Newbie investor - need advice

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Mara, 30th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mara

Mara Member

Hello Gurus,

I am a newbie in investing, just exploring states, suburb, etc to narrow down the hunt for my invest property.

Going through YouTube, websites, etc I understand few things that will determine the location.

1, Positive cash flow - rental income of 6.5% +
    2, Capital appreciation
    3, Property close to amenities, shopping, transport and schools, etc.

I am confused with the contradicting info on the web, few say Brisbane is good others says not to invest in Brisbane, Adelaide is better, etc..

I would like to ask you, how would you analyse the situation, what would you do?

Thanks all in advance!

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

currently all properties in Australia carry geo-political risk , they can be shut down almost instantly be 'virus concerns ' are isolated from key services

so you will have to determine the possibility of tenants being unable to pay rent in a timely manner

cheers

Australia post thinks this scenario will carry on until at least June

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Not sure why Utube is the best form of info? Anyway, moving on ......

Both Adelaide and Brissy are doing well at the moment which means buying is harder in a sellers market.

My perception is that Adelaide is steady over the long term and Brissy has surges (avoiding saying boom/bust).

My Qld properties are probably gonna be better long term than my Adelaide one, despite having inner city location in Adelaide.

Just one person's view, good luck!!

craigc and twisted strategies like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If you want those 3 things, I'd go for a commercial in one of the Eastern Seaboard Capitals (or NZ if you ask @Beano)... not sure about the close to school bit though....

The Y-man

5. HaigJames

HaigJames Member

I think if you are only looking for yields over 6.5% you might be taking on extra risk. You will make more money from capital growth in a residential property so make sure you pick an area that has good growth prospects as opposed to seeking such a high yield