Education & Work No promotion

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 6th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That seems rather petty. I wouldn't progress in that organisation either.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Was it the public service?

Attached Files:

inertia likes this.
  3. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I was asked to order my priorities. I said family, health & work. Their feedback was I wasn't committed to their company :)

Tim86 and neK like this.
  4. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Don't get bitter ... Get better.

I've missed a few promotions to hammerheads ... Inevitably they get found out to be ... hammerheads.

In the end, the opportunities come around again ... I've been with the same company for 19 years, after the first 8 years in Sydney I've spent the last 11 living & working overseas in different countries, currently loving Viet Nam.

Tim86 likes this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ouch. So you are one of those guys.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Haha great answer! That "work /life " balance companies like to spruik is horse ****

Tim86 likes this.
  7. bob shovel

Its all good, just get your promotion $$ via other channels.... Taking office supplies, using fuel cards, longer lunches, download movies... The usual stuff ;)

Tim86 likes this.
  8. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Yep, Just work start working 7 hour days :p

9. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

Unlucky mate, was hoping you would get it

Tim86 likes this.
  10. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Do you work in the public service? I know they look for very specific answers that are all about the hierarchy and nothing to do with initiative.

11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah a bit of a let down. Its really awkward too because I had so many people tell me to go for it and that id be perfect for the position. Including supervisors etc... but when it came down to it management decided no. So now I get to deal with all the people telling me chin up...

Ive found out who got the position, and they are alright. So at least they didnt choose to promote an idiot.

But its just a bit to process because there is no other way to progress in my part of the organisation except getting that position. And that opportunity only comes up once every few years. So now I really dont see a future at my workplace. Which sucks.

And its not even about the money. My organization helps out kids in need, and the promotions mean being given more responsibilities and more opportunities to help out the kids and help your work colleagues do a better job helping the kids. And it was a position I had a lot of ideas for. But theyve put people in with no vision. People that dont think outside the box at all. So its going to be the same culture, the same limits, and in the end our organisation does a worse job for it.

Its just a missed opportunity. Which is hard to swallow. And now ive got to rework my vision of what my future is going to look like. Because I wont be able to reach my goals working for the organisation Im at right now.

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Not public service but sounds like a spot on description. Youd have a lot of people from the public service working for my organisation, so maybe thats where that culture comes from.

13. teg499

teg499 Well-Known Member

maybe now is a good time to look for job elsewhere. ?

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Consider this a blessing in disguise...this is the fork in the road to forge a new direction in 2005.

Focus on property like a neurosurgeon when he operates. In 10 years..if you are at the same company...you might have your GM asking you for tips on how to get set-up for retirement.

15. bob shovel

I guess it's not really an industry of competitors but what other organisations are out there?? Is it time to branch out and take a punt at somewhere else?
    Don't lose your enthusiasm for it! You are doing great with things outside work but your work isn't about the dollars and sounds like you don't want it that way. Perhaps there's another organisation out there where you can slot in to that next level

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

At least in the public service it's supposed to be a merit based process and all documented.

Tim86 likes this.
  17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Sometimes we cant make the space to become what we are destined to be .............. thats when stuff like this happens.

ta
    rolf

Patamea and Tim86 like this.
  18. matchsticks

matchsticks Active Member

Sounds like you have mixed feelings about not getting the promotion.

I find this interesting... You've said that it is not all about money and at the same time said this would be a stepping stone to a much better paying position.

You're making more money than your managers but somehow not getting the promotion clearly bothers you.

Good choice to use your success in investments as a protective buffer/mechanism for the disappointment.

I was in the very same boat not too long ago and can relate. However, I've come to the realisation that using the concept of feeling superior to someone else is not necessarily the best/only option.

Sometimes, it is important to also reflect and learn from the experience. :)

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah lots of mixed feelings about it. But ill get over it :)

20. matchsticks

matchsticks Active Member

Are you able to effect change without the title? Leadership can take many forms...

If you are able to implement or make changes that you had originally planned (if you got the role); you can still help out the kids and your work colleagues. Albeit without the desired salary.

If you can inspire change and improvements in spite of not being successful with the promotion; then it will go a long way towards justifying the support and encouragement you received.

Your attitude, and not your job title defines you.

Good luck!

Archer and neK like this.