No Longer a Property Forum

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by MTR, 27th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

And there are plenty of them out there who believe similar and are happy not to buy real estate and rent for life. Its fantastic, we need em to stay that way. If everyone was like you and me...property becomes a much harder game to build wealth with. ;)

Perthguy and hammer like this.
  2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

How do you cash out of that investment?

Ted Varrick likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If - like others - between properties I'm is trying to make the most of the cash I have floating around ... not enough for a deposit, but to much to leave in the bank ... then we do take a gander at other investment opportunities. We are fast approaching retirement, so releasing equity from existing properties - as you do during the building stage - is not where we're at. We're still building, but paying off too.

Even tho it's going gangbusters, and I've done very well in the past, the stock market scares me with the current cross section of government leaders - one comment or threat or tweet and everything could crash.

As for Bitcoin - it reminds me of the Dutch Tulips. Great if you got in at $5 - sell sell sell - but I certainly wouldn't be buying now as it has no physical worth or regulation backing except what other hopeful/greedy people are prepared to pay for it.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

We have largely followed the Somersoft Forum model in this regard where discussions about other asset classes were not explicitly encouraged - although rather than flooding the off topic areas with these discussions like they were on Somersoft - I have instead at least set up a single dedicated area for "Other Asset Classes" to contain the discussion there.

Indeed, I have actively encouraged people to head over to InvestChat to discuss these topic (although with only marginal success).

If you recall the history of discussions on Somersoft - in the lead up to the GFC there was a LOT of discussion about other asset classes and borrowing to invest in shares and such. Indeed, that was one of the reasons why InvestChat was started.

Post-GFC, interest in the sharemarket waned significantly (at least from the perspective of the general public) - indeed traffic on InvestChat dropped dramatically once everyone got scared of the sharemarket and it's only in the past few years (7+ years later!) that interest has started to pick up beyond the diehards who have always been there.

With the major rebuild of the PropertyChat website currently underway, I do have plans to actually separate the discussion somewhat further and make two distinct parts of the site - the shares discussions will be given their own part of the site which people can choose to engage with, or choose to ignore if they aren't interested.

That's still a way off yet - going to require a lot of development work to make that happen!

It's certainly not trivial, but definitely something which has been on my TODO list for quite some time now.

As part of the plans I mentioned above - I intend to do exactly what you described: allow people to effectively "ignore" certain topics (or indeed an entire section of the site) so that if they only want to see (for example) property related discussions, then that's all they will get when they click on "New Posts".

Similarly, some people don't like the off topic discussions and may wish to hide them. Indeed, some people may no longer hold real estate and prefer to just chat about shares and related topics!

As the site grows and discussion volume increases, it can become difficult to keep track of the interesting threads amongst all the clutter - so anything I can do to help people focus in on the topics they are actually interested in should hopefully improve the experience.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sounds good:)

I think the interest regarding shares etc. is basically more to do with the bullish share market, investors chasing higher returns and the fact that many investors have hit the servicing ability wall. With shares you can invest small amounts of cash.

It will be interesting to see when bull turns to bear whether the volume drops off?

MTR:)

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If it aint broken don't fix it as they say.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Dazz was not a hell raiser "because he preached commercial". It was the way he delivered his message that offended many.

Humphrey, geoffw, Kassy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

I think there is an interesting dynamic between the share market and the property market in Australia.

I've observed in the past that when the property market is booming, interest in shares generally wanes - similarly, when the sharemarket crashed, people turned to "bricks and mortar" for safety.

When the sharemarket is booming, less people will be looking to invest in real estate and instead will go chasing the "easy money" in shares.

Note that I am referring to "the masses" (ie large number of people) who tend to shift focus with sentiment (ie what their friends / hairdressers / taxi drivers / the media / etc are talking about) - not individuals who have a plan or strategy and stick to it regardless of market conditions.

Back during the dot.com boom, I was working on a large IT project in the Sydney CBD where every second person (IT contractors or consultants) was "day trading" tech stocks while they worked. That stopped after the tech-wreck.

There was similar sentiment during the sharemarket boom leading up to the GFC. During these times I think there is somewhat less focus on the real estate market because the focus of the media and the general population was elsewhere.

sharon and MTR like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Exactly. If you read Dazz's posts on commercial real estate on Somersoft - there is a goldmine of information there. When he wanted to add value to the discussion, his contribution was priceless.

It was his unfortunate love of bagging residential real estate investors and abusing other members which lead him to being banned. I would much rather that he had stayed and actually added value.

hobo, Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's dead money unfortunately :(

sharon, Phantom and datto like this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

You'll be coffin' up for eternity

Phantom, datto and Scott No Mates like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm not anti any type of investing. Whatever works for the individual is best, be it property, shares, other businesses etc.

13. Scott No Mates

I'm always off topic :rolleyes:

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Once the hide function is set, you'll effectively disappear :p:D

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think the issue with Dazz was more a lack of respect for many of the resi investors. He called a spade a spade & didn't suffer fools gladly. Let's face it, how many threads are there about tenant (silly & expensive) requests are there, with the LL actually agreeing to do the work to 'keep the tenant happy' or people saying that they deliberately keep the rent below market, again to 'keep a good tenant'. The truth is that you should be keeping rent at market rates & while keeping your property well maintained, you get no value by spending extra money on an IP making improvements for 'a good tenant'. A good tenant is one that pays rent on time & looks after your property, not someone who's always whinging & trying to extort their LL.

Although our investing style was at the other end of the spectrum to Dazz's, I believe he respected us because he could see that we although we were resi investors, we treated it as a Business from day 1.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I get this, it was his way or the highway.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Interesting fellow, hard to believe at one point in time he was a mod on a different property forum, don't you need balance to become a mod??

Hard to stay impartial, most will get their feathers ruffled.... he is not a sit on fence type of person. That's probably another thread, another day:)

18. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I've been up to my eyeballs in crypto currencies on this site recently. I guess I'm one of the main offenders.

But the feedback from the people here is better. There's a community of people here whose opinions I trust. Also the property background means that the vast majority of people play the long game, are reserved and think things through. Quite simply, I've made more money in crypto because of this site.

Its also not completely unrelated to property. My crypto gains mean that I get an IP now a year or two earlier than before and when I do get it I'll have more powder in the keg.

I think on and off topic can naturally coexist, especially when property is asleep at the wheel for a lot of people, or so expensive that a little creativity is required in order to join the party.

Simon Hampel, Kassy and Foxdan like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

I never knew he rode a Vespa (like all good Mods of the day).

[​IMG]

Simon Hampel, charttv and MTR like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so too.

Property
    1. Property currently too expensive in some markets.
    2. Some markets softening or close to peak
    3. Some markets already falling back/correcting
    4. Rental yields perhaps 3%?? is it better sticking it in the bank?? How sad
    5. Growth is a pie in the sky? when you have to consider stamp duty
    6. Market sentiment changing?
    7. Government changes will make property less attractive
    8. Regionals are not really cash flow positive, after all expenses
    9. Interest rates expected to rise in 2018/fear could set in??
    10. Sourcing finance is very difficult and it wont get any easier in 2018
    11. Mortgage brokers wont tell you but investors are out of property in the main accessing equity??
    12. Buying costs ie stamp duty etc will kill the deal if you looking to add value, this works best in a rising market.
    13. Developing property, I am still waiting on some real numbers that stack up, high risk at the moment in many markets. IMHO

Its no wonder investors are looking elsewhere..... as we say.....A sign of the times.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia