QLD North Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mr Dabolina, 24th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What suburbs fit this description then? Strathpine and Bald Hills, Carseldine?

2. GSD

GSD Active Member

yes that's on the mark

3. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Not many good properties coming up on market from that area nowadays

4. D.Matta

D.Matta Member

hi guys,

I've been looking around this area, you're right nish, not much stock coming up but still there are opportunities out there.

Is there a better side to bald hills and bracken ridge? I haven't been on the ground as yet but I'm guessing properties the southern pockets are more desirable as they are that little bit closer to the train line.

What are your thoughts?

5. Dorian Stoilescu

Dorian Stoilescu New Member

Probably the prices will go up.

6. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

QLD - Thoughts on Bracken Ridge

There are pockets of housing commission on Bracken Ridge, see link above.

7. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Bracken Ridge house prices have increased in the last 2-3 months. Its now $437k average for a 3 bedder. It was $425k only 2 months ago.

8. trinity168

Where did you get those estimates from?

9. eletronic_exp0430

I keep track every month of moving averages from numerous sources (ie) RP Data, RE, Domain etc..I have a few houses in Bracken Ridge as well so I keep a very close eye on this suburb.

trinity168 and adam duckworth like this.
  10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

And what would be the average for 4 bedder?

11. eletronic_exp0430

Around $530k.

12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

R
    Really, I valued mine at $505K, anyway I always like to be under value than over value, I guess.
    I have it now for 13 years and bought at premium brand new then, when the market peaked, was advised not to buy, but since then the part of the strategy was to accumulate if funds permitted and was passive investor, probably with my strategy now would not buy there now, too far out by few kms, but it grows consistently, may even double maybe within 3-5 years?

13. eletronic_exp0430

That was your problem. I actually bought some of my places for less than the original owner bought theirs because they overpaid for them in the first place.

Within 3-5 years I see HUGE growth otherwise I wouldn't have poured over 1 million into Brisbane lately. If you think Bracken Ridge is too far from the CBD well I think you need to change your views a bit its only around 20km to Brisbane CBD. Your from Sydney, when you see places 60+km from the CBD sell for over 800k-1million, the entire of Brisbane is undervalued.

If Brisbane grows as I think it will your house will be worth alot more than $500k thats for sure.

adam duckworth likes this.
  14. trinity168

@eletronic_exp0430 - reason I asked was we had our 3br Bracken Ridge desktop valued at 550K last May by our mortgage broker.

Thanks. Am keeping an eye on it as well.

eletronic_exp0430 likes this.
  15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Even though I am from Sydney and live 7.2kms N from CBD, I have lots of IPs in QLD, my sister lives there and close friends, at one stage I thought to move there, I am there many times per year.
    The reason I wouldn't buy there again is that my portfolio is huge now there (pay lots of land tax under different entities), hence I have offloaded some of the lemons as I call them (1 in QLD closer to Gold Coast, 1 in VIC, 1 in WA). Even buying 1 IP under Trust is more likely to cost me land tax as the threshold is up to $350K...
    I will keep Bracken Ridge and Warner, as building depreciation is good and have good tenants for long time, plus it is pacing along positive now, some corner blocks, good positions.
    I prefer the McDowall, Carseldine, Ferny Grove for redevelopment, Bridgeman Downs for redevelopment (not now though), Gaythorne, etc.... they are slightly closer, but it is like the Monopoly game, I bought few that could afford back then, eventually bought a hotel, hence I can be choosey now, choosing closer as land tends to grow more closer to CBD rather than being further away where more surrounding land for development can dilute prices.
    You see for me at my current stage, it is no longer about the number of IPs but rather what asset base I hold and where.
    So I do not disagree Bracken Ridge is about 15.6km N of CBD, Warner is further 21.3km N of CBD, but Carina did very well for me which is only 6.8km E of CBD (also blocks are shrinking in size since 17 years ago). I just now prefer to be within 10kms in BRI investments, that's all! The land values on most are now valued more than the actual purchases of my IPs so that's the great thing about them (not the land tax though) if part of your strategy is for CG.
    We all have to start somewhere.....

kevilian likes this.
  16. eletronic_exp0430

Good stuff. Hopefully you bought it at the right price and made some money off it already. I know I already made $25k off my Bald Hills home in less than 4 months and similar in Bracken Ridge.

trinity168 likes this.
  17. PoBoy

PoBoy Member

Hi, Everyone. I'm a first time property investor and so was looking at properties in my price range i.e. around 350-430k so I was originally looking at Inala and Acacia Ridge. It appears though that the houses there are in general not in a good state, so I took a look at Strathpine. Basically, I'm looking for 3/1/1 houses. From reading this thread (crikey) it looks like Strathpine could still be a goer as long as I stay west of the main road and not too far south. Would that be correct? Apologies in advance for the ignorant questions.

18. angeloftcf

angeloftcf New Member

What's the criteria for the investment ? Wont get to much under the $400k mark but surrounding suburbs in that locale still present great value for money

19. Goldie

Goldie Member

Thanks to Westfield, Ikea, the new train line opening and Costco all those areas are going to do very well over the Medium Term. - Spend as little as you can, as close as you can to those services and you cant go wrong. Burpengary, Narangba might be options.