Travel & Holidays New Zealand Christchurch

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jins13, 9th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Going to spend Christmas and NYE in NZ Christchurch for the whole duration (not going to Auckland). One of my best friends is currently there atm and trying to convince me to make the move over because he feels that you can definitely make any dream come true by being in NZ!

Going to go in there with an open mind and explore the possibilities. Happy to receive and be directed on what I should be looking out for whether its investing in properties, fun things to do and etc.

Cheers

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A friend went to Christchurch to work a few years back.

He was there when the big one hit. If he hadn't stepped out for coffee he wouldn't have still been around. The story he has is horrendous.

But don't commit yourself anywhere without trying it out first. Don't burn your bridges until you've gone there.

You will have different ideas and tastes to your friend. You may well love it, or you may not. Go over and see with an open mind, as you have said you're doing. Have fun but investigate well. Make a decision afterward.

I've lived and worked in three other countries on three continents and loved every one. But sometimes things don't agree with you and you need to move on.

3. Charlotte30

Charlotte30 Well-Known Member

Dear Jins
    Happy to meet up for coffee to chat about property while you are here, as this is where I live. (I could not figure out how to private message you.)

jins13 likes this.
  4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Booked with Jetstar and leaving Sydney on the 27th Sunday and coming back to Sydney on the 1st Jan 2016. A good break and an opportunity to recharge my battery.

Bran likes this.
  5. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

I lived in Christchurch for a year until a few months ago. Beautiful place (shame about the state of the city centre though, recovery is imminent). Do venture out into the Port Hills and Banks Peninsula - Akaroa is the only French settlement in NZ but very touristy. Some spectacular walks and scenery all within a few minutes of Christchurch in those places.

6. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Lived my whole life there up until it got a bit shaken up. Akaroa, Sumner beach, Lyttelton, kaikoura, port hills, all the bays, etc. I'm a little bias but the best things about Christchurch isn't Christchurch but all the spots around Canterbury so get out of there when possible.

Cheers

jins13 likes this.
  7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the tip! I am so fortunate that I have a friend there who can show me around the place. He is trying his best to convince me to move over to Christchurch. He feels that Christchurch was what Sydney used to be 15 years ago!

He also reckons that the cost of living is alot cheaper as well. The lifestyle is meant to be chilled and laid back.

Last edited: 15th Nov, 2015
  8. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

The cost of living is similar to most parts of Australia (would be a bit cheaper than Sydney). Some big ticket items like education and health are cheaper, but day to day expenses are more expensive - groceries, petrol (was about NZ$2.10/L last time I looked).

You have to remember that Christchurch is still just a small city of around 370k, not even 10% of the size of Sydney. It's even smaller than Canberra! Laid back it definitely is. The city centre is still a bit of a ghost town outside business hours, but there is some interesting establishments and setups as a result of the earthquakes.

jins13 likes this.
  9. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

If you want to see how chilled the lifestyle is, go there in July!

I lived in Christchurch for about six years a long time ago (went to university there). It's a lovely place (pre-earthquake anyway), and great for cycling. The botanic gardens are very nice, but the beaches can be a bit chilly with a prevailing easterly wind.

A good place to live if you like skiing too. There are a number of ski fields a relatively short drive away (compared to going to the Snowy Mountains from Sydney).

GP

jins13 likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.