No more Avacado

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by dabbler, 3rd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is serious or taking the mickey......have not thought about the motive, but seeing the smashed avacado thread was so popular & this directly has avacado as part of the story, I thought some may like to read....

Do not buy a house in Sydney

highlighter, Perthguy and skater like this.
  2. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Since when was paying off a property as a single person easy?
    If they are renting the property out, it just seems like poor long term planning...

3. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

That guy is hilarious, no numbers on the actual purchase either. Just whining about not having it all.

Seriously, I can't stop laughing. Sure it's hard but it doesn't have to be if you buy what you can afford than what you want to afford.

EDIT: Too many people in my generation go from what does "financial future" mean to "plan everything this month" with no transitioning and are faced with hard reality when they do take that step.

House and bob shovel like this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

He raises some valid points. Renting is so much better, no gardens to maintain, don't need to worry about scratching walls or blocking up the thunder box!... that's for someone else to worry about.
    Plus you get the fancy clothes and all the smashed avo you desire :D

5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's done what I initially tried.. looked at buying a place within 10mins from where his parents live. Gotta remember we can't afford what our parents can - we're 20+ years behind them financially.
    Look a little further out, and affordability gets better.

Whilst on topic, I went to a cafe this afternoon. I had a good laugh when i saw what was on the menu..

Attached Files:

paulF, dabbler, wobbycarly and 8 others like this.
  6. Ran Gus

Ran Gus Well-Known Member

To state the (apparently not so) obvious, it's a she: "Rashell Habib".

The picture is from Dawson's Creek and is a meme taking the **** out of her complaining.

Dawson Crying | Know Your Meme

Anyway, she obviously didn't think her purchase through or plan appropriately! Surprised when reality hits her in the face...or maybe she just wants attention for her article ;)

WattleIdo and Angel like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Is it satire? I can't tell

8. big max

big max Well-Known Member

As I posted on another thread earlier:

You think this dude looks unhappy now making his first mortgage payment? Wait until interest rates rise just a tad, buyers default, banks tighten up on lending and foreign off the plan buyers "hand back the keys", with prices dropping 20-30% hitting especially those hard who have little positive equity. It will happen ...

Do not buy a house in Sydney

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Obviously, he has never heard of delayed gratification.

Suck it up buddy - it is going to get worse before it gets better :) :).

Well, it did for us. And that was 25 years ago.

10. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

A very Sydney-blinkered view :rolleyes: believe it or not, a lot of the rest of Australia is doing fine..

big max, D.T., Tim86 and 1 other person like this.
  11. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

But along with any hype are ample warnings and knowledge that Sydney has just had a monster bull run. She's simply venting her realisation of making a dud investment.

big max and WattleIdo like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think so. Certainly taking the mickey.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Is housing affordable if the affordable places are eschewed by those looking to buy a first home?

I love to bang my Norlane drum a bit, but is not 60 K's out of Melbourne not dissimilar to the distance Sydney-ites need to look to be able to get something at a price under $500K? If they consider a different area of the country, well they can get a full house on a standard block for a price even under $250K, indeed these price points are common here.

And the upshot being, there's lots of large local employers around here, commute time to Melbourne is inside an hour, and importantly even on a regular income, you can buy smashed avocado if you want, or even a few at Aldi for $9 a bag and smash your own!

But there is a serious disconnect between people whingeing about affordability yet being unwilling to explore those areas that are affordable. In a way a mate of mine made a good analogy, it's like the unemployed whinge about no jobs, but are unwilling to do jobs that may be available in other areas..thus they say they 'can't get a job'. Honestly, if you are serious about wanting to buy a place, get it in your head to be flexible about where that place may be.

I contend that there's not a place in Victoria that offers proximity to the coast, Melbourne less than an hour away, and even Geelong's waterfront and cafe precincts for the sort of money that Geelong's Northern suburbs offer. It kind of makes me want to hit some of these people (and the commentators that only bang on about Melbourne and Sydney being places to consider living) with one of those novelty circus squeaky mallets!

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

But housing is so unaffordable. I have $5k in cash and I can't afford to buy one those nice, large houses in Toorak :) :).

Dave3214 and big max like this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.