Newly built Granny Flat appears to be missing phone line

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Mr. Tall, 8th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mr. Tall

Mr. Tall Member

Hi there,

I have found a property I'm interested in purchasing with the following blurb. I noticed it mentions "Separately metred water and electricity" though nothing about a split phone line, therefore I assume right now there isn't one.

Can anyone here recommend what they would do in this case to have a 2nd phone line installed? I understand most people have their own mobile phones, etc. though this would be to allow both tenants to have their own Internet, etc.

Cheers,
    Mr. T

With nothing more to do, opportunities do not come any better than this!

* Large flat block approx. 575sqm
    * Built in robes to all bedrooms
    * Hybrid Flooring - 100% waterproof
    * Air conditioning in both homes
    * Council approved second home
    * Separately metred water and electricity
    * Dual Rental Opportunity!

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Does it have NBN or 5G? Cause ADSL is on its way out.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think you should probably just ask the agent about this first - they may have just forgotten to mention it.

If a cable connection is needed, give Telstra or Optus a call. Telstra - What is a Lead-In and do I need one? - support

If there is no NBN connection, tenants could use wireless internet. I just saw an ad for non NBN 5G internet...

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2021
  4. Mr. Tall

Mr. Tall Member

Hey guys,

I’ll contact the agent today. Looking the address up on the NBNco website shows the following which is promising, a shame there’s no FTTP in the area though...

Technology used in your connection
    nbn™ Fibre to the Node (FTTN) has been used in your connection to the broadband access network.​

Cheers,
    MT

Propertybuilder likes this.
  5. Vicki S

Vicki S Well-Known Member

I think you will find NBN can only install one box per lot. I was lucky with a recent dual occupancy as the two houses had electricity and gas addresses, so NBN installed for free to the second house. These houses have been a dual occ for 30 years though. I started the connection through Optus and then when the NBN was installed, the tenants organised their own connection.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Why would you assume that.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Who uses landlines (other than legacy services & old folk ;))?

qak, twisted strategies and skater like this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I keep one so my Mum doesn’t need to call me on my mobile - though it’s through the NBN as an add on to my Internet service.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've got one, but I never use it.

10. Mr. Tall

Mr. Tall Member

Hey guys,

Just heard back from the real estate agent;

Neither has NBN connected. You organise this at time of occupation. The front house probably has a phone line, but not the back. There is a cost for them to do this. Separate conduits have been installed for both dwellings by the builder in regards to telephones / NBN lines. Therefore once the owner is ready to connect both dwellings they will be able to use these services separately."​

Any rough idea on how much this would cost to have installed? I've sent a couple quote requests to local data communication companies assuming they are the right people to speak with (feel free to correct me).

My partner (29) and I (30) are still on WiFi in our place! It's NBN FTTN (which is the same as this property) so we don't have an NBN box installed, our router is plugged into the a standard phone line. I assume that's what we'll be providing for our tenants to this property.

11. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Ah, welcome to the world of pain known as trying to get NBNco to install a separate house and granny flat connection.

It can be done, it won't be fast, it will potentially cost $600 for a new development application for the GF connection. Seach "granny flat + NBN" on property chat, plenty of discussion about this.

craigc, ff3 and twisted strategies like this.
  12. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

on option would be a wireless/cordless phone linked to the main residence , although that can have it's own problems , should be easy enough to buy such a system and substitute it for the existing handset in the main residence , one major flaw will be handsets lost or let discharged ( go flat )

IF you are planning dual rental , wouldn't separate phone lines be better , a line shared by family members can have it's tense moments , but between strangers ??

good luck

13. Mr. Tall

Mr. Tall Member

Yep, that’s what I’m planning (separate lines). To clarify;
    • It’s a dual occupancy property
    • Both house and granny flat will be rented out
    • It is likely that both properties will be rented out to separately
    • Ideally I would like each of the places to have their own unique phone line so they can independently set up their own Internet connections :)

14. twisted strategies

when the NBN drops it's lunch ( as it often does in the Logan area ), a landline MIGHT be a lifeline .. ALTHOUGH a mobile phone WITHOUT a SIM card ( emergencies only ) might be the better backup ( except it seems in Logan when both systems have bad days , either independently or simultaneously )

15. twisted strategies

sounds like you need the separate connections to whichever system is current ( and if no NBN yet check to see when it is planned , it MIGHT be worth waiting for )

sadly in this area the NBN replaced 3 functional connections ( Foxtel , ADSL2 and the traditional landline )

maybe i should re-investigate pigeons for those important messages that can be written ( sigh ) even the postman only delivers every second day now

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The postman always rings twice - oh how things have changed.

17. twisted strategies

yep the current one is either terrified of the dog that died four years back , or afraid a tree limb will get him either way sits on the bike and beeps if he needs to get a signature

going to be an interesting service after they unload Parcel Post

18. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

sounds as though you are buying a new build that isn't complete or hasn't had tenants, be careful to verify rents and check what your ROI is, on alot of these new Dual-Occ (main house granny-flat) there is alot of fat baked in, and often, the numbers dont work out above buying a block of land and doing it yourself.

19. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

ADSL is obsolete now, and NBN doesn't require a phone line.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A phone connection requires nbn

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.