New Years Resolution / 2020 goals

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Big A, 8th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Hoping to make alot of changes, i have been working on most of these this year things take longer than expected sometimes.

1. Buy a PPOR that requires a renovation
    2. Get a new job that pays a decent wage
    3. Try and get out to meet new people (I always find an excuse not to)
    4. Continue and improve upon my phyiscal training regime
    5. Join the army reserves
    6. Find a significant other (difficult when you dont go out to save every $1)
    7. Do not buy a car (an older ute is acceptable)
    8. Try to accept things as they are rather than trying to change everything
    9. Finish consolidating unneeded items (I want to live a minimalist lifestyle)

sharon, dankan421, Archaon and 2 others like this.
  2. Little Bend

Little Bend New Member

Ditto!

sharon likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Meet a cashed up lass. Problem solved. :cool:

sharon and Froxy like this.
  4. Maximus

Thats why im so focused on my physical training regime haha ;)

sharon, lettert, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Oh... nothing really. I don't need a new car... I was just teasing our slightly hyperbolic electric vehicle friend :) But if an AMG GT R came along at a bargain ...who knows? I'm very content with the C63S coupe to be completely honest .. it's a lovely car. Far more power than anyone can ever sensibly need , and it still makes me smile when it snaps and crackles and pops.... I don't need an upgrade.

I have been looking at electric scooters a bit lately though ...... so maybe I'll buy a hard core electric scooter of some kind just to dip a toe in the electric "vehicle" space...... except it's still not legal to use them on NSW roads , so I'd be limited to my driveway .... fun idea though.

On a serious note - 2020 is really going to be about a big focus on Dual Occ's . We got multiple builds underway in Goulburn and Orange in late November and we will be delivering the first tranche in late Q1 2020. With interest rates and vacancy rates as low as they are in both locations, we expect them to produce pretty impressive numbers ...

And like everyone, I'd like some rain... everywhere ! And not just for an hour or two....

sharon and Big A like this.
  6. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

My plan is to make the most efficient use of OPM. Mainly other peoples taxes.

And find a younger sugamommy

sharon, Redwing and Archaon like this.
  7. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I'll throw it down here, will have to come back to it seeing how i'm tracking.

2020:

Looking to lose about 30kg, not sure how much of this I will achieve in 2020

Looking to do Open Foundation or my HSC Equivalency to test to see whether I would be able to handle an Engineering Degree (Mechatronics perhaps)

2021:
    Looking to leave my current job due to unsatisfactory mental stimulation (I feel like i could do so much more)

Considering:
    Joining the ADF and studying a Engineering Degree there as the course fees are covered and they pay a salary whilst you are learning.

We sound like the same person, you aren't 32 are you?

lixas4 likes this.
  8. Maximus

Im turning 30 soon.

Dont snub your job if it pays well, do something on the side that interests you and build on that.

In regards to your weight loss goals. Consistency is key (Health is a lifetime endeavour), and dont discount the effectiveness of a proper nutrional diet.

Where the ADF is concerned be careful as the recruiters are not direct ADF employee's, they are a privately subcontracted company so they will try and push you a certain way just to get you to sign up.

Long story short they wont tell you what you got in your aptitude test but they will tell you what roles they think you are suitable for so you can't acctually dispute their assessment of you.

They kept trying to get me to sign up to full time roles even after i asked if they were part time roles and they said they were, i got a little wary after that and there is alot of fine print you gotta be carefull of.

Also you have a minimum serving obligation as a full time member, even more so if you will be doing a course through them (5 years i think??).

Im only interested in part time as i have good career prospects as a civilian but i enjoy being challenged and the reserves have no minimum serving period, can do weekends only if you want.

If you have no savings and no degree it could be a viable option for you, there are benefits and im not trying to push you to it but you do get free dental, healthcare and heavily subsidised accomodation (they can send you wherever they want though).

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Identifying a "bad" one then applying it.

Nodrog likes this.
  10. Archaon

Currently doing property developing on the side.

My Job pays well with hours put in, as I have done for the last 9 years (+5yrs at previous company, same industry), but it's brain dead work with no upwards progression (have applied for 6 promotions including moving interstate, but there is no appetite) despite my enthusiasm.

I supposedly scored well enough on my aptitude test to be applicable for any position in the Army/Navy/Air force (fighter pilot, etc).

He seemed like a decent enough guy, I was saying I wanted to be a helicopter pilot, he suggested I do helicopter mechanic to have a trade behind me.

I too was looking to sign up as a reserve, but my current BMI is prohibitive, hence the weight loss goals.

An engineering degree is along the lines of 30k a year, so 120k for 4 years, where in the ADF they pay you 50k a year and cover the course costs, so would be an 80k net benefit I'm thinking.

11. Maximus

Well your doing better than me if you have already done a development haha.
    Also he said do helicopter mechanic because trades are in short supply, they tried getting me into a trade as well.

In terms of an engineering degree isnt that the cost for an international student?
    I have a few friends that paid international rates and it was about that.
    An engineering course at university is about 9k a year for an Australian student utilizing HECS.

They pay your tuition and salary but you are just an investment they plan on utilizing down the track, not saying its bad as some people cant afford to study otherwise but know that you are obligated to serve for a minimum term.

I have always enjoyed bushcraft, camping, training hence my decision to join the reserves, I am not joining for the financial gain but the personal development.

12. Archaon

Me too, this is the reason for wanting to join the reserves, though they were pushing me full army at the time also.

13. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

@Archaon have a look at Commonwealth supported places (CSP's). You will still pay fees -HELP but not nearly as much as you are thinking. Commonwealth supported places (CSPs) | StudyAssist

Froxy likes this.
  14. Archaon

uni fees.JPG

Mechatronics is what i'm looking at, a year is 80 units and its a 4 year bachelor, so 30,420 per year.

I'll look into CSP, but the past tax returns i've had have been decent, I doubt i'll qualify for any government assistance.

15. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

30k/yr is the price for full fee paying students and perhaps you are one of those? If you are an Australian Citizen you may be able to get FEE-HELP (CSP's). I don't believe CSP's are means tested. Good luck what ever you choose to do

Froxy likes this.
  16. Maximus

Since you are eligible for ADF service (Australian citizen) then you are eligibile for a CSP, the cost should only be about 8-9K a year and the rest is subsidised by the government.
    Pretty sure the intake is closed but you could always do a bridging or tertiary preparation certificate in the meantime if you dont meet the educational requirements.

Archaon and Islay like this.
  17. Archaon

I've applied for Open Foundation (Free) at University of Newcastle, hopefully i'm able to do it in 2020.

Islay likes this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

After much discussion with my wife our New Year’s resolution is to try a different spirit being Gin. I mentioned Four Pillars being @SatayKing ’s recommendation. However the boss decided that Bombay Sapphire is the one to try first based on the fact that a friend who has unlimited finances and is able to afford anything he chooses drinks this as his regular Gin of choice based on taste not cost.

sharon, rizzle, lettert and 3 others like this.
  19. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Bombay Sapphire is our regular gin too @Nodrog. I was given a bottle of Archie Rose tailored gin for Christmas. Have not opened it yet but I am hoping we don't like it because its in another price range lol

Nodrog likes this.
  20. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Well-Known Member

Sure, start with Bombay Sapphire. But please don’t stop there!

Froxy likes this.