Newly sanded floors discolouration question

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by paulF, 19th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    Been doing a mini home reno on my PPOR (floors and painting walls for now) and got a flooring guy to do the floors.
    Issue is as per the attached images, in the lounge area, there was a rug for a very long time and as you can see even after sanding with 36 grit, the discolouration is still very visible. Apologies for the bad image quality... The floor was in seriously bad condition(gouges and deep marks) due to previous owner trying to sand it himself so i'm happy with the end result but was wondering if anyone thinks that the discolouration might even out in time if left uncovered?!!

PS: for finish details, he sanded with 36 grit-> 60 grit -> 100 grit -> sealer -> 2 coats of Waterborne matte Finish while buffing with 180 grit in between coats and wood is Tassie oak (around 40 years old i think)
    IMG_20160519_072900.jpg

IMG_20160519_072956.jpg

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You won't like ever lose the colour difference. We've had this time and time again in IPs and in our own houses. Once you have the discolouration, it is there to stay (generally). You could try a darker stain but it will still be visible (maybe less so).

You could add another rug to hide it a little and once you place furniture it will be less noticeable.

Depending on how the rug sat in the room, if it is a nice "balanced" darker mark which has evenly sized borders, you could route out some fine lines and insert timbers to create a "wooden rug". This may not appeal to you but is one way to hide the colour change and make it look deliberate. It all depends on where the rug used to sit.

3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Wylie,
    i don't mind it to be honest and yeah a nice rug would be a good way to cover it.
    I like your idea of a wooden rug and will look into it !
    Thanks again

4. wylie

This is the type of thing I mean, but it depends on where the shadow is.

84039a0fff8672cd1213f9936082fff0.jpg parquet_disegno.jpg

We once ripped carpets up to reveal boards with gaps between each wide board, never meant to be polished. We had our kitchen cabinetmaker mill the Tassie Oak we were using on our bench tops into 1cm x 1cm lengths, ran a border around about 10 inches from the walls, and our cabinetmaker routed that out to fit the length of Tassie oak and then within that large border, he routed 1cm along each gap in each board and glued in the Tassie oak strips (striped rug effect intimater). It looked fantastic, solved a problem for us and made a real feature in the room.

I don't have a photo unfortunately.

The whole floor was sanded after this was done, and if you've just sanded, you could insert a strip around the perimeter without having to get the whole floor redone.

Just an idea.

Gockie, paulF and EN710 like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Buy a bigger rug ?

jim1964 and wylie like this.
  6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

That looks brilliant! Thanks again Wylie. Definitely worth looking into it!
    The floors were finished yesterday so a strip around the perimeter would be the way to go i guess.

@Paul, yeah i think the easiest solution would be a rug for now.

Cheers

7. wylie

If you buy a rug for now, I'd stick with the same size. Then if you ever want to do the timber "fix" you don't have another shadow line from the new bigger rug.

paulF likes this.
  8. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Wow love it Wylie !

9. MattADL

MattADL Active Member

I have softwood floors. After a kitchen reno some of the cabinets were removed and fitted in a different layout. The parts covered were much lighter than the general floor area, after 9 months they are now all the same.

I used a commercial poly floor sealer with no tint.

paulF likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I reckon that you won't notice it when the furniture goes in.

Also, with tassie oak, it may even out a bit naturally.

paulF likes this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys,
    Decided not to cover it at all as it tuned out ok since the waterbased matte finish has dried out completely. Still dark but the whole area has blended in nicely and the whole finish is looking much more uniform now.Very natural look as i hoped for. Will try and get some better photos.

Cheers again.