No show at home inspection - Even with price reduction

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Alex P Keaton, 10th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex P Keaton

Alex P Keaton Well-Known Member

Ok so I rang my agent to try to get out of the exclusive selling agreement. The agent I’m thinking of employing suggested I try to end the agreement early. I’m meeting with my agent tomorrow to discuss.

Seeing that she has the agreement until the middle of may do you think it might be an idea to keep her on, take it off the market a few weeks and just stage it now. Or do you think I should go with a total fresh start with a new agent and stage it with new agent?

2. Alex P Keaton

Yeah I don’t care as I won’t be buying another property for around five years at least.

Balance transfer on the credit card sounds like a good option too. I’ll keep that in mind.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you want it to pop back up to the top of the listings on realestate.com.au you will need to take it down for at least 21 days. I think that's the right number - REAs know the number. If you put it back up before that time it will go back to it's old position in the old listings.

You can most likely end your exclusive agreement at any time however there are clauses within it that if the buyer is introduced via the first REA then they are the ones who get the commission.

Alex P Keaton likes this.
  4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I would contact the agent that sold the other apartment in your building recently and get their thoughts about next steps

Ed Barton and Alex P Keaton like this.
  5. Alex P Keaton

Ok, thanks. I’ll keep that number days in mind when looking to readvertising. I’ll read the agreement when I get back to my car. The clauses...

But do you think I’m better off going with a new agent when I do go to stage it or would it be ok to stay with my current agent and stage it?

6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Why the hell would you go with your current agent that decided to take a holiday during the selling process. Wake up, your agent is crap.

Ed Barton, qak and Joynz like this.
  7. Alex P Keaton

Well when I first signed up with her in November it wasn’t a issue. But then I decided it was not a good time to sell in November so I thought I’d wait till January to sell. So we waited! Then a few weeks into the advertising of my unit I found out she was taking holidays for 3 weeks in feb.

She really should have let me know when I first signed up in November that she would be away during February.

I’m going to try to get out of the contract. I’m not sure if it’s going to be easy as she can be quite persuasive. She’ll try to keep me.

A lesson learnt. I learnt a few

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm not positive on the number of days so please check with your REA. However changing REAs might also reset it

9. Alex P Keaton

Ok thanks. Will do

I’m meeting with my current agent tomorrow night

10. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Read through the contract properly, it will state when her time is up. The longer you leave it on realestate.com the days on market add up for many to see. Don’t sign any new contracts until you find an agent that you’re happy with.

Alex P Keaton likes this.
  11. Alex P Keaton

Hi Perth people such as @Westminster @MTR and others. I remember reading you have staged your properties at various times. Do you have any recommendations for a good stager? Thanks.

Redwing likes this.
  12. Alex P Keaton

I’m thinking about painting the unit. Some people here suggested it could be a good idea. I don’t want to overcapitalise and spend too much money with no return but it could be a good option to help me sell it.

Sometimes you have to send money to make money. I can’t see it adding too much value it’ll just help me to sell it.

I’ve attached two photos.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Photos always make a place look better than it really is... but it doesn't look to me like it needs painting.

If it is not rented, I'd seriously consider dropping further and get the agent to tell anyone looking it will be taken off the market in two weeks if no offers.

If you have to wait until mid-May for this agent's authority to finish, you are losing more and more and then paying to stage it, photograph it and pay listing fees again for the internet listing. I'd cut it loose now by dropping by what you will lose anyway.

Joynz likes this.
  14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

TLDR
    Do you have to pay advertising/marketing costs once you end the current selling agreement?

15. Alex P Keaton

But the thing is I doubt it’ll sell the way it’s presented even at a lower amount! There are so many similar units out there!

I think it’s a good idea to stage it, make it look good to make sure it’s in its best light. Get those buyers in the door.

I’m thinking I might just stay with my current agent as it doesn’t expire until mid may. She should be able to sell it when I stage it.

Id ask the same amount or maybe $5000 more?
    What do people think?

I’m thinking I’ll readvertise mid April.

16. Alex P Keaton

I already paid some money up front. Half of it. I don’t have to pay anything more until it sells.

What does TLDR mean?

17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Hey alex,

a piece of advice, most agents, if theyre not going to lose any money, and if its not selling, theyre quite happy to end exclusive arrangements early or without penalty,
    obviously if they suspect you have a buyer and are trying to avoid commissions or the market is about to turn, thats a different story,

Just ask them, and explain yourself,
    selling agents can be as slimy as a used car salesmen, but in these situations of not selling I find theyre quite reasonable

Ed Barton likes this.
  18. Alex P Keaton

Hi.

Thanks, she doesn’t want to end the agreement.

I’m meeting with her later to discuss.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

TLDR - too long didn't read.

If you are locked into that sales contract until mid-May and it is empty now, why not stage it now? You'll at least save some of the rent you will lose between now and May.

20. Alex P Keaton

I was thinking of waiting the 21 or 30 days so it comes up as a brand new listing.

I’ll be booking some days off work so I can do some jobs such as staging. I’ll get good Sammy’s to collect the rest of my furniture rather than putting in storage. That’ll save me some money.

I think it’s a good idea to takeoff the market first rather than it going stale and being on the market too long. It’s been on already for 2 months