Non Approved Dual Occ - QLD Highset

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Shady, 9th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Just looking at putting in an offer on a property in the north of Brisbane. Top level has separate entrance and 4 bedrooms currently owner occupied. They lease out the ground level for $160w cash which is a 1 bedroom.
    I know this is not council approved...What are the issue I may need to overcome..ie 1 electricity metre, insurance, property manager refuses to assist.

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

All of the above, plus the ato if you are wishing to continue leasing out one part on a cash basis.

3. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I had massive issues with a set up similar to this at the beginning of the year. And finance wouldn't get approved, either, so I wasted a lot of time, money and effort on this. Run for the hills….. :eek:

4. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    some of these can be overcome, ie declare the income, install second electricity metre, get another property manager....Not sure how if any insurance company would go for it though...

Does anyone currently do this successfully?

5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We may be able to get it through by changing the classification of the building from class 1a to class 1b and selfassess Rooming Accom. Sometimes it can be expensive to change the building to comply with the code. I would allow $6k if hardly any changes required and up from there.