Niches in the property industry

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Booming Sunnyvale, 27th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Booming Sunnyvale

Booming Sunnyvale Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, bit of a general discussion chat here. Does anyone know of any businesses or individuals that have set themselves up in a really effective niche area of the industry? I remember a speaker coming to talk to our commercial valuation unit a while ago who had set himself up as the "go to" guy for valuing all the pubs and clubs around Sydney and was apparently doing quite well for himself from it. What other areas have you seen individuals do very well in after targeting a small corner of the property sector?

2. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

No, however one niche area I predict will become increasingly important in the next 10 years is large, quality family homes with a good granny flat. I think we're going to see an increase in people living with their parents and then also an increase in parents living with their kids, aging population and all. If the property market corrects (and in my opinion, this is a near certainty in the long term) we may well see a lot of retirement wealth contract too. Our current pension system is not enough to pick up that sort of shortfall, which will mean we'll see more older people needing to rely on family.

In Ireland, good quality separate family homes in tightly held, popular areas (not on the city fringes) remained quite solid through the correction. A good granny flat will only add to the value in these places.

Blueskies likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Special premises is one aspect of valuation - others include retail, marinas, infrastructure, compensation for compulsory acquisition.

I deal in S3 Pt42 of the Telco Act. Something very few property owners understand.

4. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

Project managers for 1 into 2 splits, granny flats, duplexes and small townhouses are a niche that can be quite well paid in a hot market.
    I am not talking about a town planner or architect (although some do project management too). I am talk about some one you can hand over a blank block/ or one with a house and expect him to turn it into what you specified.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I know an investor who has found a niche market sourcing development sites and project managing these

Another highly successful investor who sources USA properties to Australians and now sources to clients around the world

big max and Connor like this.
  6. Booming Sunnyvale

Booming Sunnyvale Well-Known Member

I love the idea of the sourcing USA properties to Australians, what a fantastic skillset to know and have. Do you know their business name off the top of your head?

MTR likes this.
  7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I've got these niches at home:p

IMG_8469.JPG

8. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Well-Known Member

OK, so I'm terrible at sarcasm... is this sarcasm? Or did you not look at their signature block?

Archaon likes this.
  9. Jaggannath

I just went and read the Act and I still don't understand what you do ;)

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ve
    Are you still sane or did you cheat and read the practice notes?

Very few understand the application of this section, fortunately. :p

11. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I know a PM who now solely operates in the Airbnb space.

12. Jaggannath

I wasn't sane to begin with, so I'm not sure what impact reading it had on me ;)

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.