NSW Newcastle 2022

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Donna Spillane, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

TylerJamesson likes this.
  2. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - ocean front would be lovely ... until it's not!

4. TylerJamesson

Have a friend that is looking to do a new custom build in the inner city from SDA. Around 200sqm - 220sqm home internal. Nothing super high end with natural stone, high-end materials or 3m ceilings.

Most building quotes hes getting back are between $1.2 to $1.3m ie over $5000 per sqm internal

Welcome to new home building in 2022

Guess it explains why newly built high-end places coming onto market cost what they do.

Jobin and Lizzie like this.
  5. No_Limits

No_Limits Well-Known Member

6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I was discussing this on the sidelines of the netball courts on the weekend - you'd never be able to park out the front of your own house, but it is an easy stroll to the playing fields/netball/basketball courts.

It seems like an appropriate price - there are some negatives to the location (dr surgery on one side, apartments 2 over on the other, busy location - that intersection near coles sucks!), but nice enough place.

No_Limits and Jobin like this.
  7. TylerJamesson

The proximity to the city and convenience is pretty great I would say. Basically walk, cycle or catch light rail to everything you need. You cant have a house in the city and expect front door parking any more in my opinion. Too many CBD workers parking during the day. Its not Maryland or Fletcher.

You take the convenience and hustle + bustle along with having everything at your fingertips. Personally much prefer to be within walking distance to everything over living in the 'burbs' or backstreets of Merewether.

Lizzie, tomlemke and inertia like this.
  8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Reasonable price for the location and condition. To me, would need a bit of work .. pity they spent so much an ordinary reno that would need to be redone.

Layout is odd and pokey ... wonder what the floors are like under that carpet ... tatty old wardrobes .. bathroom miles from bedrooms ... good sized yard and needs decent landscaping

It really annoys me when people do a so so reno that doesn't compliment the house or current lifestyles. Save your money, sell for that much cheaper and let someone else do a decent job. With a proper layout reno etc etc, would be worth mid 2's

No_Limits, TylerJamesson and Islay like this.
  10. J+J.N

J+J.N New Member

Hi all.

Seeking an investment-savvy mortgage broker in the Newy area. But of course in this day and age doesn't need to be Newy based so please send any good recommendations you might have

TIA

11. Micko

Micko Well-Known Member

How are the open houses and auctions in Newy going @tomlemke ? Is there any suburbs slowing up yet? I chucked in a couple of low ball offers the other day but no takers yet. Maybe when rates go up a bit more, people may start accepting some low ballers :)

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I always ASAP financial - Rolf Latham ... he's on this forum. No idea where he lives but he does a brilliant job

Have never met my conveyancer in person either

J+J.N likes this.
  13. TylerJamesson

This place was featured in the Newcastle Herald this Saturday and sold before the article came out. The first open over the long weekend was PACKED.

No doubt very unique high end architecture for the location. Not surprised by it selling for $1.85m in Maryville on 230sqm in this market. Well maybe just a little surprised LOL

https://www.realestateview.com.au/news/nsw/iceberg-house-for-sale-in-maryville/

Lizzie likes this.
  14. edg

edg Member

15. No_Limits

No. Admittedly my opinion is entirely uninformed, other than such projects have come up at every election in the past 40 years. Unless we do one (or both) of A) Monetize the heck out of the land by building new towns at stops along the way and turning it into an enormous resi project B) Transplant a Chinese worker city out here to build it, then it is entirely unaffordable.

In mega-countries you build it, charge people $100 a ticket and it pays for itself. Don't work for a town of 400k people (Newy).

edg and Lizzie like this.
  16. igor1234

igor1234 Well-Known Member

I remember hearing about it when i moved to sydney in 2013..... still waiting.

TylerJamesson and edg like this.
  17. edg

edg Member

confirmed $1B in committed funding - $500m each from state and federal govt. New PM is a fan of fast rail. Let's see how it goes.

18. No_Limits

When I was a young kid in Newcastle in the 80's, it was the 'XPT', Australia's bullet train, going to change everything...work commute to Sydney solved..

19. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

I am seeing more of “contact agent” for sold prices. 6 months from now will be good time or at least may become more certain with market direction

Lizzie likes this.
  20. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member