Education & Work No promotion

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 6th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Got overlooked at work for a promotion. Alas...

But makes me feel like being super successful with all my property investments so I can rub it in management's face.

Daydreaming of rocking up to work in a ferrari and parking it next to their Toyota camrys. :)

Not a super mature reaction, I know, but does help to refocus things.

I already make two times the yearly income of my manager so thats some consolation.

I think ive been spoilt with property investing. I invest myself in property and get rewarded for it. So to invest myself at work and not get rewarded for it is... different...

Oh well back to what I know. Property investing still appreciates me :p

jins13, Redom, freyja and 9 others like this.
  2. mja

mja Well-Known Member

I think we all know what it's like to not get promoted, meanwhile Johnny Jackass is getting promoted to n+1. I

Work harder on yourself than your job.

alexm, Johnny Cashflow and Tim86 like this.
  3. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

My job is just a means to support my property investment. I dont care about my title or role as long as it pays the bills and helps me proceed with my investments.

4. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I agree entirely about working on you, your brand, personal development and wealth creation.
    But don't mix the negative energy of trying to one up others. Keep your focus clear..

Johnny Cashflow, Bran and Tim86 like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My old & since retired maths teacher (was starting his career at the school when I was there).
    By the time that he retired he was on his 2nd Porsche. Apparently it's got something to do with the numbers & the G-G's

Tim86 likes this.
  6. THX

THX Well-Known Member

I haven't had a promotion in 15 years :(

Of course, I'm self employed...boss is an ******** :p

wylie, moyjos and Tim86 like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Wait until the person that beat you is the kid you were training a few years ago. Yes, it has happened to me. :mad:

Stu and Tim86 like this.
  8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

It's crazy hey.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

No doubt your nose isn't brown enough.
    It's probably for the best (no consolation, but hey ;))

Redom, Greyghost and Tim86 like this.
  10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Perhaps much less stress too. Gives your mind spare CPU cycles for thinking about property.

Azazel and Tim86 like this.
  11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Exactly it was going to be more pressure and worse hours for minimal pay increase. But it would be a stepping stone to a much better paying position.

But the thing is, I get more money working on my properties than I do doing extra hours at work... so its really not such a bad thing that I refocus onto my investments.

Azazel likes this.
  12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Revisit the interview in your head.
    Analyse what things were asked and how you responded, and how they responded.
    It'll better prepare you for the next opportunity.... Which may actually be around the corner, and this interview may have actually been a trial run without you knowing

Attached Files:

WattleIdo and Perthguy like this.
  13. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I was overlooked for promotion once. They decided to bring someone outside of the business. I actually knew the guy and he was not really good, but interviewed and was bulls##t artist. They expected me to report to him and at the same time 'teach' him everything about industry, legislation etc. I decided to walk out and resign without any job to go to. Had a couple months break and got quickly other similar job.

Sure enough the guy got sacked a year later when everyone had realised that he is not really that good and there was not anyone holding his hand and making him to look good.

Chrispy and Perthguy like this.
  14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

The thing is, I answered the questions how I wanted to answer them. For example, one question was how I would react to someone giving me critical feed back. I said that feedback can be useful and everyone should have their door open to feedback. I said certain cases of critical feedback is just the other person venting and obviously that feedback needs to be taken with a grain of salt and treated in kind.

Ive since heard that the answer they were looking for was that you would shut down the other persons complaints and see your higher up manager about it.

For me im never going to say you shouldnt listen to and consider all feedback. How closed minded and arrogant do you have to be to shut down all feedback.

So for me...its just not worth bending to their way of thinking. Not when its stupid lol.

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Tim, there is more than one way to answer a question and still convey the same meaning. Which is why it's important to analyse your answers and how they respond and tweak based on a persons reaction and facial expression.

matchsticks likes this.
  16. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

they are looking for the wrong answer! keep up with your property investment and ferrari would be in no time!

17. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I've been looked over twice for a promo. First one they fired. Spent more time out the front of the building smoking than in the office. Their replacement lasted 2 months, walked out one day and didn't come back At least the didn't put me through the interview process for a third time!

18. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Do you think it's because we are running property businesses on the side? Nah

19. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Being overlooked is one thing and it feels like it sucks. But maybe its a good thing.

Being put into a position of increased work load, increased responsibility and increased pressure sucks just as much.

One of the reasons I took on my job originally was that I was at the 'bottom' of the chain. I had no reports. All I had to do was what my boss(es) asked of me and I was good.
    Coming from a role which held high expectations, pressure and a team of 35people I looked forward to the ease and relaxation.
    2years later and Im back with a team of about 20 (and growing). So much for my semi-retirement.
    The additional $$ dont make up for the increased work load - though they do get me closer to the end game slightly quicker.

If you dont need the $$ like you say enjoy your cushy 'lower level' role. Relax into it and be good at it. The additional $$ dont make up for the shorter life span. Dont be bitter.

Blacky

20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I think this should be in the first world probs thread....

I'll swap ya - 50% pay cut 2 years ago and still not improved....and it gets worse.