Newby Intro - Purchasing Question.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KGR05, 5th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KGR05

KGR05 New Member

Hi All,

This forum is awesome and have learnt loads of information / processes through reading about various threads.
    Wouldn't have been able to purchase my first property without this forum helping me through the journey.
    ....long time reader first time poster....
    My name is Kieran, 23 y/o and working full-time.

I have just purchased a neglected house on a corner block (690m2) with development prospects. My plan with this house is to get it to a rentable state and rent it out.
    10 to 15 years down the track i want to develop or sell the land of as individual lots after subdividing and hopefully make money.

I write here not only to get involved in the forum a little more, but to ask for opinions on the following...

So, block 'A' is where I live and block 'B' with a 4x2 brick house has just been put on the market (corner block - 700m2). ***Attached is picture***
    My first thoughts: This would be great to purchase and in 10-15 years develop at the same time as block 'A', that of course if the price was right.
    Haven't put much more thought than that.

Has anyone ever done this and what were their experiences?
    What comes to your mind?
    Am I being to greedy?

Thanks for the read.

Attached Files:

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Of course not! You are forward planning. Developers do this all the time. Welcome to the forum Kieran.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Wanting to build wealth for a better life is never greedy. What you're talking about is land banking. Just keep in mind that in 15-20 years down the track, the development options for the land may possibly change. Sometimes for the better, though not always.

hobartchic likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check the potential advantage to having both blocks, to see if there are greater opportunities with them combined.

Meaning, if each block can be cut into two blocks, can the combined area be cut into 5 blocks?
    Or, is the number of townhouses or units allowed on the combined block greater than double the number that can be built on each block?

There is no right or wrong answer, just be sure to clarify the value of the adjoining property to you.
    Marg

5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I would think about doing something with the property you own first. Zoning can change quickly and make a property that is undeveloped worth almost nothing over time. Less likely to happen when a property is developed and utilized.

6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

welcome to PC @KGR05

if you are greedy, your are in the right place here. :cool:, aren't we all greedy on PC.

well done with your current pruchase.