Next door owner (schizophrenic) causing large turnover of tenants

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Jelsa2, 6th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Thanks @thatbum , maybe the OP will find some help with this By-law breaches: Your options | FLAT CHAT

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tip - Ambulance staff can involuntarily take for treatment a mentally affected person who may be a harm to themselves. They cant just choose to leave a hospital. Requires a 000 call. Important they know its a mental health issue. Requires no guardians or other approval. The ambos will usually call for Police attendance before exiting the vehicle. In some states requires a paramedic (or two) or a Doctor in some states. They may be transported to a hospital to be scheduled there or if possible by the ambos who may take them directly to a mental health facility. Police can co-sign in some instances.

Not a strata issue. What strata manager has a duty of care and skill to diagnose a mental health concern ?

As wylie says its a slow moving revolving door.

3. Bill Williamson

Bill Williamson Well-Known Member

Drink an entire bottle of scotch then go confront your tenants neighbour.

datto likes this.
  4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Yeah , Good luck with that ..... :rolleyes:

Cliff

Perp and wylie like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Never said it was easy . I agree very difficult

6. See Change

In a situation like this the ambo’s will not get involved , it’s not their mandate .

Police , if there are threats , that’s the way to go .

Basically it’s a nightmare ... and no simple solution , just cracks

In the system

Cliff

Perp likes this.
  7. See Change

Knowing how the mental health system works and the strains on it , no one will get involved in this situation .

Police , restraining orders etc , they’re the only people who would get involved , and that only on behalf of anyone being threatened . I can’t imagine them being involved on behalf of an owner who has not been specifically threatened .

Cliff

Perp likes this.
  8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Contact your local adult, or, older adult mental heath team, depending on the age of the person, and ask the triage officer for some advice should you need to escalate the issue, plus, the service event should be recorded. Nothing to stop you calling them each time there is an escalation in behaviour indicating a change of mental state. I suspect they will already be in the system, as Wylie mentions. If they are looking like they cannot live independently any longer, depending on what mandate guardian has, guardian may consider a change to supported accomodation.
    There are a number of teams throughout metro and the State.

9. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Be a nice neighbour and pay for her to go on a 3 month holiday and quickly put it on the market and get an unconditional contract signed and deposit banked

See Change likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Send the neighbour a letter and make out it's from the President of the USA.

Tell the neighbour his cover is blown and that he now knows too much ie that the President is really an alien from outer space.

Inform the neighbour that secret service agents in black suits and sunglasses will visit him soon. He must get away quickly!

Organise a group of people in black suits to move into your unit.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Park a white van with a few high tech looking antennas pointing towards the property. :rolleyes:

datto likes this.
  12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

@datto , given you posted this at 2.12am on Sunday, the OP would have to be inspired, not only with the recognisance of an idea as outstanding, but also the urgency to convey the message...

datto likes this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Crikey. I could have sworn it was 4.00 pm on the Sunday. No wonder my sleep pattern has been out of whack all week.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  14. Jelsa2

Jelsa2 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, well it’s been over 4 yrs since I began this conversation and I want to sell my unit next year. I was able to get a new strata manager from my real estate agency and he’s had conversations with the public trustee but the neighbour is still in situe. My real estate agent has told me that I have to legally disclose my disruptive neighbour to any potential buyer which is very worrying for me. Has anyone had to deal with this and how did you go about it and what was the outcome?

15. Jelsa2

Jelsa2 Well-Known Member

I forgot to say I’ve had the same tenant for 2 years and seems to be able to cope with the neighbour.

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. I can't believe it's been four years. Time flies. What century are we in?

17. Jelsa2

Jelsa2 Well-Known Member

Actually it’s not 4 yrs datto, I looked at the wrong date. But hey it feels like 4 yrs!!

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is the neighbour still disruptive? And if so, what sorts of things?

Last edited: 20th Nov, 2020
  19. money

money Well-Known Member

No way of claiming memory loss about the past situation via a medical condition like amnesia, alzheimer's or dementia?

Is it actually a legal responsibility for you to disclose or is it for an agent to disclose whatever the agent knows about a property?

Just like what Paul's idea from last year of picking a different agent with no knowledge of the issues, however, the may be aware of the issue when they start bring clients to the property and incidents happen while they're there.