Newcastle NOOB -loving this site & restructuring finances

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MaggieC, 15th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MaggieC

MaggieC New Member

Was about to create - or more honestly, further complicate - a mixed use loan all to save $8mthly account keeping fees =would have been my worst investment ever!
    Even loan restructuring fees now seem a bargain compared to potential missed tax events/items!
    I'm selling IP that was PPOR until 5yrs ago, but is>2ha. I've also been renting the house &1 ha for way below market rent, so hoping i can claim shortfall costs under affordable housing element.
    I'm curious, if i claim cgt exemption (<6yr rule) and then can't claim it for my PPOR of 4yrs for the overlap, them if i sell this in day 2 years do i have cgt issue/bill for 4/6 (or first 4 yrs)?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

3. MaggieC

MaggieC New Member

Thanks Terry.
    I think i worded my piece poorly. I have only rented the property for just under 5 years, so i thought the 6 year rule would apply to the house+2ha?(land is 16ha total)

After 5 hrs of immersion in this site and mainly yours and Paul's comments (brilliant, thanks), I'm clear i need some paid advice asap re both this sale and the purchase I am about to exchange on ..
    Note I'm a more educated consumer, and can appreciate professional input even more!

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Oh yes, if more than 2Ha in size the full exemption won't apply but you could apply the main residence exemption, potentially, to the house and adjacent land up to 2 Hectares - the land under the house and other land, not necessarily touching. You would get a valuer in and select the 2 most valuable hectares.

5. MaggieC

MaggieC New Member

Thanks,
    I'm really glad i found this forum, the quality of conversation is great.
    I've sent you an email.