QLD North Brisbane Moreton Bay advice needed

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JandJ, 7th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JandJ

JandJ Member

Hi,
    We have up to $350,000 to spend and not sure what and where to buy. Looking for the best capital gains. I have researched and think a house would be best for gains rather than a villa, duplex, unit etc. Any advice about where and what would help. Currently I am looking at Strathpine or Redcliffe but to be honest I don't really care as long as the gains are the best I can get.
    Was thinking of using a buyers advocate but the upfront cost is high compared to the price of the investment.
    Thanks.

2. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Hi JandJ,

You are not limited to units, villas and duplexes on the northside with your budget. I've bought a house on over 600sqm land for a client in Bald Hills recently for less than $350k (albeit needed just shy of $10k worth of cosmetic reno).

Strathpine to Redcliffe encompasses a huge area and are 2 different markets. Definitely look for a house with decent land component with ability to convert internals by adding extra rooms/bathrooms or ability to add granny flats instead.

Jake Milne and wilso8948 like this.
  3. JandJ

JandJ Member

Cheers - definitely looking for a house - not the others as I think capital returns would be smaller (happy to hear otherwise). I have found a run down place that needs renovation and thought that might be a good place to start. But overall I'm not sure of the best area in Moreton Bay to look - or is it all pretty similar.

4. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Good Day Mate,

You scouting in the right areas for the price point. All the way up-to deception bay, down redcliff and in and around petrie too ..

With that price point, other option will be South Australia. Some great buys with great yields!

If buying in these outer burbs, try and go for house purchase unless neighbourhood doesn't allows it. Avoid units/villas/apartments ..

Cheers,

Jake Milne likes this.
  5. JandJ

JandJ Member

Cheers - nice to know I am in the right area.

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That will get a house...if you look carefully and prepared to dedicate the time.

Be prepared to do some cosmetic work. No need to go to South Australia.....yields are good but capital growth is not there.

I own both in Moreton Bay and South Australia.

7. JandJ

JandJ Member

Is all of Moreton Bay ok? Caboolture, Nerangba etc or should I stay as far south as I can?

8. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I would say stay as south as you can - still plenty of available land up north. You want to buy in established suburb that's land-locked. i.e. they can't release land to build more houses easily.

Cheers,
    David

9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Stay as far south as possible.

It’s really worth a weekend visit to familiarise yourself with the areas along the new rail line.

Look at pockets like Strathpine, Bray Park, Petrie, Lawnton as well as other suburbs along the new line.

New Uni being built at Petrie.

Deception Bay and Rothwell would also be in your price range.

Might get something in your price range in Redcliffe or Margate but back a bit from the water.

Make sure you do flood checks:

Flood check property report

( important for Lawnton, Strathpine, Rothwell, Deception Bay )

and check zoning:

My property look up

( selected areas of Moreton Bay were rezoned in 2015 - zones to look for are “Urban Neighbourhood” and “Next Generation Neighbourhood” ... hopefully in time some of these areas will gentrify ... )

10. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Like @David Shih said, closer you are to the CBD, the better. Caboolture and surrounds are not built up yet. Lot of greenland which means less comp..

11. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

I have a few properties in Moreton Bay, closer to CBD, held for the long term and seen excellent capital growth. I recently spent months looking around Redcliffe Peninsula, Scarborough is my choice. I would also consider the north Redland area, I just purchased for low $300K (house) at Thorneside, needs a reno. Always consider flooding. I would also talk to PMs about the amount of stock available in the area, there is an oversupply in some areas.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would agree with a house as close to Brisbane CBD as possible. I like Bray Park and Strathpine best - half an hour to the CBD by train.

Can you still find anything at Bald Hills and Bracken Ridge for that price? If so, you will be in the real Brisbane LGA for the same price and same distance from CBD

You do not need a BA if you can read a map and you live in the same city.

Jake Milne likes this.
  13. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I don't think Rothwell will be in your price range however Deception Bay probably will be. If this is a long term hold then there will be nothing wrong with targeting that area.

- Andrew

14. Peninsula Property

Peninsula Property Well-Known Member

You will definitely get a home sub 350k in Deception bay , we recently sold one for 340's 200m from the bay in great condition .

Lawnton, Bray Park, Kallangur , Deception Bay all have homes @ 350k .

If you could possibly move up to 380k

Strathpine, Clontarf, Margate, Redcliffe (MBRC ) or Bald hills & Bracken Ridge (BCC) still have homes sub 400k .

Look out for ex commision homes for sale in these areas as the whole street is pretty much identified as such , lower entry points, but less potential for CG .

If choosing the waterfront side of Deception bay be careful of Maine tce- Osbourne Tce areas as these have very low socioeconomic background type's living there. Stick to Bayview Tce to CliffDale Ave areas. ( Higher ground also)

STRATHPINE would be my pick for a sub 400k out of the western side of MBRC suburbs

CLONTARF would be my pick for a sub 400k for the eastern side of MBRC suburbs. ( Land locked)

I personally wouldnt go further than KALLANGUR from the CBD for a sub 350k home. This suburb is closest to North Lakes which has Westfield shopping centre, IKEA , huge industrial area and lots of restaurants .

Caboolture - Morayfield ect is to far from CBD and dime a dozen for 350k and below tbh. To much land!

All my opinions .

Jake Milne and jenno1612 like this.
  15. Emma_D

Emma_D New Member

I've created an online map that may be of use to you?

Brisbane Property Locations

I made this to help me narrow down locations when I was looking for an investment property. I'm primarily looking for long term growth in 'owner occupier' areas.

The areas in pink meet the following criteria:

- within 5 - 15 km of Brisbane CBD
    - within 5km of a public school
    - within 10km of private school
    - within 3km of supermarket (only coles and woolworths at the moment)
    - within 400m of a green space / park
    - within 7km of a train station

There's a search bar next to "Brisbane Property Locations" where you can type the address of the property you're interested in and it will zoom to that location. You can also expand the layers to turn specific layers on / off.

I'm happy to make any adjustments to the distances.

Any comments / suggestions are welcome.

16. JandJ

JandJ Member

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. Lots to think about. I guess Deception Bay looks promising but also a minefield with varying areas. I found a duplex in Bracken Ridge but no land and wonder if this would be ok or stick to stand alone places.

17. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't touch Deception Bay or a duplex in Bracken Ridge for the best capital gains. If you are on the ground in the Brisbane area, you should be able to do a lot better.

18. JandJ

JandJ Member

Returning to Brisbane Monday from work overseas so can look around. Any suggestions about where I could do better? Really don't want to stuff up.

19. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

You started looking at Braken ridge. I recon that with Bald Hills is an excellent spot. I would Keep an eye for houses NOT units or townhouses.

20. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

No one wants to.......... everyone wants the best result, and an outcome often can be no decision, no result, analysis paralysis and no IP even 10 years later.

ta
    rolf

Toby and wilso8948 like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.