None carpet flooring options?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Propagate, 18th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

With 3 BIG dogs, the house stinks.

They are generally kept out of the main bedroom, but after being in this place a over a year now even just them coming in and out of the room has been enough for the original wool carpet to have soaked up the dog stench.

They are house dogs, part of the family so they're always inside when we're in generally.

Very open plan house, wood floors though 90% of it aside form:-

1 - TV 'sofa room, one of those sort of open plan ones that's it's own room but off the side of the hall, the hall/dining/kitchen is all timber floor, this room light wool carpet. I want to lay a hard floor that contracts with the wood floor adjacent, One option is just get the same floor as the rest of the house and continue it but I think a contrast would be better? I don't like tiled floors in living areas, wondering if anyone has seen anything a bit different to the casual wood planking? There'l be a big rug in the middle to soften it up.

2 - Main bedroom, big room that continues through walk-in robes and into a hidden nook. Currently all wool carpet which I really hate. If shows all the dirt, I don't like the feel under foot and is sheds constantly so take 5-6 empties of the hoover every time you vacuum. This room is/can be closed off completely from the main house so doesn't need to tie in with the rest of the floors. Again, don;t like tile and want a hard surface, we like rugs though so easy to break up the space.

Any ideas for something s little different than just regular click-lock planking?

Cheers.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Vinyl plank - very heavy duty (Commercial grade used in shops but virtually indistinguishable from timber). Also slightly softer underfoot than timber.

wylie and Propagate like this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Do they do lock together ones? @Scott No Mates Last time i used that stuff was in a cheap flat 25 years ago in the UK, glued straight to the floor (self adhesive) and within weeks they'd "walked" apart leaving sticky gaps and overlaps everywhere. Was a mess.

4. Scott No Mates

Not suggesting the Bunnies DIY but commercial floor layer.

(I've done the sticky Bunnies, used a roller, rubber mallet and achieved a very acceptable outcome).

Propagate likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Propagate likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Or the hybrid vinyl planks if you want some extra acoustic and clicks together.

I use these Hybrid flooring | Proline Floors Australia

Propagate and Scott No Mates like this.