next to a duplex for growth?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by myusernam, 22nd Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. myusernam

myusernam Well-Known Member

hi all looking to buy a fairly ordinary house on large block in upcoming area. But its beside a very ordinary highset duplex that will never be worth tearing down or remodelling etc. It will always be old and ordinary and is so ugly old and full of asbestos, as well as being highset that it will never be anything other than what it is now, and the tenants are likely to be pretty bad. Im hesitant about this as all other indicators are the house is good, nice houses in the street, good area etc. (no house on other side of duplex as on corner)
    neither have any yard or trees to help shield. both are highset so if you improved and put a deck on this house it would still look over the crappy duplex.

for context north qld so we're talking high 200's)

whats everyone elses thoughts on this? I normally discount any house next to anything other than another house.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

My thought is that an ugly house next door is kinda sucks, but would be something like rank #573 in the list of factors that go into whether I buy a property and the price I offer. Just not that important compared to the other factors.

Guess it might be different if it was a PPOR, but for an IP is that really going to make or break a potential purchase?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

My concern would be if next door is putting you off, then it is likely to have the same effect on potential tenants, particularly those who care about their surroundings, which is a desirable trait in a tenant.
    Marg

4. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Buy both and sit on a nice piece of land that could be developed in the future.

Sonamic likes this.
  5. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

True. Like a more desirable fresh new 4 pack with 2 street frontages.:D

big max likes this.