Education & Work No promotion

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 6th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Fast forward 10 years, he will get retrenched again, unless the future is changed. Paging @ Dr.Emmett

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Organizations are changing so fast this is happening all the time.

Some are using this to change their workforce...they retrench whilst also hiring. Normal course of business now.

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I like this idea!

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I like this idea too. In my little job, there are several things that I can see that would improve the bottom line (this is retail). I've offered to put my ideas forward to save my boss being seen as being pushy. She has always said no. That it is not worth upsetting the powers that be. So I do nothing and just shake my head when I see stupid waste. (One small item of stock can be delivered in one box by courier at the same time as another box with two items in it, delivered by the same courier from the same distributor to the one store, in the one visit.) There is so many things like this, each of which would save time and money, but it requires coordination.

Another time in my job I did stand up and write a letter when our door counter was counting people twice. That affected our conversion rate. My boss said "don't waste your time trying to fix this". Instead I did a manual count one day and, sure enough, the count was double. So many things are set in train by our conversion rate figures. I put it on paper, gave it to someone higher up and sure enough, it was installed incorrectly and was fixed.

For me, I don't care that someone else probably took the kudos for working it out. I'm there for enjoyment, not promotion or a pat on the back.

But Tim, if you do put forward ideas that can help things, ensure that you are recognised for them, and not someone else who may be happy to take the "pat on the back" for your idea.

Tim86 likes this.
  5. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

Never bothered with trying for promos back when I was working. Figured the increase in responsibilities and accountability would negatively impact my equity investing ;) Retired at 35 in the following manner:

Was getting told off by new boss for taking a snickers for a mini bar in hotel room - we'd got taken over by a bank, apparently they had a no hotel mini bar use policy that they forgot to mention. Even though the snickers bar cost like $4 as opposed to if I'd gone out for dinner which would have cost the bank $40+. Told her in full view of the whole team she can shove the job and quit on the spot 5 years ago. Went to Europe for two months and couldn't handle going back to work on my return.

Tim86 likes this.
  6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Tim. It's good that you are taking out your frustration, anger and energy into getting better with your IPs. That's the best medicine and think of the satisfaction when you can one day say "See you guys later and enjoy the next 30 years being chained to your desk".

For me personally, I gave up on seeking any promotions or climbing the corporate ladder because that's not my goal in life anymore. I want to be able to retire prematurely and spend more time with family and giving back to the community.

Tim86, cdchi1 and neK like this.