No Money Down, Flip - Renovate As Deposit

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by fancypants, 31st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fancypants

fancypants Member

Hi Everyone

I've known about Rick Otton for a while and have watched his career from a distance over the last 10 years. He seems to be one of the true property gurus that consistently follows through, backs himself and his students and makes money in all markets.

One of his ideas seems attractive to me at the moment. Buy a house, negotiate and extended settlement, find a tradey who wants to buy a house but who has no deposit, the tradey renovates the property and adds enough value above the purchase price, there is sufficient equity in the property now so the tradey's bank will lend him 90-95% of this, I get the difference between the original purchase price and the new bank lend of 90-95%.

Has anyone done this or know how this would work in practice? I'd love to hear about your experiences, thoughts and does it work? I'm in WA.

The challenges to overcome that I can see and queries I have, far from exhaustive obviously:
    - what if the tradey can't increase the value enough and finance falls through for him. Do I need to settle on the property?
    - Entering into a purchase contract that allows me to back out if the tradey isn't successful but doesn't allow the seller to back out, because now all of a sudden their property is worth $80k more and they haven't done anything
    - Finding a seller willing to let the above happen to their property (full disclosure obviously)
    - Finding the tradey who can deliver on his promises
    - Do I pay stamp duty on the property or is the tradey buying the property from the seller?
    - Do I pay CGT or is the tradey buying the property from the seller?
    - Do I need to enter into a wrap agreement as back up in case the tradey can't deliver?

Thanks!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I think you need to be realistic with these sorts of things. It is possible in theory, but....

Yes you will pay stamp duty and income tax on the profit, if you can pull it off.

Plutus, VB King and legallyblonde like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good points.
    I did not think Rick O was still around?

I think Rick O was using this strategy in USA successfully, he also operates a business teaching this stuff, but I have yet to meet any investor who has done this successfully.

4. noogie60

noogie60 Well-Known Member

No money down - brings to mind the classic Lionel Hutz scene from the Simpsons

5. fancypants

fancypants Member

Haha yes I know it's a long shot.

My hands are tied for the time being, serviceability and equity are fully tied up but I don't want to sit on the sidelines for the next 3 years. Knock on 100 doors and 1 will open.

Has anyone had any experience with his "payments", which I assume is some form of wrap? I'm not too keen on getting involved with wraps but I can definitely get on board negotiated payments over a longer period.

House likes this.
  6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Here's some WA experiences for you.

RICK OTTON BANNED - Real Estate News

S.T and Perthguy like this.
  7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think the stuff your talking about sounds sexy in theory but most likely a disaster in practice and quite high risk. Personally I wouldn't waste my time or money with this approach in OZ.

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2017
    legallyblonde, VB King and Perthguy like this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Which market are you thinking if doing this in @fancypants ? How sure are you that it will keep rising?

I went and saw a "flip" on the weekend. Someone had bought an old house,. Gave it a quick makeover and put it quickly back on the market. Problem was they did this as the market turned.....

This "flip" had gone from asking price of 500k to 380k and was still on the matket THREE years later......

I'm sure it's an amazing strategy in the book, but it works both ways.

Be careful.

Perthguy and aussieB like this.
  10. consumerrights

consumerrights Member

Rick Otton has been teaching in the UK since April 2015 when ACCC issued prosecution for misleading conduct in Aus - he appears to be in Greece at the moment looking for property bargains. He seems to focus a lot on persuasion techniques Rent-to-buy selling techniques to convince sellers and buyers to enter into very unfair agreements. While the Federal Court heard the ACCC case 9 months ago, no decision has been handed down yet.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Seems this idea expects others to take responsibility, either the tradie or the vendor, except you.

Saying to a vendor, well, we will rip your place apart, if we add enough value we will proceed with the contract. If we don't, or if things go pear-shaped, well we will leave you with a huge mess (and possibly an uninhabitable house), back out of the contract and there is nothing you can do about it???

How can you guarantee that you will add $80K of value? Who is paying the $80K?
    Marg

12. consumerrights

consumerrights Member

Federal Court decision handed down today in misleading & deceptive case against Otton - Judge says "Despite claiming that Mr Otton had been successful financially "in following these ideas and strategies", there was almost no evidence that [Mr Otton and WBH] had used the strategies, let alone used them to make money," 'Buy a house for $1' claims deceptive, misleading: judge

S1mon, thatbum and Terry_w like this.
  13. Phill74

Phill74 Well-Known Member

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

This is the impossible bit :D

The Y-man

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would not care who you are/were, your not doing renos on my house, when you own it you can dozer it if you like, but I am not carrying risk for you and someone else.

Any decent solicitor would knock this one on the head too, not too mention your very likely breaking your mortgage contract if your using finance.

This one does not pass go, so no 200 hundred for you....

Marg4000 likes this.