New Years Resolution / 2020 goals

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Big A, 8th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I highly recommend Bundaberg 33 OP Rum, you’ll sleep well:

FF30E1DB-3961-4BFE-A125-87A7514EFB7F.jpeg

willair likes this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

That would make even your nose hairs stand on end.

Haven't touched rum for I forget since how long ago. Quite a while with a G&T too.

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Nothing was standing after a session on 33 OP with my mate the other day:cool:.

SatayKing likes this.
  4. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

What a 12 months its been. Looking back over the year its been, how do you feel you went with achieving goals you had for 2020?

I went back and read my post and can say I have pretty much achieved what I set out to do even with all the chaos 2020 has thrown. I did increase my equities portfolio by 50% and I did a little less procrastinating and overthinking. Funny thing is I found myself at this time last year having spent the previous year over strategizing and attempting market timing which I gave up on by this time last year. Then with all the craziness of this year I went back to somewhat trying to strategize and time to only once again give up on it by years end and stick with what I said I would do at the start of the year.

So next years goal is to continue growing the portfolio but this time stick to the plan of no overthinking or attempting to market time for the whole year start to finish.

How did you guys go and what's ahead for the new year?

ChrisP73, Greedo, Anne11 and 4 others like this.
  5. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

Looking back, we achieved most of our goals, which for me was all about automating and less thinking. We purchased shares each month (same day of each month) which I'm happy to say we did especially given everything that 2020 threw at us. Our goals were about our savings rate and the amount that we invested, rather than any specific net worth target (control the things within your control and ignore the things outside your control like market movements). Here's to 2021 - may everyone achieve their goals!!

orangestreet, Greedo, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  6. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Well done on sticking to your plan and achieving your set goal. If you can do that in a year as crazy as 2020 then the following years should be a breeze.

7. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

It certainly has been an unusual year to say the least.

I have been pleasantly surprised that my living costs have come in well under what I estimated for the calendar year. Having spent a considerable portion of the year in a reasonably isolated and small community my outgoings seem negligible.
    The hardest part for me has been to refrain from checking portfolio balances, and accepting that the measures that I had put in place on retirement would sustain my lifestyle well into the future.
    All going well, nothing to change for the upcoming year.
    Returned last weekend to Yamba, after being in Karumba since early July.

mdk, Big A, Greedo and 1 other person like this.
  8. SatayKing

And, hopefully, cease looking at your holdings until it is time to buy according to your plan.

Probably the hardest part but it can be done with practice.

9. Isla_Nublar

I used to log in all the time, but the most that ever happens with ETFs/LICs is they either go up or down by 1% in a day - I've taken to flipping a coin and being content with the outcome, faster than having to type in my password to see what's happening!

10. SatayKing

Or neither. :D

The momentary lack of caffeine stimulant made me do it. Sorry.

11. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

This year started out so slow especially during lock down but the second half of this year has gone too fast.

looking back most of the above were achieved, although more work on the acceptance :)

the byproduct of COVID and not able to travel meant that we managed to explore local waterfalls, mountains and beaches. On the investing front : bought a fair bit during the Feb-Mar periods and have been putting regularly into super to max out the $300k cap, nothing exciting.

we also managed to exceed our spending budget

orangestreet, pippen and Big A like this.
  12. Isla_Nublar

I'll have to look to purchase a three-sided coin then!

SatayKing likes this.
  13. SatayKing

No need to purchase one.

Two faces + edge = three.

Or download Nickleback's Album.

14. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

It has been a great investing-year for us. We earnt a little more than previous years but also spent less than we did with previous years’ salaries. It feels like I have only FINALLY begun to understand the power of a high savings rate. We were hovering around the 50 – 55% rate for the last decade but only increased it to 70%+ this year. If we keep doing that, FIRE is a mathematical inevitability. Like @Isla_Nublar said, a high savings rate is the only goal that I now focus on.

With regards to the share market downturn, I felt like it was all a bit anti-climactic and was totally unperturbed by what I saw. I was disappointed that it did not last longer than a few months at best. When I hear podcasts and read articles about how many people were panicking and tried their best to avoid looking at their portfolio and whatnot, I began asking myself why I did not have the same reaction. Whilst it is tempting to pat myself on the back for having more intestinal fortitude than the average punter, it would be an incorrect assumption. I suspect the real reason is that deep down I possibly still think that I did not have enough invested for me to hit the panic button in the fear of losing it all. Perhaps I would have felt differently if I had 7 figures in the market? I will find out during the next bear market.

On the personal front, I think I made some gains in being a slightly less awful human being (as Mark Manson would say).:) I am much better now at just watching my thoughts and feelings and using them as a guide rather than chastise and judge myself harshly. To me that is growth.

Thanks to all PC contributors for your great posts and insights.:)

Parkzilla, mdk, Beginner1 and 7 others like this.
  15. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I had a good old laugh when the doomsayers were making all their dire predictions earlier in the year.
    I just check my share portfolio and the numbers are:
    1. Last 12 months, total return of 11.49% (average ASX return 13% pa).
    2. Since pre-COVID peak (in February), total return of 4.52% (better than cash).
    3. Since the bottom of COVID crash (in March), total return of 52.48%.
    Yep, this year has been a disaster, just like all the experts predicted NOT.

16. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Well - I didn't meet my goal.

I wanted to take $25k off the mortgage - and I believe I would have done just that - if I didn't lend my sister money so that she could purchase her first home.

I had to take funds from my mortgage to help her with the deposit. My Mum and I paid 20% of her purchase price so that she didn't have to get lenders mortgage insurance - and to be honest it was the only way the bank would lend her the money. She is now paying less on her home loan then she was paying in rent - so I am confident she will keep the house. I feel good to have helped her - and disappointed that my mortgage is now larger then it was.

PJ1, Islay, mdk and 2 others like this.
  17. ww2_nut

ww2_nut Active Member

Well I ventured into shares during March (purchased NAB) bought more NAB during their SPP and then bought a few other shares. Had some good wins (CCL made 48% in about 4 months) and sitting at about 36% up on the portfolio. Only share weighing me down is AVW which I took a punt on.
    We also decided to stay put in the Mildura area and not relocate to Bendigo and have upgraded our PPOR and sold our house off market for a great price (market is red hot im Mildura at present).
    All our IP's (2x Bendigo and 1x Mildura have gone up minimum 10% for the year and all have fantastic tenants in them.
    Managed to keep my job and cement my place within the business, also recently picked up employee of the month. (business employees 130 people).
    Managed to save heaps this year and have managed all the share purchases (roughly 18k worth) on savings earnt this year.
    Also just upgraded my vehicle from a car to a ford ranger 2010 model.
    So all in all despite 2020 being a crappy year, we as a family are in a far better position then we were we we started 2020.

sharon and Anne11 like this.
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are probably a dozen people in this country would rate 2020 as their best ever year. And all of them won lotto / powerball etc...and... Joe Biden.... and Donny...he still thinks he won.

[​IMG]

geoffw and Anne11 like this.
  19. SatayKing

I achieved my 2020 resolution/goal.

I didn't make any.

sharon, number 5 and Anne11 like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.