Link website) below:

upload_2019-6-24_16-23-42.png

The section marked with bold red dots is the underground tunnel. However the project boundary is marked with thin red dots. Is it OK to buy within the boundary, but away from the tunnel?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
    DU

12. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

They have not finalised the tunnel route yet so the map is indicative only. I do not think it is a good idea to buy a property in the area and few years later the tunnel will be built right underneath it or close.

13. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

True, it is indicative only. But can't change drastically I believe? Happy to be corrected.

When you say in the area , do you mean in an around the indicative tunnel area OR within the project boundary area?

Thanks
    DU

14. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do not think it will change too much but who know. They said it need to be the most cost effective but also practical and safe route. I would say to avoid the current indicative route and nearby areas. I would not worry too much about the area near the boundary on Rosanna side. But the uncertainty about the route and the construction work will not have a positive impact on the house price imo.

DreamzUnlimited likes this.
  15. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

Sorry?

They go had in hand.

The Western Suburbs and Bayswater are two of Melbourne biggest industrial hubs.

Not everyone lives 5 minutes from home, I work within an industry that use these two area's regularly and you would be surprised how and where people commute to work from.

By the same theory, the Burnley tunnel should be empty every afternoon, but for trucks, which isn't the case.

Remembering, by giving an alternative route for the East/West it will help clear the tunnel congestion, which in turn clears congestion which will help those that commute North/East and North/South (this will help me directly).