NSW Newcastle 2019

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Aaron Duffie, 14th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Prestige

The Prestige Well-Known Member

Went to about 7 opens on Saturday in Hamilton and Broadmeadow. Not many people at any of them.

2. The Prestige

The Prestige Well-Known Member

3. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

That's still up there in price. Has it come back at all?

4. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Btw, when a Domain add says that a property is archived does it mean that it's temporarily off the market because I saw a few of those in Lake Macquarie and Newcastle just last week.

5. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

6. Jazcat

Jazcat Member

Looking to buy a 3 bedroom in Newcastle as close to the city as possible any suburb recommendations ?
    I plan on renting it out for 10-15 years and then moving in when I have had enough of the Sydney life .

Max $500,000

7. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

This would be the best bet but I think it may go above
    35 Delauret Square, Waratah West, NSW 2298

And this one
    19 Young Street, Carrington, NSW 2294

Abit above your budget I would personally go for this one for a life style location
    5 Barford Street, Speers Point, NSW 2284

8. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

I like this one. Bit further out but a Nice big block of land for the lower end price. We always have no problem finding good tenants for that area for our house too. Kitchen is a shocker though .

You could do something with it in the future. I dont like the idea of buying something with the thought of living in it 15 years later as Newcastle will change alot in the next 15 years. I would buy a good investment to make you money to be able to afford where you want to live. 9 Jamieson Street, Gateshead, NSW 2290

Disclaimer.....I am no expert

larrylarry likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Lotta buyers with some cash moving in. We bought not long ago as realised it's about to explode to become the "Balmain" of Newcastle.

Anything decent, nearish the town and beach end, looking at over $700k.

Local agent told me that 6/10 sales were deceased estates ... so the old rusted on's are "moving on" and the downsizers with cash are moving in ... and there are very grand plans for the foreshore in the pipeline

10. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

I would have said Stockton has been a great performer over the last 5 years and is now cooling?

I have a property in lemon tree passage which has also experienced steady growth for the last 5 years but I would expect this to slow down shortly also.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agreed - and we were very lucky to strike an opportunity to buy $50-100k under asking price due to knowing the vendor's situation (elderly and had found a home to move to) and able to settle quickly/pay cash.

I would say it's stablising, like the rest of Newcastle, but don't underestimate where it will head in the next 5 years as it rapidly gentrifies but retains it's community/heritage charm on large-ish blocks of land.

Fab location as everywhere is literally max 10 mins walk to beach/ferry (cbd/tram) - it has all the required amenities and more are moving in every day (supermarket/doctor/butcher/vet/chemist/newsagent etc) - numerous cafes are springing up - plans are in place to revamp and extend the ferry terminal - plans are being submitted for an "over the water" restaurant similar to Scratchley's - ferry is looking at add stops to route (Honeysuckle, Wickham). 10 minutes drive to the "now" international airport. 15 minutes to JHH.

krispy likes this.
  12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

My confidence in Newcastle remains strong.

Lizzie and krispy like this.
  13. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

CG in
    2014 was +13%
    2015 was +6.2%
    2016 was +14.0%
    2017 was +14.8%
    2018 was +2.0%
    I suppose you might call 2018 "cooling" but still going up, though the rate of growth is certainly slowing, following Sydney, as expected.

krispy likes this.
  14. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

@Lizzie can you stop telling everyone the secret!

krispy likes this.
  15. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

16. Propertunity

Wow that was short-lived. Did they have an operational Customs & Immigration set up there too? For just 13 weeks according to Dr ****?

I did not ***** the man's name, what gives?

17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

They renovated the airport about 3-4 years ago to be able to cater for international flights. They didnt get any until late last year, and it only lasted 13 weeks....

Cheers,
    Inertia

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... exactly as planned.

The flights were only pencilled in to be over the 3 months of Christmas- peak season - and they will repeat it next year. It was more a test to see if there was demand (and there was) so now there are plans to expand to include Asia, probably Japan or Thailand

Destinations

And the international section of the airport was only opened late 2017 ... so barely 12 months before the first flight. By the time we move into our property (2+ years), and are ready to travel, who knows what might be on the cards

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2019
  19. Afty

Afty Member

Hi.
    I bought land in Cliftleigh Meadows estate. Any idea about the growth? Plan is to build and rent it out. Still looking for home builder. I am open for suggestions or ideas. Thanks

20. Propertunity

Has experienced poor growth. Don't expect that to change anytime soon - almost unlimited supply of land and pretty far away from anywhere. Headings in the table below for vacant land: year, number of sales, median price, growth%

upload_2019-2-21_9-6-2.png

Try any one of a number of project home builders that have not gone broke yet (there have been a few lately)

wilso8948 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.