New Years Resolution / 2020 goals

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Big A, 8th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

As we are getting to the pointy end of the year, I figured a thread in which we can share our financial new year resolutions and set some goals for 2020 would be a good idea.

I will start. My Financial new year resolution will be to stop overthinking / procrastinating and just invest as much as I can as often as I can into equities. My 2020 goal is to increase my equities portfolio by another 50% in value by this time next year. :D

lettert, Toon, Archaon and 13 others like this.
  2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Pay down more debt. Migrate more loans to P&I. Buy another fantastically over the top and completely unnecessary ICE vehicle, just to "stand tall" :) Kidding.... Continue to poke the BS bears on here :) Not kidding

lixas4, Toon, ellejay and 8 others like this.
  3. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

Nice thread @Big A

Up my pre tax super cont to 5% of salary.(done today but including for momentum purposes):)

Purchase $12k of equities (2-3k p/buy)

Follow asset allocation

Build up cash in offset of my IP to possibly buy forever PPOR

number 5, Sackie, ChrisP73 and 3 others like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

5. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Thanks @Froxy . I would love to look back at this thread this time next year and have everyone post back how they went with there resolutions goals.

Now your talking my language. What’s on the Wishlist?
    I should add that my resolution includes not buying anymore cars next year other than what I already have on order. Actually make that my resolution for the next 5 years.

Anne11, TAJ and Froxy like this.
  6. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Apart from remaining healthy, nothing else phases me now.
    Happy with what I've got; don't need any more.

lixas4, Silverson, ellejay and 14 others like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I just got to dig back to copy and paste last years. Something about a commodore and a burn out.

icic, Empire, S.T and 6 others like this.
  8. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

My financial goal for the coming decade is to add nothing to my portfolio value. (a zero is nothing right)

The more important resolution is a limit of 1-hour screen time a day to get everything investment related done. Today seems as good as Jan 1 to start. Day one – Not one day.

I have transitioned from a very concentrated active approach to investing which required lots of time online for research and education to a passive and diversified approach which largely needs me to get out of the road.

Time requirements have shrunk massively but I haven’t yet fully reclaimed all that time saved in a manner that I am fully happy with. I have redirected too much of the freed-up time into online sources of mental stimulation rather than directing the time into physical world pursuits. Sitting at the computer and keeping the brain active like I did when it was “work” is the easy filler of time but it’s not ultimately what satisfies me.

700+ posts on PC is for me personally one example of the misuse of my time that I feel I have fallen into. A winding down active equity investor spending time on a property forum……… Really, what the…..how did that even get started?

Any rate, If I start to let my one-hour resolution slip, A symptom will probably be me inflicting Property Chat with too many ongoing posts full of dribble – anything more than 100 posts in 2020, could somebody please kick my butt and remind me that changes in habit require discipline.

Thanks

Empire, luckyone, DJC and 14 others like this.
  9. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Delete the rest of my social media, Instagram etc, have already done Facebook just finding the others tough due to staying in contact with some people on there.

Add another property to the portfolio before I turn 30 in June.
    Aim for promotion by April (increasing income)
    At least 1 renovation (could be on a new, or existing properties)
    Start a share portfolio from scratch with a mixture of ETFs
    Get married
    Visit another country
    Cut alcohol consumption to once a month
    Fight for the Aus title by years end

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ditto @datto (my ones, and prolly yours too but in the ute).

Big A and datto like this.
  11. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying and about wasting time, but with your posts there is a lot of very helpful advice that has made a positive impact on people and some times its not easy for a lot of us to accept and take action.
    So you have had a very meaningful impact on many of us by educating us which we are all very appreciative.
    Which all gets back to your desire of helping others in the most time efficient way.
    Just a thought to help you out, maybe start a Dunno thread where you can post your worldly investing thoughts to help educate people? Limit responses some how to cut out the dribble?

Thank you dunno

12. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

that's about 2 posts a week. :eek:

Better not ask you any silly questions that will use up those two posts. Then everyone else will have to wait another week to hear from you.

But I totally understand. I try and limit my screen time as well because that's what I think I should be doing. But I realised that I enjoy it and its not taking me away from doing anything else more important. So I will keep on doing it as long as I enjoy it.

The other thing I find is that in the real world there are not too many in my age group who have an interest in this world of investment. The under 40's seem to be mostly interested in who played what sport and which team won over the weekend. I tend to find its the 40 / 50 plus age group that tends to be more financially focused.

That's why I assume all you guys / gals on here are very old, getting around on your mobility scooters and walking frames. :p Except for @The Falcon who cruises around in his high performance car and I made the mistake of calling him an older gentleman not that long ago. Sorry @The Falcon . I assumed you were of a higher age bracket due to your high level of smarts and knowledge. :D

Ok rant over.

Toon, sharon, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Well, yes, that's me but at least I have the "decency" to re-engine the thing with this.

[​IMG]

14. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

Very simple.
    • Continue investing in VTS/VEU every 2 months
    • Get a raise
    • Increase my savings rate

ellejay and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  15. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Mate if you turn up at the local lawn bowls club with that thing they will cancel your membership. :D

Codie likes this.
  16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

That’s been one of the biggest changes I’ve made recently and intend to keep progressing in that direction.
    Careful that’s my job here. But if I sense that your posts ever begin to to deteriorate to the point where they fall into that category then it could result in a demarcation dispute:D.

17. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Get F'up during NYE for the usher of 2020.
    Then sober up and continue what I am doing....
    None of this NY resolution business - sorry that is just an excuse you make for yourself. o_O

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

You don’t know what you’ve been missing out on until you’ve participated in mobility scooter racing at the RSL club on a Friday night.

98F32349-2E19-4C2C-85D6-08C2E2653132.jpeg

The Y-man, Anne11, willair and 3 others like this.
  19. monk

monk Well-Known Member

If that's the new standard for mobility scooters I could be tempted to upgrade now from my beloved 150cc single pot screamer :cool:

Nodrog likes this.
  20. Hayden94

Hayden94 Well-Known Member

Become more present in my relationships, less stuck in the future all the time
    Move to QLD from SA (happening in Feb)
    Get married
    Be pregnant with our first child
    Two overseas holidays
    Renovations on two of our existing properties
    Add another property to the portfolio
    Continue taking steps towards being in properly full time
    Big focus on personal health (with specific diet, strength training and yoga goals)
    Complete online passion project

ellejay, Anne11, Codie and 2 others like this.