NT North Crest, Darwin

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Elle Ar, 27th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Elle Ar

Elle Ar Well-Known Member

Has anyone looked into the new estates going up in Berrimah and willing to share their thoughts?

Northcrest is going up between Haileybury Rendall and Don Dale. So I guess it could go either way :)? On a more serious note, the area seems close to everything and the price points in line with Palmerston.

I'm ruling out Mirawood and Parkside due to being right within the airport flight path and a bit close to Karama - but the other side of the Freeway doesn't seem altogether bad?

Last edited: 27th Feb, 2022
  2. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

i looked at mirrawood and nearly put down a deposit on a block as our forever home but didnt cause i couldnt see us staying up here too long. loved the block sizes and not far from the freeway to head into the city.
    if you know dondales history then you might have answered your own question.

everyone seems to be venturing out, look at coolalinga, that joint is so busy, we used to go to cas square but that place is wayyyy too busy now! and soon coolalinga central may find itself on the same path.

3. Elle Ar

So I'm not the only one looking :) Phew.

I drove past the sales office and with current construction prices one is looking at $800k for a 4/2 on 400m2 in Northcrest. Would rather a townhouse in Parap, personally.

Yes, Howard Springs, Virginia are going strong... getting a bit frothy maybe? You can still get 100ha+ for quite little money, just a little further out.

4. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

No FTTP in these regions. Big No from me.

5. Elle Ar

6. Ariyahn2011

7. Elle Ar

I bought a slightly rough 2 bedder in the Tropicana group on Hudson Fysh Av, Parap. Paid $200,000, it is currently rented for $350pw, so a 9.1% gross yield. Sadly banks apply a 6% maximum yield and then taper at 70%. That group has high strata fees but also quite a bit of land content and it is as high and dry as Darwin ever will be (disregarding roof leaks, that is :)) Very long-term play that one, but it might save me private school fees in the short term with its Parap PS catchment.

Not sure what else to get, I was looking at Howard Springs / Virginia but is has moved a good 100k+ on me and I’m nervous it will come back down just as fast.

Alawa, Tiwi, Birkin have gone up lots too. Did I miss the boat?

Last edited: 17th Mar, 2022
  8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Nope! Have a look at Karama and Malak. Both have awful parts and good parts. Do your research and you can make a killing.

800k into North Crest would not be a wise move...it's built on an old cyclone Tracey dump site. Also 800k is a LOT of biccies to lose should Darwin dive again. Keep it simple and around 400-500k and you should be sweet.

Elle Ar likes this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Be careful with Mirawood....very noisy from both Amy Johnson and the airport. It's also a catchment for rapid creek...it gets very wet and lots of mozzies.

I wouldn't touch it.

sauber and Elle Ar like this.
  10. Elle Ar

You are sooo knowledgeable @hammer. Thank you, that is very helpful.

Sounds like some street - by - street research is in order. Thanks!

hammer likes this.
  11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

No worries! Glad to hear you're getting amoungst the insane opportunities up here!

12. Investor1111

Investor1111 Well-Known Member

Wow is it really 800k to get on North Crest? Right on the Stuart Highway, cant imagine why people would be that keen on living here. Thoughts on land out at Lee Point? @hammer

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  13. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

You can do North Crest for around 600k....if that helps? I don't know enough about Lee point ...sorry!

Just be careful with new builds at the moment. The cost of materials is putting pressure on builders. A lot have gone under down south and i see no reason why the same couldn't happen up here ... Not saying don't do it...but just be careful!

14. Investor1111

Im renting a DHA house in Muirhead here at the moment, and these estates are quite nice. Definitely wouldn't buy here as theres probably alot more area's around Regional AUS with less risk and more upside.

Did a H & l In geelong, that wasnt cheap. :eek: 309k 1 storey brick, 4/2/2. $1700 a m2, oof.

Maybe 2023 the supply / materials / labour issues will resolve in the construction industry, and builds will become more viable again. Established probs the way to go until then.

Elle Ar and Ariyahn2011 like this.
  15. Elle Ar

Last edited: 23rd Mar, 2022
    Investor1111 likes this.
  16. Investor1111

Wont solve low vacancy isssues here in the NT.

Elle Ar and Ariyahn2011 like this.
  17. Ariyahn2011

I work in the human services sector and due to vacancy we are heading off. Unfortunately I believe you need to sign a new lease to be eligible for this scheme.

18. Elle Ar

Agreed. There is little construction so vacancy will remain low.

My guess is it will further drive up rents, especially in the low to mid price segment. Good for landlords, i.e. moi :)

it might convince some people to convert their airbnbs to rentals but I doubt this will help ease supply issues.

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2022
  19. Elle Ar

Today's anecdote: Click & collecting my groceries.

Apropos nothing, the supermarket employee starts telling me how he is tired because he is currently sleeping rough and a security guard kept waking him all night. Apparently his next rental won't be available for another 2 weeks so he is stuck. At least his ex wife has a place so his two kids can stay with her.

There's likely all kinds of things happening here but a crazy boom -bust-boom housing market is one of the factors, I'd say.

20. Ariyahn2011

I'm waiting for the bust. I'll pick up a property then.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.