NSW Newcastle 2020

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by samiam, 1st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gwynneth

Gwynneth Well-Known Member

2. Gwynneth

Thank you! Will definitely take note of these things!

3. Gwynneth

I kind of agree with this. I am seeing several new townhouses/developments. There is also some money being spent on renovating houses! The vibe is now different in the areas closer to the cbd.

TylerJamesson likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Looks like that could be split straight down the middle for a torrens title subdivision with approved plans.

samiam and Gwynneth like this.
  5. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

"There is also some money being spent on renovating houses! The vibe is now different in the areas closer to the cbd."

Agree with this. The WFH trend is real and seems to be here to stay.

If you're looking to cash out of Sydney and move to Newcastle and continue working from home, then you'd be looking for high end homes, with a home office space, top finishes, walk to shops, 10m trip to the beaches and parks.

Cooks Hill, Newcastle East, Hamilton, Junction, Hamilton South, Tighes Hill, Maryville, Wickham, Bar Beach, Merewether.

fols, Gwynneth and Lizzie like this.
  6. Archaon

What is WFH, I've heard HNWI.

7. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

WFH = work from home :)

Archaon likes this.
  8. Archaon

Cheers for that!

9. Gwynneth

Hi! Just a question. For the same amount would you buy a big block (500-600 sqm) 25 minutes away from Newcastle CBD or a smaller block around 350sqm (free standing house) 10 minutes away? Thanks.

10. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

for me that would depend on exactly where those 2 blocks are. As a general rule I prefer closer to the CBD BUT......

tomlemke likes this.
  11. Gwynneth

Thanks Islay. This is Wallsend vs Lambton for example..

I’m currently zeroing in on the following markets:

Wallsend
    Cardiff
    Mayfield
    Lambton

Anything neutral sub500k is ideal. I think it’s a bit tough but opportunities are there for those requiring cosmetic reno or buying a smaller block... Thoughts from anyone?

Also, what are people’s thoughts on the Supply/Demand suburb profile in Realestate.com.au website? Is it an accurate representation of the demand in a suburb? I dont have any rpdata subscription or anything like that so I only rely on info I can google (sqmresearch, houseksou.cn, onthehouse, homely, propertyvalue, domain, realestate, etc)... See attached sample below. ☺️

Attached Files:

12. Gwynneth

I notice Cardiff is within the Lake Macquarie LGA but looks like it has good distance from both Newcastle and Warners Bay/Eleebana... Im not familiar with this area though (and any other outer suburbs actually) as I’ve only been to Newcastle beaches/cbd. Then Westfield Kotara and Islington as the furthest places from there...

13. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Hi Gwynneth,

Cardiff isn't a bad spot, I just had a look around the suburbs you have mentioned.
    This was probably the only house that i thought looked decent in your price range.
    It hasn't got any open times booked so it may of sold already.
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-elermore+vale-133934674

TylerJamesson, Archaon and Gwynneth like this.
  14. Gwynneth

thanks @tomlemke ! Really helpful! Just waiting for our finances to be sorted.. it is taking a longer time now as more scrutiny is being done. I guess things have changed with the bank’s assessments/lending criteria.

TylerJamesson likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I just clicked on the link out of curiosity (not in the market atm) - and it's under offer. The market is still going strong in Newcastle so you have to be quick for anything that is a bargain

tomlemke likes this.
  16. Gwynneth

wow that was fast. Seems not a lot of stock at the moment too

17. Gwynneth

I’m starting to check Lake Macquarie as we might be priced out of Newcastle following the weeks ahead.
    I checked Lake Macquarie suburbs such as Edgeworth. What are people’s thoughts on Edgeworth? Are there lots of land out there? There are some cheap properties that can give neutral cash flow. I saw the Brush Creeks Estate from realestate (i’m not buying from there) but will this mean anything to the capital growth of the area? Is Edgeworth demographics similar to Woodrising/Marmong Point?

Gateshead and Cardiff look to be good but unfortunately looks expensive now and not much stock. There is one on sale at Cardiff for auction next week but we are still waiting for our broker

This might be the wrong thread to ask but I’m considering Lake Macquarie that are still within 30mins to Newcastle.

18. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Edgy is a blue collar suburb. Plenty of decent families, FHB looking for a do-upper rather than brand new H&L. Is surrounded by estates which has helped raise the profile of the area. Some pockets to avoid like anywhere but well served infrastructure wise. Getting better as more people move West. Probably better demographic than Woodrising. More laborers than junkies. Just my 2c.

Gwynneth and Islay like this.
  19. Birdseed

Birdseed Well-Known Member

Hi Gwyneth,

Do you have any upcoming opportunities to get boots on the ground in Newie? Whilst a lot of internet & map based research is a good place to start - in my opinion driving around and seeing areas in person is more beneficial in the Newcastle region relative to other large regionals & capital cities.

A lot of the price variance that may not may make sense suburb vs suburb (or even street vs street) is more easily explained with local research rather than a map - I can think of some seriously variable topography, a spread of housing commission rather than concentrated ghettos, and unequal access to road and public transport connections as some of the reasons why things aren’t quite as they seem on a map or on realestate.com.

Full disclosure - I’ve just landed a job in Newie and will be making the move up from Sydney. I’ll be in the market for a PPOR and will have plenty of questions myself on here in the coming months! But I’m spending as much time on the ground as I can up there to deepen my understanding of the market.

20. Birdseed

Birdseed Well-Known Member

I would also be keen on Newie local meetups in future, if they happen? (in person or virtually - who knows where Covid will take us). I’ve followed this particular thread for a long time - plenty of wise people in here!