NSW Newcastle 2021

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tomlemke, 11th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. PPOOR

PPOOR Active Member

Has anyone got experience of adding an extra bedroom +/- a bathroom to a miner's cottage in Newy? I know there's many variables, but what kind of price range would you allocate (assuming single story, just extending into backyard - basic design)? Any businesses you'd recommend?

Jobin likes this.
  2. PBrownless

PBrownless New Member

Thanks mate appreciate that, anywhere else you'd suggest looking that has a similar feel and is a similar distance from the city?

3. Will146

Will146 Member

Kotara is also a nice suburb. Good public transport links & 10min drive to the CBD. I would stick to the triangle in between Westfield across to Clayton Cres & back to Vista Pde as everything in this area is within easy walking distance.

Gwennie and PBrownless like this.
  4. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

Some interesting data from RealEstate.com.au on property valuations and trends...

I think we'll see that the biggest per sqm $$$ growth will happen around Newcastle's dense suburbs close to the inner city and amenities.

The Cost Of Space As Aussie Buyers Crave Bigger Homes Post-COVID

Smaller inner-city blocks the most expensive

Inner-city Sydney suburbs with small blocks tend to cost the most per square metre, not necessarily homes in expensive prestige suburbs, according to the analysis.

“In general, gentrified, inner-city regions that have long histories and small block sizes tend to cost the most per square metre of land,” Mr Ryan said.

He said the most expensive places in Sydney by cost per square metre had median plot sizes between 100 and 200sqm.

Homebuyers pay a massive $23,240 per square metre for a house in the most expensive suburb on the Sydney list, Paddington, where the median plot size is only 127sqm. In Darlinghurst it costs $19,682 per square metre with a median 105sqm block.

Mr Ryan said they were working-class suburbs when initially developed with small blocks.

“Paddington and Darlinghurst are very gentrified, nice suburbs, but it shows you the influence of the underlying structure of how the city was developed,” he said.

“These formerly working-class suburbs are now very expensive on a per square metre basis.”

tomlemke and PPOOR like this.
  5. PPOOR

PPOOR Active Member

@tomlemke Any idea what 22 Collins St, Georgetown sold for? I missed the auction, but looks like it got passed in (not sure at what price) and then sold by negotiation...

6. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi @PPOOR somewhere between $1m - $1.1m. Just check the backend filter.

TylerJamesson and PPOOR like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Am I feeling this right ... is Newie slowing? Well priced and quality is still selling well but notice properties are sitting longer

PPOOR likes this.
  8. bonchovies

bonchovies Well-Known Member

That's what I've been thinking too - but not sure whether it's because more are taking it to auction?

9. TylerJamesson

Seems like a typical winter market slow down IMO weekend sport, cold weather and all that coupled with Sydney lockdown. It was a buying frenzy from Jan to about May.

See what happens come Aug/Sept.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Birdseed

Birdseed Well-Known Member

Initially passed in at $1.2M I heard - that was ambitious

11. Jobin

Jobin Well-Known Member

Also looking to do this in Cooks Hill - new kitchen, add downstairs bathroom, extension into back courtyard + garage/carport right at the back. Have had some good recommendations from @TylerJamesson on the higher-end of things. Would be good to get some recommendations for lower budget too as we're likely converting this to an IP in 3-5 years.

TylerJamesson and PPOOR like this.
  12. PPOOR

PPOOR Active Member

Attached Files:

Seemah, TylerJamesson and bonchovies like this.
  13. bonchovies

My husband went to 2 open homes a few weeks ago and he said the queue went all the way down the road. One house is going to auction and the other went under offer on Monday after first open. So unsure whether to think it's slowing given the interest in the two we saw but they were both underpriced imo. Online it seems like it's slowing with houses taking longer to go under offer.

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2021
  14. Finds

Finds Well-Known Member

Anything (under)quoted in the 600's are getting massive turnouts. I would imagine one of the properties you are referring to is this one at Waratah ?

https://www.domain.com.au/14-delando-street-waratah-nsw-2298-2017092971

That was chaotic and the day of Sydney and Greater Sydney going into lockdown, but that was a huge turnout, biggest I have seen, not sure how the last 2 weekends have been though.

That price point and the guides in that sub-700 range are always queued down the street in suburbs like Mayfield and Waratah I notice, but none ever sell in that range.

Lizzie and bonchovies like this.
  15. bonchovies

Yep that was one of them. I agree it's gonna sell for a lot more come auction day.

16. TylerJamesson

What is most interesting about this article is that people are paying $10,000-$14,000 per sqm internal for apartments at the new East End development which is stunning -- is that about right @tomlemke ??

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Tom87 and PPOOR like this.
  18. Gwennie

Gwennie Member

We looked at Newcastle as priced out of Sydney. Both of us work primarily remotely but go into the office once a week so 2.5-3hours train trip is Ok. Found that we just couldn't justify spending $1M on a house that feels like it's only worth 800-850. Rentals on a $1M only in the $500-$600 range means if we had to rent it out it's just not viable, and not a lot of job opportunities there versus Sydney or other main cities. No idea really whether the overspending on a property in Newcastle now will be worth it in 5 years so we are looking in other places, with that sort of travel time you can fly from Avondale airport with Jetstar for $34 each way and get a much better place in Geelong that also opens up more jobs in Melbourne if needed. Not sure if others are thinking the same way?

TylerJamesson and Lizzie like this.
  19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yeah, but you'd have to live in Geelong ;)

I think fundamentally, Newcastle is a VERY liveable city, and the property price growth is reflecting that many others think that too.

TylerJamesson and Lizzie like this.
  20. Gwennie

Gwennie Member

Newcastle is a very livable city - we love it and were excited about the idea of living there. But for us anyway, it didn't feel the costs were justified on many of the places we saw, it felt like people were just thinking oh lots of buyers fed up with searching and are overpaying heaps!l lets get rid of our shack that's half falling down!! and well that seemed insane what they were asking for compared to job opportunities and future rental potential. But who knows? I"ll probably kick myself in 5 years when I see how much its grown and think - twit! why didn't you buy that crappy shack!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia