No Longer a Property Forum

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by MTR, 27th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just another question so if Australian shares are an attractive option what is the sweet spot....in terms of returns???

I keep hearing 6% net/fully franked..... yet most shares do not provide these returns. ??

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You only see it when the share price is dropping as P/E is a mix of historical and current values ie Current Price/Last Annual Dividend. So a XYZ share last sold on 21/12 for $10, franked dividend was 2 X $0.20 (paid Sept/Mar) - 4% . Today it was selling for $9.25 so return has increased to 4.32%. (All things being equal and no company announcements having been made).

MTR likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I miss Dazz ... yes he could be pigheaded, but he was always a font of information and gave respect if you gave it too ... he didn't suffer fools and if someone attacked his thought process/beliefs then he could be merciless in return ... I loved his warped sense of humour.

Remember the blocked toilet saga where he dug up the driveway for nothing!

Phar Lap, Ostraylia and Vicki S like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Generosity or pre-camera days? There's plenty of fruitless investigation works still undertaken every day.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I miss him too.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

FWIW, I miss Dazz too and I made it quite clear when PropertyChat was launched that he was welcome to post here - provided he followed the rules of course.

GentleChief, Lizzie and hobo like this.
  7. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Agree. I like seeing across a number of avenues. You can dip your toe in and choose what suits best at that point.

Agree with going over to Investchat. Human behavior can sometimes get in the way...:rolleyes:

@Simon Hampel is doing a wonderful job at both sites ( and fwiw, I like having an 'other assets' section on both sites).

trinity168 likes this.
  8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Is the Other Assets section any less valid than the food posts or the vege garden or the tv or running threads? All of which appear well visited.

I am an irregular visitor to Investchat but there are usually only one or two of us there so it's hard to get a conversation going.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'm one of those who might read some of the threads on other assets occasionally, but I'm not going to go to another forum to do it. I've got too much on my plate to bother going elsewhere. So, in the spirit of that, I'm more than happy to have everything in the one forum.

Sackie, Kassy, wylie and 2 others like this.
  10. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I like the compare and contrast between property and other asset classes that goes on here, especially when it comes to retirement income stream discussions. InvestChat just doesn't do it for me.

11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Then, @Simon Hampel , why dont you flick Dazz an email, or send him a text, and let him know that it's a New Year, and there are a number of posters that value his input, and see if he feels like rejoining the group?

It's difficult to argue that his contribution wouldnt add value to the various discussions.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all of you.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

His probably moved on, if he wanted to come back he would be here, at least I think......... or is he a lurker:confused:;)

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2018
  13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I know he lurked for awhile as he came to a Perth meet up after he was no longer a member.
    But yes he was quite aware the door was open here and he could join if he wanted.

MTR likes this.
  14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Definitions of property | ALRC
    Definitions of property
    What is ‘property’?
    7.11 The idea of property is multi-faceted. The term ‘property’ is used in common and some legal parlance to describe types of property that is both real and personal. ‘Real’ property encompasses interests in land and fixtures or structures upon the land. ‘Personal’ property encompasses tangible or ‘corporeal’ things—chattels or goods. It also includes certain intangible or ‘incorporeal’ legal rights, also known in law as ‘choses in action’, such as copyright and other intellectual property rights, shares in a corporation, beneficial rights in trust property, rights in superannuation[15] and some contractual rights, including, for example, many debts.[16] Intangible rights are created by law. Tangible things exist independently of law but law governs rights of ownership and possession in them—including whether they can be ‘owned’ at all.[17]

So other asset classes apart from real estate is still property, strictly speaking.
    I think that's the beauty of PC. It allows wide ranging discussions and at different levels. Of course, trolls make the discussions hard to follow but I am kinda used to it.

The above comments from posters are all valid. Property has lost its flavour a bit lately because of APRA and costs of buying. I am still looking but haven't pulled the trigger. I don't expect every PCers to only buy real estate. If there's a way to make money legitimately, why not? Importing or exporting. Shares, Cryptos etc. Overall, real estate property investing is still the main topic on this site.

@Simon Hampel do you have plans for posters to rate a topic? The number of views of each thread can indicate the popularity but if we are able to rate, it would be better IMHO.

Happy investing guys. I see the value of this forum.

Last edited: 2nd Jan, 2018
  15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Please post suggestions in this thread: PropertyChat v2 suggestions

16. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I reckon he's now one of the old fellas that he spoke about lived up the road from him who used to give him advice cause they were way richer than he !
    No need to come on here, he's made it.
    His input was brilliant IMO. Just didn't suffer fools and some of those got antsy with him, revved him up and then got him banned as he wouldn't back down from an argument.
    Good bloke.

As far as the forum being no longer a property forum, nah, its still got way more intelligent discussion about mostly property with addition of equities discussions that have for the best part not had to endure the age old argument "shares/property are better". Thats moved on now and most folks are joining in to what they want to hear and happy to learn from this great resource that varied over from the Somersoft Forum.

The most benefit I received from the previous forum (and this one is no different) was invaluable encouragement backed by real experienced knowledge of all things property investing. Just a huge lightbulb that lit up and here we are now on easy street compared to where I reckon we would have ended up.

Good job Sim, you've done very well to to facilitate and carry on this tradition of learning, backed by real experience over what would be hundreds of thousands, or possibly millions of hours combined of investing practice.

Congrats to all who contribute.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So looks like crypto currency threads have died in the arse.....what next??

Another sign of the times

18. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

The most expensive real estate per m2 in Australia?

19. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I have a mole and my wife said I should have it looked at. No need to see a medical professional, the internet will provide! What sub-forum should I post a photo in? :eek:

20. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Facebook. :D