NSW Newcastle 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tomlemke, 26th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

"Luckily I have a trade background and can 'sell it myself' otherwise it wouldn't stack up."

I think the above noted you quite special @tomlemke :) most punters don't have these skills in their back pocket. And for the folks that don't know what they're doing, or don't have access to cheap trades people these budgets can quite easily blow out.

I still think it's a heap of work, risk and potential heartache for $50,000. Like picking up pennies in front of a steamroller.

On the flip side, you could hypothetically invest in CBA shares today paying a 6%+ fully franked dividend + some share price growth. All you would pay is for the brokerage and then sit back and watch the footy.

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2018
    fols and Ben_j like this.
  2. Whale_monkey

Whale_monkey Active Member

I tend to agree with you Tyler. What is in Tom’s Favour though is leverage. Assuming he has 20% deposit to avoid LMI he’s stumping up under $200k total for $50k return. That’s 25% which anyone would take.

But the risk is super high... I personally think that type of return is probably on par with the risk taken. The market has topped, a 20-30k drop in prices could happen tomorrow and is immaterial in the grand scheme of things but would wipe out much of the profit for a short term flipper. Other things to weigh up are structural surprises once the Reno starts (blowing out costs) and the Reno/sale time blowing out increasing holding costs.

3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

It's sold now 700k. Not bad for 1000msq, 20metre frontage. Wonder how many townhouses would fit in @TylerJamesson

4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

the drone shot shows a place a couple of doors up with the original house (with a small yard) and 3 townhouses...

Wow. The place 2 doors up was sold for $585k in April this year, after being on the market for 285 days. Cant see what price the developed townhouse(s) went for...

Cheers,
    Inertia.

5. TylerJamesson

Would fit x3 -- 3 bedroom units pretty easy

samiam likes this.
  6. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

thought would fit more - but if they can retain the front house, numbers are not bad.

7. TylerJamesson

From what I can see, things are slowing still. Less buyers with credit in the market, taking longer to get finance approval. Buyers have more negotiating power. Not looking fab for selling anything over between $1m - $2m in Newcastle.

Even Merewether properties aren't moving for the crazy prices they were back in late 2016/2017

Last edited: 6th Aug, 2018
  8. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

TylerJamesson likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We just signed up for two off the plan townhouses. Last two in development and developer just wanted thm sold. Paid $40k less the next cheapest, including ducted air and timber floor upgrades. Market is stalling so is turning into a buyers market if u have cash. Will invest the cash for nxt 10 months while being built.

Last edited: 9th Aug, 2018
    TylerJamesson and Ben_j like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Was please to recently get the new farm/house build valued - and with Merewether potentially stagnating for a few years - might just be able to buy back in :D

11. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Congratulations !

12. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's a property that's on 4 titles (from memory), so can be subdivided with very little hassle ... the house is on one complete title, and would be worth nearly 2mil by itself on the smaller block of land ... so good buy

14. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Would fit 6 units easily

samiam and TylerJamesson like this.
  15. lightbulbmoment

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As I said two posts up:

It's a property that's on 4 titles (from memory), so can be subdivided with very little hassle ... the house is on one complete title, and would be worth nearly 2mil by itself on the smaller block of land ... so good buy

17. lightbulbmoment

Cool story but im after alds opinion on this one ...

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You'll then need to link him in, so that he knows you've asked him the question - no idea how to do it myself

19. Micko

Micko Well-Known Member

Word on the ground was the buyers had the cash....so no loans needed. Hard to see them losing on it with a 1995m2 block in Merewether and no loan.

krispy likes this.
  20. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member