NSW Newcastle 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tomlemke, 26th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Calm down people i love darby raj and dumplings as much as everyone else.

inertia likes this.
  2. lightbulbmoment

I am looking forward to the extension. I dont mind throwing a pineapple in the pokes over some beers in the early hours.

Ben_j likes this.
  3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I dunno... The arguments against are not invalid. The location is a bit of an odd one, nestled amongst residential houses. Having said that, Merewether does suffer a bit from NIMBYism - I think they managed to block a McDonalds and an Aldi over the years.

I'd like to see more late night venues in general, but I personally prefer smaller venues, and I'm not a fan of clubs and pokies. That's just me though :)

Cheers,
    Inertia.

tomlemke and krispy like this.
  4. lightbulbmoment

This petition is classic nimbyism. Its B1 zoning and only affects residents who live within very close proximity.

5. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

If your unlucky enough to live within that circle you would have a different opinion.
    I'm not against people partying late, Souths is just not the right location for it.

krispy likes this.
  6. lightbulbmoment

Not worth an argument nimbyism is rife in newcastle.

7. Whale_monkey

Whale_monkey Active Member

I think it risks affecting more than just those in direct proximity when people leave late, can’t get a taxi and end up walking the streets. Yeah it won’t impact you if you’re in Adamstown but if you’re within a 500 metre radius different story. Save the late night venues for hamilton and the CBD where their is more traffic and higher police presence.

And below explains what B1 zoning is... difficult to say a venue open till 2am is needed under this zoning. The B1 zoning literally goes for 2 blocks to cover the Llewellyn st shops.

1 Objectives of zone
    • To provide a range of small-scale retail, business and community uses that serve the needs of people who live or work in the surrounding neighbourhood.
    • To encourage employment opportunities in accessible locations.
    • To create urban centres for safe and vibrant social, cultural, recreational and community activity.
    • To provide for shop top housing as part of mixed use developments.

PJ1 likes this.
  8. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

I guess you could make the argument that Souths is many ways similar to Wests in suburban New Lambton which trades 24 hours. Even the Prince of Wales is quite busy.

If you purchase a property close by to a commercial strip like that then I don’t think you can expect it to remain “as is” forevermore. Buyer beware.

9. lightbulbmoment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...9C14QFggdMAA&usg=AOvVaw1R0IEgCoVquBUW56MVJAj5

Comments section is always a good laugh when the herald puts up one of these articles of a high sale in a western suburb.

Here is the latest one i meant to post

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw268szFYNdB8ZU7tEFVJMd8

Three main themes.
    1. people who live in the suburb , thinks its great and will be millionaires in five years.
    2. People who bag the hell out of it call it a mcmansion swampland garbage tip.
    3. People genuinely asking where the suburb is.

Last edited: 11th Jun, 2018
  10. Aaron Duffie

Aaron Duffie Well-Known Member

Thoughts on capital growth prospects of Argenton?

11. lightbulbmoment

I have looked at it a few times as it has decent 700sqm blocks and is close to the lake but always thought it was one of those pasminco smelter affected areas .

12. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

The Argenton hotel has been closed for major renovations so this is a positive sign.
    Also the lower section of the new estate in Boolaroo is full steam ahead which could help pull up prices.

krispy likes this.
  13. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Still has a bit of local stigma with regards to junkies and bikies. Argy pub renovations look great. The blocks backing onto the golf course are starting to be developed. Very close to Glendale shops which have potential to be a major shopping hub. Decent transport potential as well. In my opinion it will feed off the uplift seen around the Western side of the lake.

krispy likes this.
  14. lightbulbmoment

You will do much better out of broadmedow then argy me thinks

wilso8948 and Propertunity like this.
  15. Chase71

Chase71 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any predictions on Stockton. Just curious as you never hear much about it.

16. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The locals think it is too far away ( 5 minute ferry ride or 20 min car trip over the bridge) as many remembering going there for family holidays when they were kids.
    Sydney buyers think it is great. It seems like every 2nd house is undergoing renovation.
    The leak from the Orica plant of hexavalent chromium over 70 homes in the suburb 7 years ago did not help. Orica fined over chemical spills and breaches in NSW

17. wilso8948

And this is exactly what Stockton residents want locals to think. Honestly the dual lane Kooragang Island extension will finish this month making it likely a 25 mins max trip into the CBD. Add to that the option for a 5 min ferry ride and no through traffic on the peninsula makes it an extremely desirable location. Residents there have a much better feel IMO to that of Merewether/bar beach etc. There is a genuine community with most of the riff raff long gone.

18. Chase71

Chase71 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for commenting on Stockton.

I am currently holding an IP there which I purchased 12 months ago and intend to keep for at least 8 years.
    Hopefully I will see some growth in that time.
    Thanks

19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think it still has the feel of a beach side village - will be interesting to see if that changes with more dollars coming in.

25min is a long trip by Newcastle standards :) But I'd prefer to live in Stockton than Fletcher...

I cant imagine something like this being popular with the locals though:
    The harbour pipedream that could change Newcastle

I'm sure the investors would be please!

Cheers,
    Inertia

20. wilso8948

Much more dual occs popping up lately. Many have the added appeal of rear lane access. Needs some commercial investment. Many small shops/cafes have come and gone over the years. Most through poor business planning and decision making.

Ahh yes but a 5 min ferry ride with no need to find a car spot in the ever fading CBD parking availability is a big plus.

That tunnel won't happen for decades. It took years to realise they needed dual lanes on Kooragang. But you are correct it wouldn't be popular with locals. Would change its whole feel.