NSW Newcastle 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tomlemke, 26th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Really? Or are you just poking the bear :)

2. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

Micko likes this.
  3. Whale_monkey

Whale_monkey Active Member

Hopefully they restore the old house and the tennis court and not break up the block. I had my eye on it with my lotto winnings that never crane.

Micko likes this.
  4. AYK

AYK Member

Help please! :)

My son and his wife are moving to Newcastle in early 2019 for two years. They will probably be working at the John Hunter Hospital. They have sufficient cash and borrowing capacity to buy a house costing $1m (max). They plan to convert the house into an investment property when they leave.

1. Which suburbs in the vicinity of the hospital have the best long term capital growth?
    2. Could you please recommend a really good buyer’s agent?

I have shortlisted the following suburbs:
    • Adamstown
    • New Lambton
    • Broadmeadow.

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Hi @AYK the suburbs you have shortlisted have experienced the highest capital growth thru to the lowest, over the last 15 years.

upload_2018-9-6_8-51-23.png

In the past many people wanting to live close to the hospital precinct chose New Lambton Heights, however, now it is packed up hill and down dale, with the cars of hospital workers who cannot park in the hospital carpark :(

Kotara or Adamstown Hts are not bad options either.

6. Will146

Will146 Member

Hi @AYK.
    I would second Kotara / Adamstown Heights as great suburbs. The only trouble with Kotara especially is that it tends to be a tight kept suburb so when good properties do come up for sale I have found they always go for well over asking price, even in the current climate.

7. AYK

AYK Member

Many thanks Alan and @Will146. I will check out Kotara and Adamstown Heights.

We are a bit biased for New Lambton – this is because my son and his wife are thinking of enrolling their kids at St Theresa Primary School and Blinkies Early Education Centre –both in New Lambton. But some of the houses on sale seem over–priced. What are the bad areas in that suburb?

8. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Just a tip, although you may have already thought of it. Check that there is available space at the school. I do know enrolments at another school in close proximity are closed even if siblings already attend; little Catholic schools around here are very sought-after.

9. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Wouldnt spend 1mill in ANY suburb of newcastle for a Ip let alone these three. Save some cash and look to spend around 750k which should get you a nice house with nothing to do and a good sized block of ground.

All three are good, new lambton the nicest with a lots of old cute renovated houses and young families moving in. The main street is getting renewed and its highlt sought after.

Adamstown and broadmeadow are very old suburbs but not as a good of feel to it as new lambton. Also they are changing dramatically with lots of apartment building s and townhouses going up.

+1 for new lambton.

Zeehan and Lizzie like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I would go Hamilton over Adamstown and Broadmeadow ...

inertia and Islay like this.
  11. lightbulbmoment

Hamo is a real mixed bag bit of everything going on there.

Zeehan likes this.
  12. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Hamilton or even the better parts of Tighes Hill for IP and growth over Adamstown and Broadmeadow.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of Cardiff and Cardiff Heights?

14. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Terrible shopping centre, very little car parking - think about Warners Bay area. 10 mins from John Hunter, Eleebana and Valentine very nice homes, 15 mins to hospital and all with access to the lake foreshores ...
    Warners Bay Primary, St Mary's Catholic, Warners Bay High School close proximity.

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2018
  15. AYK

AYK Member

Thanks for the heads up @Zeehan regarding catholic schools. I will hassle them to enrol quickly.

Thanks all for other suggestions@lightbulbmoment @Lizzie @Islay. I will also check out Tighes Hill and Hamilton.

Even though they aim to buy a property <$1m, they really want to buy something cheaper. $1m would possibly exhaust their cash savings after allowing for 8% transaction costs including buyer’s agent fees; not leaving much in their offset account. :(

Islay likes this.
  16. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

There will be no need to spend anywhere near $1m. Especially if they are going to convert it to a rental when they leave after only 2 years

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Valentine is nice (the lake side) but it is suburban in feel and culture. What lifestyle are they after? Cosmopolitan (coffee, art galleries, farmers markets) or mum and dad suburbs (lawnmowers, beer and bbq, shopping centre)?

18. Whale_monkey

Whale_monkey Active Member

The great thing about where the hospital is located is there is a really wide ring of suburbs only 10-15 mins drive to there. We have spent a bit of time there recently and trips from merewether average about 13 mins. You don’t need to limit yourselves to the suburbs directly surrounding the hospital.

New Lambton has some really nice streets and old houses... the old houses are probably not well suited as IPs but it would be a nice area to live for sure. There’s quite a lot of townhouses and duplexes that I imagine you’d get for well under $1m and would be more suited to being IPs. The high street there seems to have really come along in the last few years with a number of decent cafes there now. Unfortunately the Wests Leagues monstrosity looms over so i’d Be looking at the north side of the Main Street between New Lambton and blackbutt shops rather the Lambton side.

inertia likes this.
  19. lightbulbmoment

Have a quick think about what wests has provided for the newcastle community over the years eg jobs, accomodation, sports,. All of these great things funded through poker machines

Zeehan likes this.
  20. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Oh the usual, - check for flooding and proximity to housing commission as a start.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia