No annual fee credit card

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Lambo, 2nd Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lambo

Lambo Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any credit cards with reward programs and no annual fee? I know the Heritage Platinum visa annual fee is waived if you spend over 35k for the year. Are there any others like this?

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Best credit card is no credit card IMO :)

Beelzebub, D.T., TheGreenLeaf and 2 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Wow how about trimming spending in other areas or having a card included in your lending package fee? All that effort to save $1.50/wk

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I think the coles one has an option for no fees.

5. Lambo

Lambo Well-Known Member

I find the benefits of having a credit card outweigh the disadvantages if you use it correctly i.e. don't pay any interest or unnecessary fees :p

6. benk

benk Member

I use the Citibank Signature credit card. There was a fee-free for life promotion when I signed up last year and it seems to pop up every now and then. Keep an eye on it!

Also use a Platinum Edge Amex which I got the first years fee waived for. Still worth paying the $199 if you can't imo since you get a free domestic flight every year.

7. Cinch

Cinch Well-Known Member

Amex Qantas Discovery. No fees and you earn frequent flyer points so very good if you use it to increase cash in your offset before paying the card off on the due date. Lots of places don't take Amex so you'll probably need either a visa or MasterCard as well.

8. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

28 Degrees Mastercard if you love traveling abroad or shopping online from overseas retailers. Best exchange rates and no forex conversion fees.

Amex Platinum Edge has great rewards program. You pay annual fee but you also get a free annual domestic return flight which can more than offset the fee. There's a fee-free promotion currently- just search "priceline amex".

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Then you keep paying additional merchant fees every time you fill up, buy groceries etc.

10. benk

benk Member

Obviously you only use it when there is no fee =P
    ie no fees at coles, woolies etc

11. Waterboy

I never use amex in merchants that charge extra for using amex or do not accept amex. Unless absolutely necessary.

Coles, Woolies, BP, Caltex and many other common retailers don't change extra for using amex.

12. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Best Credit Card is a Visa Debit Card. Shop just like a credit card but you use your own money, don't have to worry about making monthly payments and it doesn't hamper you're BC. :D

13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If you have commbank loan with wealth package, the credit card has no yearly fee, come with both amex and MasterCard. Otherwise, I like my debit card ...

14. Waterboy

I have to disagree. If you have a full direct debit in place it's like paying with your own money and no need to worry about repayments. And you save interest by keeping your money in the offset as long as possible whilst enjoying the special perks of a CC eg free flights, points, special discounts.

15. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

are you a fellow ozbargainer?

16. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I agree, I do have a credit card with full direct debit in place. You pay out of offset after 55 days interest free from individual purchase dates. I rarely use it unless the purchase is over $500. Handy for Rates etc. But it does "cost" to have this as part of an annual mortgage pro package fee. The OP is looking for little to nill annual credit card fee. Having a credit card/s will still restrict your borrowing capacity somewhat, depending on the credit limit of course.

17. Waterboy

huh?
    It's a common knowledge among savvy travelers.

28 Degrees MC credit + Citibank Plus Visa debit = international winner!

Observer and Mumbai like this.
  18. House

House Well-Known Member

Might be different for CC's with rewards but did you ask to have the fee waived? If not call them up and ask if they'd do it to get you as a customer. Worked for me for my ANZ and HSBC cards. May have helped fibbing that I was looking at going with them for next mortgage :)

19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I just received my Citibank Visa Platinum Reward card. $0 for annual fee and additional cardholder. Going to use this card just for purchases for investment properties. Would you have one credit card for one IP?

20. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Yes, I have 28 degrees and Citibank Plus Visa debit. Is it easy to use? Do you just ensure you have funds in the Citibank Plus Account and withdraw cash from overseas (America) ATMs? I was told to inform Citibank before travelling to America.