NSW Newcastle 2021

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tomlemke, 11th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. PPOOR

PPOOR Active Member

I'd personally prefer a crappy shack in the warmer weather than a palace in Geelong... but yeah for continued capital growth you'd think there needs to be jobs with higher incomes to service the higher loans. Not sure proportionally how many high paying jobs there are in Newy compared to the bigger capitals... a friend who is a manager at Newcastle Council said they struggle to fill positions as many people from Sydney who fancy a sea change are interested until they find out how much lower the pay is than Sydney and there's often no company car either, so a number of them instead keep their higher paying jobs in Sydney and buy in Woy Woy and surrounds instead.

Did you consider a place commutible distance from Brisbane?

TylerJamesson and inertia like this.
  2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I said the same thing to myself when I was renting in Maryville after I finished uni (~2001) and a place sold for $200k. "No way would I pay that in MARYVILLE!!!!"

But to be fair, yeah, it has gone nuts of late. Lots of Sydney money - someone quoted a stat (was it on here or IRL?) about the migration number from Syd to Newie are up over 20% on 2019. I think Sydney money, or someone selling and buying in the same market are driving/maintaining prices. I would expect them to soften and plateau (soon I hope!) but I am not sure they will drop any time soon if at all.

PPOOR likes this.
  3. bonchovies

bonchovies Well-Known Member

The other one we looked at just sold. It quoted 670-730k and sold for 951k :eek:
    32 Knight Street, New Lambton

4. Finds

Finds Well-Known Member

Yeah, that one was another huge turnout, that was never going for anywhere close to that guide.

What are people's thoughts on how this recent lockdown will impact the Newcastle market in the short term?

It seems that the stock is low, there are still plenty of buyers out there, and surely the lockdowns are adding more fuel to the fire to potentially get out of the lockdown zone of Sydney to a place offering a great lifestyle that is still commutable? When this Sydney lockdown ends could there be another spike in demand?

I am on the Central Coast and I cannot wait to get out of this greater Sydney area to Newcastle. I see it as another reason to make the move, but I have been planning to move regardless. So I wonder if others who weren't thinking about it might entertain the idea in the future.

5. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

I think we may see a spike in enquiry from Sydney once the LD ends, whenever that is.

But I don't think we'll see a spike until the lockdown ends and people are fed up and want to get out of Sydney, which is pretty much what happened to Melbourne post lockdown.

Lets see what happens come spring.

6. inertia

TylerJamesson likes this.
  7. TylerJamesson

I think around $3m is pretty close to the mark. Its a massive house and a massive flat block of land for the location.

Amazes me that people are asking $3.5m+ for old places in New Lambton while this place on Everton Street is $2.95m, same size block, close to town and walk to cafes, transport.

tomlemke, inertia and Finds like this.
  8. Finds

Finds Well-Known Member

9. inertia

That one I can understand the price, and would have thought it would be snapped up by now.

The Everton St property I think is a bit over-done (not the house itself, but all the garage/poolhouse/undercover desk) - doesn't leave much for personalisation without knocking down structures.

10. PPOOR

PPOOR Active Member

That's true! I have heard of stories of people who have moved from Melb to regional Vic already now wanting to return, as 1) they are too far from friends/services, 2) they are sick of commuting even if only 1-2 days 3) the prices in regional Vic are now not much cheaper than Melb anyway. So I think the longer term picture will be super interesting, as in will Covid permanently change the regions or will suburban life return as normal in 2-3 years...

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

TylerJamesson and inertia like this.
  12. TylerJamesson

Hi @Lizzie

So much for Hamilton not booming and still lagging behind Wickham and Maryville. Brick Federation homes look to be in hot demand.

Seems to be pretty close price wise to Hamilton South, Cooks Hill, outer Merewether if we go by the recent sales/listing and per sqm basis.

63 Chatham Road Hamilton - https://www.domain.com.au/63-chatham-road-hamilton-nsw-2303-2017131098

139 Everton Street Hamilton sold for $2.0m >> https://www.domain.com.au/139-everton-street-hamilton-nsw-2303-2017079904

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2021
    SlothyDem, bonchovies and Lizzie like this.
  13. allanh

allanh Well-Known Member

I am looking at investment properties in Newcastle. Just wondering what do people think about Waratah? Good capital growth potential?

14. TylerJamesson

Wowzers -- 63 Chatham Road Hamilton sold in one day!! :rolleyes:

$2.05m

https://www.domain.com.au/63-chatham-road-hamilton-nsw-2303-2017131098

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2021
    SlothyDem and tomlemke like this.
  15. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

46% Capital Growth in last 5 years. There would be suburbs with better capital growth potential in Newcastle but will still do well over the long term in my opinion.

What’s your budget?

SlothyDem likes this.
  16. allanh

allanh Well-Known Member

Thanks for your insight.
    I actually bought recently, but want to see what everyone thinks about this location :)

SlothyDem and Shamrock1 like this.
  17. SlothyDem

SlothyDem New Member

What's suburbs would you be looking at with $1 to $1.5M budget @Shamrock1?

18. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

PPOOR likes this.
  19. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

With $1-$1.5M I’d be buying a decent sized block in the middle ring suburbs Lambton, New Lambton, Georgetown, Hamilton or Adamstown.

Tom87 and Finds like this.
  20. Finds

Finds Well-Known Member

Shamrock1 likes this.