non payment

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Fernfurn, 19th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

We have an apartment pretty solidly let through holiday period and I wasnt checking payment of stays as they all usually go through as a matter of course. We had one couple who were high maintenance so this is why I am persevering on this. They didnt pay. We received their deposit through the booking company and then not a thing since. I have complained 3 times now, particularly that they gave our address without getting final payment. They all say they will get on to her and get payment, but of course it doesnt happen. My stance is that our contract was with the letting agent (not the client they put in) and therefore the letting agent is responsible. Anyone else had this problem?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Why is there a "deposit "? That suggests its off the market and accepted. Full payment should be the only booking if thats your requirement. Maybe a 48 hour holding deposit for them to sort bank transfers or a card payment option etc...Tell agents it is to be cancelled if its not paid in 24 hours. if thats required. Its not a residential tenancy lease is it, so there is no issue. Or full payment within XX days IF you offer that. No part amounts, no holding. Nothing. You cant pay when you arrive, ever as you wont have a booking. This is how our booking.com and Airbnb policies operate and it self regulates. You cant book if you dont pay. You cant part pay. Dont ask about paying by EFT etc. We dont offer booking.com options to take deposits or allow cancellations within XX days which are options to owners, not to people who stay. If they cant arrive we offer refund adjusted for any value difference if it can be rebooked. If not = nothing. Many arent that fair and may keep your $$ and rebook it like an airline or hotel.

Dont blame the agent. Act as owner. Its your money.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Fernfurn

Both airbnb and stayz take a deposit then a final payment. This couple paid a deposit and no more, but because they had paid the deposit, stayz gave them our address!! I only found this out when I complained they hadnt paid and have insisted they dont give out our address in future until guest has paid in full. This couple are not returning phone calls and no action despite repeated requests to stayz. I have told stayz they are responsible for this money as our contract is with them, not the guest they put in, but still no action. I have her phone number and intend sending a text saying pay up or we will take further action.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Did they actually stay there? How did they get access if they did?

5. Fernfurn

Of course they stayed otherwise I would not be expecting payment., but because you dont get paid until they leave, I didnt realise they hadnt paid. I am just wondering who to put the debt collectors on, stayz or the guest

6. Astute Investor

Astute Investor Well-Known Member

How much is it? Debt collectors can sometimes take the lion share. I find its only really good if you want to make sure the person pays (and have given up on the money) or you think there is zero chance of getting it back.

7. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Go to Small Claims Court with all paperwork - let them sort it out ... :)

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Stayz is a pretty poor platform and is more like gumtree or FB Marketplace than a owner managed property platform like booking.com or airbnb. Its dispute resolution etc is pretty bad. Stayz is a "marketplace" of ads that joins two parties. A note stapled to a pole would be better. They have zero involvement and its pretty ordinary when things do go wrong. They to to take and keep money or give it back !!! than act for the owner. Its possible that you were scammed by a someone who knows the known flaw in their booking system and then the card is cancelled or a Nil balance debit card. Later payment fails and they are already in. You have no recourse and they will tell anyone they did pay Stayz and stayz wont be much help. They have the paymnet info but cant draw it down IF the funds are even there. Its civil so you wont get far. Booking.com and Airbnb will end a booking if it isnt consistent with the payment policy for that booking (dont chose pay at property and make full prepayment the rule). Offer a full refund if XX days notice is given if its helps. (Our 28 days) Then it can be easier to use the OTHER platform with an ad showing the dates available as a single offer. Booking.com you can also offer all inclusive ricing so the fees includes clean etc....Booking.com will not allow card details to be removed before arrival without new payment being validated with card issuer for a minimum amount the day prior (Often $100 or set by policy eg $400) Ifg its not cleared the booking can be at risk still. That good for extra charges. The broken booking deposit will be paid to owner less fees for a cancelled booking. The platform wont refund this if they do ask.

Stayz Questions