Non property owners complaining about landlords

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Dean Collins, 16th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I saw a post about a investor who, out of the sweetness of his heart and nature caps the rent to match match exactly to cover the mortgage repayments (so below market rates). Couldn't resist calling out that the rent should be raised to cover other expenses and stop being an intentional negative gearer. Plenty of Likes and no response (reply nor venomous private message) from that fellow.

2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Friend of a friend wrote a 5,672-word essay on the subject of being evicted as tenants. Lots of resonance from her friends on Facebook in similar situations. After trying to point out that landlords are humans too, they insisted that landlords just view renters as scum. Self-fulfilling prophecy, perhaps?

(fwiw I like my tenants a lot.)

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I think I understand your point..

What happens over time if the incentives for investment properties are removed? Won't this restrict supply of available rental accommodation? Won't restricted supply increase rents??

If the govt were to use the tax $ gained by removing NG provisions, what would they do (assuming they could competently spend the $)? Build more affordable housing? Where? How do they do that without driving property prices down in established markets? Build new satellite cities with desirable features/infrastructure? Govt owns housing but allows long-term, commercial-style leases with rents indexed to CPI?

I'm not a big fan of "social engineering", but I think there are some exciting opportunities in this space, and I remember an article on here about some guy wanting to build his own city in SE QLD.

4. DaveyB

DaveyB Well-Known Member

That is far too sensible, pls stop.

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Sensible? It needs a comprehensive fact check. There are a lot of errors.

6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you allow emotions to rule and reign over reason and logic you will have a **** life, period.

Emotions are important and not to be ignored but not at the expense of reason and logic.

Sackie and Perthguy like this.