NSW No evictions in Sydney

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by SarahSydney, 4th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

So automatically at step 1 the idea fails... why would a tenant pay rent upfront when they have no financial security before anything else when they know they cannot be evicted for now?

This is naive LL mentality kicking in here just wanting to be paid before everyone else.

LLs here I am finding are really good at coming up with unworkable solutions that suits the LL.

2. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

This was posted by someone else.. part of an email I received from a property manager today.

"We are also advising people with the Corona Stimulus Package a couple with two children paying 30% of their Centerlink payment plus rent assistance would be able to pay $472 per week and still have $912 per week to live on" The Australian median rent of $430 per week."

It sounds like there's a lot of govt assistance for renters and a few options they can take up before requesting their rent be cut. Not to mention access to $10-20k of their super.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Point 1 fails in that this is Sydney, and the goverment funding is a know amount, but not each person rent. My own rent for example exceeds more than I am eligible for in total goverment benefits.

Point 2 fails if point 1 fails.

Point 3 is sensible, and one would hope goes without saying.

Point 4 is sensible from a tenant and landlords position, it is the government that would need convincing.

Point 5 Is sensible

Point 6 I assume refers to subletting a spare room? I would hope any reasonable landlord would give permission anyway.

Point 7 is pretty moot right now

Point 8 is the one I'd most encourage from both parties. I think the OP mentioned a 15 year tennant proposing a 20% reduction. I suggested accepting it.

I'm not against finding a workable solution.

The problem is that most solutions create an equal and opposite problem right now.

The goverment are the ones invoking the rules and effectively asking land lords to wear it. Ideally the goverment would provide the aid, but as they have said, everyone is in together and even the the banks are wearing it.

Is it fair on landlords? No. Is it fair fair Joe Bloggs lost his income due to (current) goverment policy? No.

The OP asked how to deal with a tenant I (and I assume Adprom) were merely offering the view point of current tenants vs landlords who are by nature probably the majority on these forums.

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2020
  4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Isn't what Tasmania has done simpler?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia