New Years Resolution / 2020 goals

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Big A, 8th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Dr Y-man. Has a nice ring to it.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe just Dr Y.

The Y-man

3. Player

Player Well-Known Member

......publish or perish Doc :)

Miss Player is in Japan right now doing a semester overseas in International Relations. She's enjoying it immensely.

hobo, Sackie and The Y-man like this.
  4. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

I have had a pretty good year. Family are great, the kids are growing up and the eldest spent yesterday reading a book (first time, normally we read to or with her). I am currently typing this at my parents house in rye upstairs with a view overlooking the ocean, lifes pretty great.

Work wise my responsibilities have grown, I am the 2IC and have about 30 subdivisions I am managing from 2 lotters to 40 lotters. Its interesting work with about 2/3'rd of the jobs outside of melbourne in regional/rural areas (the more interesting stuff!).

I finished studying this year after about 13 years (bach of commerce / cpa / bach of surveying / license) of after school studying over the last 17 years, so that was nice. I felt a hole where study used to be, i started thinking about studying again and thought pretty hard about doing law (interested in property law which would compliment my surveying). When i told my wife this she literally lost it at me, so decided to use my energy elsewhere, have started a side business which I have been thinking about and preparing for for years.

I found out that starting a business is hard. My 'time gap' from not studying has well and truly been filled with the business. I am not sure what I expected, but i think I expected it to be a little bit easier. I found motivation took a bit of a hit when I got some negative news, my thought patterns in relation to the business were knocked from this news and probably weren't completely right from the beginning. I met up with a mate who has created a really successful business over the last 5 years or so. In a few hours he completely transformed my thought patterns. I couldn't believe the change. Since then it has been looking up and I have a few potentials that if we get even one of them, will completely put us on the right path.

For motivation I have been reading (listening) to motivation books on my drive to and from work. I found 'the art of not giving a f...' was pretty amazing. 'Rich dad, poor dad' I thought was alright, i felt like so many of the principals are standard practice on this forum, so it didnt feel new. And have just started 'think and grow rich', which others have said is pretty good.

My new years resolutions will be: 1. continue to keep putting in time into the business to make it successful
    2. do more exercise, i had a tweek in my back about 4-5 months ago which is starting to heal so need to ramp it up a bit
    3. try to make the time with the family as 'quality' as can be, the kids are at a great age where they like us, so try to do something good with them as much as possible.

sharon, Leeroy93, mdk and 6 others like this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Where to start.

First off as usual I probably won't be able to control myself so a big thanks to @Simon Hampel, @wylie , @geoffw, @The Y-man and other mods for putting up with the likes of me. A thankless task in many ways and I consider they do a fine job. Kudos.

So I resolve for 2020 to continue to annoy them as much as possible.:)

For other resolutions none whatsoever. Will continue to plod on as I did last year and the year before that, etc, etc.

Cheers all.

sharon, wylie, mdk and 8 others like this.
  6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

or Dr Yes ?

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I’d been trying to think of other New Year resolutions to no avail. But saw yours and thought that’s just perfect for me also:cool:. Thank you oh wise one:).

number 5 and Big A like this.
  8. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s 80 units per year and not 80 units for the whole course? When I did my undergrad degree (which is a few hrs ago now), I did 24 units per year (3 units per subject, 4 subjects per semester, 2 semesters per year)?

Islay likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Just makes me realise how blessed I am to basically have someone invite me to do Masters by HDR (higher degree by research) without me even looking for it. I was looking to pay to do it through "normal" Masters by coursework (minimum quals I needed to keep teaching), but through HDR, the gov (read "you, the taxpayers" - thank you! ) pays for all my uni costs (in return for me contributing research work). To top it off, at the behest of my supervisor, the Masters by HDR morphed into a PhD, nothing out of my pocket and I even get $3k to spend towards costs from the gov!! (part of which was used to attend a conference in Kuching last year :D)

The Y-man

Big A, Anne11 and Archaon like this.
  10. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

As we head into the final hours of 2019, I hope those that have had a rough 2019 have a much better 2020 and for those that had a pretty good 2019 have another great year ahead.

I would love to resurrect this thread in 6 months time to check in with everyone who posted for an update with how they are tracking in there goals.

