NSW Newcastle 2021

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tomlemke, 11th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jobin

Jobin Well-Known Member

And you've ruined it for me.

2. Arcticfire

Arcticfire Well-Known Member

allanh likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2021
  4. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Very possibly - I was thinking that similar units are going for around the $5-55000k ... so x6, with bulk discount, is the 3 mil. But that might just be me being optimistic :D

6. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

8 in total, 6x2 beds and 2x1 beds

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ah yes - my bad - skimmed it as not in my range, so yes, closer to high $3

8. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

Crazy house price party might be coming to an end soon. Welcome APRA and macro predential borrowing limits just like 2018/19 when the money dried up.

Josh Frydenberg flags crackdown on home loans

Frydenberg signals home loan crackdown

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has given backing to regulators to crack down on high-debt home loans to reduce financial risks from record-low interest rates and surging property prices.

Financial regulators are working on plans to potentially clamp down on a jump in high debt-to-income ratios among new borrowers, a trend exacerbated by ultra-low mortgage rates enabling home buyers to borrow larger amounts.

More than one in five home buyers are now borrowing more than six times their incomes, a risk that could be felt if interest rates jump or people lose their jobs.

The number of new residential mortgage loans where debt is at least six times greater than income jumped to 22 per cent of new loans in the June quarter, from 16 per cent a year earlier, according data from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.

While regulators will not target house prices or affordability, debt-to-income is a key benchmark they are scrutinising and could apply so-called “macro-prudential” tools to.

Mr Frydenberg told the The Australian Financial Review that low interest rates had contributed to strong growth in housing markets in Australia and overseas.

“A positive feature of this housing cycle compared to that of the last is a higher proportion of first home buyers and owner occupiers entering the market,” he said.

“With Australia’s economy well positioned to strongly recover as restrictions ease, it is important to continually assess the appropriateness of our macro-prudential settings.

“We must be mindful of the balance between credit and income growth to prevent the build-up of future risks in the financial system.

“Lending standards should be monitored closely, and macro-prudential measures should be employed to address incipient risks.

“Options include increasing interest serviceability buffers and instituting portfolio restrictions on debt-to-income and loan-to-value ratios.”

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2021
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hope so. Prices have gotten ridiculous, even for a seasoned property owner (and holder) like myself

Agent emailed to advise they listed the knockdown at 212 Dunbar St Stockton for $1.15 ... nearly fell of my chair. Granted, one could go double story and gain ocean views, until the corresponding houses on Mitchell decided to do the same and views would be lost again

TylerJamesson likes this.
  10. TylerJamesson

Agree Lizzie. Seems that macroprudential is the main tool they can deploy for the banks to rein in lending and growing risky loans.

It might take quite a few buyers out of the market due to inability to get finance... thats what happened in early 2018 anyway with APRA changing gears and lasted up until after the 2019 election when Bill Shorten wanted to kill negative gearing and change capital gains tax rules etc etc

Lizzie likes this.
  11. PriSur

PriSur New Member

12. TylerJamesson

Well didnt take very long APRA to step in and clamping down on the banks... news out today

In a letter to banks today, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) has increased the minimum interest rate buffer on home loan applications from 2.5 to 3 percentage points.

It estimates it will LOWER the "maximum borrowing capacity for the typical borrower by 5 per cent.”

APRA tightens home loan rules, raises interest rate benchmark

Damien Pigott likes this.
  13. Finds

Finds Well-Known Member

14. The Prestige

The Prestige Well-Known Member

That is crazy money for that...Well at this point in time.

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We can cry together ... my regret sells include Cooks Hill for $180k (20 years ago) - Merewether 5/3/2 with ocean views for $1.25m (10 years ago) ... my regret not buyings were 2x 2/1/1 renting for $140/wk units in Dent St, Merewether for $100k (20 years ago but had the money)

As long as we learn - some of us take longer than others - or, at least, pass the lesson on

Tom87 and inertia like this.
  16. TylerJamesson

Looks like the housing price party might be coming to an end? Although might take a few months for the current bunch of buyers with existing pre-approvals to find an home and purchase. After they're gone, will the buyer pool dry up as it did in mid-2018 due to inability to secure finance, or owner-occupiers buyers can still get finance but borrowing capacity is 5% less?

APRA forces banks to raise housing assessment rates to counter risks

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it - we reckon we've got one more build in us ... and wouldn't mind picking up another investment before pulling stumps

TylerJamesson and inertia like this.
  18. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Pretty crazy. Doubt few saw 2 bedders in Mayfield as being a good investment pre-pandemic.

The Prestige likes this.
  19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I'll hopefully be looking at PPOR replacements in the not-too-distant future, so works for me :)

TylerJamesson and Lizzie like this.
  20. Wei Xie

Wei Xie New Member

I saw some, and thought they are crazy too, but your search is more surprised, for example:

36 Summit Street, North Lambton, NSW 2299 - Property Details (realestate.com.au)
    2 Gunambi Street, Wallsend, NSW 2287 - Property Details (realestate.com.au)

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia