Newly build house with "minor" issues

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by pichoo, 25th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pichoo

pichoo Member

Hi all, I need some advice. I've got a duplex completed in around May this year. After tenants moved in, we found out a number of issues, such as shower leaks water through the base of the screen and doors fail to latch, etc.

I've communicated a lot of times with the developer via my property manager (A company that helped us to oversee the development).

The issue lies with the developer failing to send a trade to fix the issues. On two occasions the tenant waited all day and no trade showed up. It's been going on for more than a few months now.

This is my first development and first time dealing with a builder. Do statutory warranties cover small defects ? I'm thinking to call our own trade and fix the issues and just send the bill to the builder - will it void the statutory warranty?

What are my options in this case? Can you guys please advise?

Thank all!

2. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Don't drag another tradesperson in to your mess. If you engage someone then pay them, don;t send the bill to the builder and expect your trade to chase him for it.

Tools

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What are the defects periods noted in the building contract, if the 'defects' are maintenance, then expect to pay for the work.

Did you appoint a builder? You say
    but also
    - who was the builder?

4. pichoo

pichoo Member

No, of course I'll pay the tradie first and deal with the builder later on. Sorry maybe I wasn't clear.

5. pichoo

pichoo Member

Nah its not maintenance. Build quality I assume, small but annoying stuff. I mean shower leaks and
    door latches issues.

Builder is I probably would rather not say it here. DM me if you want to know.