For myself I would have to say it’s been a great 2019. There is absolutely nothing I can complain about and would be happy if 2020 was much the same.

Thank you to everyone in the PC community for all the support and guidance throughout the last 12 months. It’s been a great learning and self analysing exercise and I think I have come out as a better investor. I am glad I engaged with all the wonderful members here and stopped being one of those lurkers who just reads posts.

Wishing you all a Happy and prosperous New Year.

sharon, mdk, Froxy and 10 others like this.
  11. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Great thread, always surprises me how many goals we achieve when writing them down, below is my list of goals for 2020.

Complete Suzuki TL1000R restoration
    Set new deadlift 1RM of 160kg
    Complete OxFam trailwalk 100km in March
    Rebuild cash buffer
    Increase passive income by 10%
    Fully renovate current PPOR bathroom.
    Adventure holiday to indonesia and climb Mt Rinjani (3700m)
    Move to new PPOR with double garage for start of Mini restoration
    Attain AWS and Azure certifications

Froxy, Big A and Toon like this.
  12. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20191231-114048_Drive.jpg

Froxy likes this.
  13. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

2020 ; Relax more, improve relationships and health. That will do me.

sharon, mdk, ellejay and 8 others like this.
  14. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Can’t think of anything bigs, so here they are:

- more compassion and acceptance of others
    - find ways to be creative
    - eat more plant based protein and getting leaner and more toned, improve endurance and cardio fitness
    - take regular breaks with family

Happy New Year everyone!

sharon, Nodrog, paulF and 5 others like this.
  15. APINDEX

APINDEX Well-Known Member

2019 was a good year on the investment front we finally reach an Inflection (?) point of where we can start to see some good results from our investing both on the growth and income side which is great as helps to keep me motivated to continue investing

2020 resolution continue to build the portfolio as much as we can, spend more time with friends and family, and last but certainly not least get back into fitness which has also suffered due to lack of time/family commitments

lixas4, sharon, Froxy and 1 other person like this.
  16. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Spot on!;)
    Identify what your bad habits are, these are personal to you, and then create a good daily habit instead.

For example:

BAD: I watch too much TV.:oops:
    GOOD: I will limit myself to one hour of TV per day.

BAD: I go to sleep too late.:(
    GOOD: I will go to bed before midnight each day and have minimum 7 hours of sleep per day.

BAD: I procrastinate.o_O
    GOOD: I will complete items on my to-do list every day.

BAD: I don't remember names and phones.:(
    GOOD: I write down names in phone and remember them.

BAD: I don't exercise regularly.:rolleyes:
    GOOD: I will do HIIT 5 minutes each day and walk min. 30 minutes 5 days per week.

BAD: I don't do my work-related reading.:oops:
    GOOD: I will read 30 minutes each day.

BAD: I don't spend enough quality times with kids::eek:
    GOOD: I will spend 30 minutes each Saturday/Sunday doing things together (reading, cooking, games, etc.)

BAD: I don't dedicate enough quality time with spouse:
    GOOD: Every Friday night is our night!:D

lixas4 likes this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Oh I get the idea now eg:

BAD: My wife puts a huge amount of effort into home brewing but some days I only drink one bottle of beer so very selfish in not showing greater appreciation for her effort.

GOOD: Increase daily consumption of Home brew:):cool::cool:.

lixas4, sharon, MWI and 1 other person like this.
  18. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

So I did say I wasn't going to do 2020 goal.
    I just made one - See if I increase my healthy lifestyle by 100%.
    It is a hard ask - but I did set myself to very high standards. :D

19. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

I have both of those. Bombay sapphire is my go to everyday at home gin, but four pillars is also delicious. Hendricks when I want to step it up a notch (the limited edition summer version with the purple bottle cap is also delicious).

20. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Just stop it @rizzle or you'll tempt me to take up full-time imbibing again.:(

As the temp here is quire cool this could hit the spot. Nice recipe:

A shot or more of dark rum, honey to taste, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon stick. Into a large mug, fill with hot water, stand cinnamon stick* in it for a while. Drink slowly.

* Suggest you remove the cinnamon stick otherwise it'll end up in your nose.

My apologies. I only realised now the post should be in the LIC thread.

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2020
    sharon and Nodrog like this.