Normal wear or potential risk? 1960s apartment

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by BASBMV, 24th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BASBMV

BASBMV New Member

During inspection today I notice the outer brick wall has cracks on it and some of the inside walls have small lines on it. I note the vendor (owner builder) freshly paint the apartment thus I want to know if he is covering some problems or not. Please see attached photos for the small lines and cracks.

This is a 1967 apartment block, apartment is on the second floor in the corner.

Reason I ask is that cracks on outside brick wall can mean foundation problem and these would need underpinning to resolve the problem which is expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd say you need to pay for a building inspection and get answers from an expert who has seen the building and not just a photo. That would be money well spent if you have doubts about anything other than simple cosmetic fixes.

Marg4000 and legallyblonde like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

From your description and accurate aging of the building, I would hazard a guess and say that the building is at the end of its useful life (50 years), has no further depreciation left in it and should be demolished as it is probably quite ugly.

The external crack is likely to have been caused by brick growth and a lack of articulation joints at the corners of the building.

Beano likes this.
  4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Many people say depreciation is great benefit to the investor but reality is depreciation is the gradual decline of both the physical and economic life of building
    Scott No Mate is correct this building is at the end of its life!